Empires Revival

Discussion in 'General' started by Metalsand, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

In fact you don't have to deal with heat dissipation, so "standard" engine with that speed actually isn't that shit.

2. Reznov

Reznov Member

So basicly you made jeeps more simple by giving them 1 engine?

What if I want more horsepower so I can climb a hill?
    What if I want more acceleration instead of speed?
    What if I want more speed instead of acceleration?

If you really want to simplify engines so much, go ahead and make a universal engine which handles "best" and give it effects of each engine that we have currently for all tanks.

i.e.:

Universal engine + Bio effect (No overheat stun)
    Universal engine + Adv. coolant (Faster cooling while stationary)
    Universal engine + Fission (Faster cooling while movement)

Who?

Discussions by ingame-people who barely use jeeps?

I don't know if you noticed but barely anyone drives jeeps anymore, and I can only think of 2 special cases you would use one nowadays.

1. Ninjaing enemy bases/CV in a dire attempt.
    2. Capturing refs/flags/map portions as engineer.

Where as option 2 is barely viable anymore because jeeps die in an instant, even more so because of terrible turning capabilities and horse power. If you were clever you would rather build an APC with 3-phase/gas-turbine or a LT/AFV to have a bigger chance of survival instead of wasting resources and a ticket.

And I really don't hope these people that complained about the earlier jeep handling were not pointing at the fact that the jeep "slides" too much, because you get the same effect if you drive a 3-phase BE medium (which still has better handling then the current jeeps).

3. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Oh ok so it's meaningless then.

No there is a 3rd group, and you and metalsand both go in there, people who's full opinion on empires is based on whether or not turbo is enabled on the server.

4. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

IIRC the current jeep engine has the best speed, acceleration, and horsepower compared to the old setup, all in one. Can't comment on handling or usage, but I'm totally okay with jeeps being only used in niche cases, much like artillery.

5. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Fuck I love it when people do this.

Right, go on. I want actual examples of who and when people say these things. I don't want "people", I want actual examples of people agreeing with your statements. It's so fucking easy to make vague statements like that when you think there's absolutely no way you have to back up your point, but I'm calling you out on that bullshit. Go for it, right now.

6. Reznov

Reznov Member

I just went ingame to try out jeeps again. Same result.

The best comparision I can make is jeeps are equal to artillery tanks handling except they are faster but artillery tanks handbrake a lot better.

I will make a god damn video to prove my point if I have to.

7. complete_

complete_ lamer

make empiresmod.com just a plain text changelog

and they will still make random shit up

8. 101010

101010 Member

I don't drop names.
    Look at what happened last time people spoke up against Candles.

Even you have defended keeping turbo before. It needed fixing but like you said you wanted a more realistic turbo.

vague statements -
    That's all we are given. Oh people wanted turbo removed, people want DOT removed, people wanted vehicle customization removed, and people wanted jeep handling to be shit.

Never said it was a democracy.
    What I said is hand it down.
    Your not doing shit with it.
    Candles quit.
    Pick some one active and hand it over.
    So that they can possibly get a team together.

And yes there are people here that can do it.
    So getting talent isn't the issue. It's getting talent that are willing to work with "current" people.
    Statement does not include all developers. Much love to Empty, and Beerdude.

9. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I see a difference between the opinions we are asking about and shittalking Candles behind his back.

10. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

to be fair, while we were the antithesis, HSM was an active commander and CW was short players. It was a super interesting story of heroic last minute steam messages to bridge differences and come together against the common enemy of empires, and have HSM completely rage it up in the most hilarious way.

But seriously that would have never worked.
    You lost the last active good Dev with the confidence and drive to push the game in a clear particular direction (ljke you are asking for)?

I have no understanding for anyone who has called for any dev to be removed, or talks shit about them and their career, their pacing, their changes.

If we still had Candles, ImSpartacus, and even Trickster on the dev team it would be a better game. If you guys helped the devs with twice the constructive criticism on what you liked and where you see the remaining problems, rather than constantly lamenting the new and the changes, it wouldn't be such a toxic position to be an empires dev.

People who stick their necks out get them chopped off. People who stick to slow steady changes and avoid the onslaught are now heralded as the best like Beerdude. They do good work, they shouldn't be the only ones left because you asshole keep cutting off heads.

I really don't care if you hated the fast and heavy changes of Spartacus, the direction of candles, or that Kenzo used the game to further his career (or something). The negativity doesn't just hurt the game, it drives out the devs. It doesn't just drive out the devs, it drives away the community. And now you have a sparce group of people with no clear head to cut off, and simultaneously no clear direction and vision. So with a lack of recent changes to lament, now you want to cherry pick and lament old ones, blame the currentire situition on those old changes (and the scout switch), and call it a revival? Fuck you.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  11. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

People wanted to play a match with epic, cw had no good coms, hsm was availible and willing.

12. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

2 thoughts that are somewhat related to thread. Having only one engine for jeeps makes it much easier to get handling to work the way you want it to. If you had those 5 engines and they had say 1000 horsepower range difference between them all you can get undesirable effects on either end of the scale. It just simplifies the whole process when at its base a jeep is about getting somewhere fast, though it was a wonky feeling to have a light tank chase and nearly keep up with me...

That's not such a bad idea though, better acceleration would be good on smaller maps with lots of turns and I can see the appeal on getting higher max speed on the bigger open maps. I just want to point out that you get better acceleration and better hill climbing at the same time, unless engines were fixed so you could have gear shifting on different engines which could be used to differentiate them.(Yes I will keep bringing this up.)

Other thought was the only changes that weren't really detailed were infantry changes. And those changes were handled by empty. He did rehaul the whole thing, it would have been a ton of text to sort through.

Oh and last thought is scout kept the bullet resistance, something it didn't have before the assault change. it's only 20% compared to rifleman's 30%, but still significant. Something it also has that I didn't realize is a 20% resist to grenades and and 10% resist to mines which no other class has. That's something. Scout is still assault in a way, it's really just the name changed back. I'm assuming it's due to people not liking name changes, but what do I know.

13. 101010

101010 Member

This right here..

Yes he did a lot of things people didn't like. But he documented as much as he could and tried to fix problems as fast as he could. Before he really even had a chance he was removed. People still ask for some of his changes to be added back.

Trickster did some amazing work before he went and got a high paying job.
    He also probably worked the hardest. As in there was no beta. There wasn't even steam. It was dropboxing scripts for testing, SVN and constant server restarts. Also it was figuring things out as he went along before most things was documented.

Not even going to discus Candles as my opinion is bias.

14. complete_

complete_ lamer

hey guys if we add turbo we'll finally reach 1000 players - this fucking topic
    i discussed you a couple hours ago but my post was deleted. i was also biased

15. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

For the record, I don't mind shittalking at all. What I mind is unsubstantiated rumors and accusations without evidence. Especially without trying to talk to me about it and going behind my back with it. That was what really got to me; I could take the shittalking but not the character assassination.

16. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

My post was also deleted, it wasn't even inflammatory and it was 100% on topic.
    Why hide the names, we gave the last person developer status when they were the source of the drama and problem.

For all we fucking know, they could become scripters if know their names.
    Infact, everyone look under your chairs.

17. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

That's what an opinion is...

18. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

And that's the thing. You know, I get that we have a "too many cooks" situation when the dev team doesn't have someone stream lining it, but people *culturally* just don't have an appreciation for the people actually touching the code.

I get this is a problem that is all too common to the gaming industry. But the amount of insults they get here is massive relative to communities of players that are orders of FUCKING MAGNITUDE bigger than the amount of players who have ever even installed this backwater mod.

There needs to be a cultural shift in attitude. If the shit with Candles doesn't highlight this deep unbalance of perspective, you haven't been paying attention (if Candles wants to make some distinction over passing some line into "character assassination" good on him, but we honestly need to recede far as possible past that line if we are going to maintain not getting there again).

Tbh, that line has never existed. People have made assumptions as far back as Krenzo. Mr. Voldemort obviously made this rumor mill realm mainstream, but we should not be embracing that sort of thing anyways. I'm asking, and hoping it's not too much, for people to allow themselves some respect for the people who spend their time grueling through code soup developed by
    40 different mindsets since inception. Change is always hard, you will not like everything, no community ever does, which is why Candles and all devs recognize shittalking is the expected norm. However it is the cool thing to do in this community, disproportionate and ugly, and you guys need to take changes, try to get used to them and accept the balance will be frustrating and in flux for some time until everything becomes familiar again, and suck it up. This is true of every game, the crucial fucking difference is your precious dev team will let you never experience another change again if you dgaf, there's no job or resume in this effort, just an appreciation for the game or the community.

TLDR - You take joy and appreciation away from your devs, your mod is dead. Be a little nicer, bear a little longer with the changes, try to find *something* you like about them, and try to understand you will not like all of them but it's not the end of empires.

This PSA brought to you by [insert shit joke here that is against the forum rules], I now return you to your regularly scheduled shitposting.

19. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

fuck i knew i killed empires, sorry guys

20. 101010

101010 Member

The word bias is usually reserved for opinions that are not impartial.
    You could have an opinion but still allow logic / new information to to influence
    your opinion. A biased opinion is based on a preconceived notion or idea about a thing, person or group of people based on personal beliefs.