Empires: Perfect union project (playable demo)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TheLiberalElitist, May 12, 2011.

1. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

Megel pitched a similar idea, where squad leaders had access to the command center, and could drop buildings, while in the command view, but then you would have people standing in base dropping unneeded buildings draining resources, also decentralizing the commander position would lead to more lone wolfing. Grant it I am still working on the UI. My idea would be to give the squad leader whatever his class the ability to drop "Field hospital" but make it similar to how the engineer would drop a turret, however this structure would have a time limit (3-5 minutes) and the cooldown would be 30 minutes. Also it would be weaker then the barracks by maybe half the health.

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

u are still thinking inside the box that is empires, but ofc such issues need to get addressed (and those so predicatable i almost find it insulting that you assume i didnt consider this).
    personal res (points) and split income from team archievments (res nodes) would still keep it a team experience.

also it can scale as long as commander isnt bound to a single player in a certain location. you can have 2 commanders, you can have 1 commander, you can have everyone commander. depending on server setting and/or vote outcomes - noone opts in? everyone is comm, bad for you - no doubt a dedicated comm will be more efficient - but not as bad as in empires.

3. flasche

i think you should take the risk. the worst problem of this, which is buildings and research, is so evident, that its avoidable by various means beforehand (and i dont want to argue all in public, since i cannot answer to a hundred guys at once)

the rather unpredictable part, like the detachment from the RTS element, as it happend in empires, it what bothers me more.
    if we are totaly honest, in empires you could scrap the comm completely and it would be pretty much the same game for the majority of players.

they probably wont even notice - i mean, they love those maps without a comm the most ...

edit:
    also, another issue that sucks is, that sitting on your fat ass in a fragile vehicle for a whole round is simply put - BORING. thats what made me start to think of ways out of this dilemma - thats what brought me to this view in the first place. all other arguments emerged in discussions with players ...

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  4. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

The commander is an integral part of empires, without it, there is nothing to really separate it from a game similar to Battlefield. Unfortuanately without having some type of commander the system does not work, and you would have chaos. But since nothing is set in stone at the moment, and I am still working on the core game mechanics I am open to any suggestions if you have a way to make it "better" while removing the commander.

5. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Consistency. You have to maintain consistency (among other things) so people have a freak'n prayer of learning your game.

Changing the number of commanders is not only unintuitive, but inconsistent.

6. flasche

consitent with gameplay not yet existent?

7. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Afaik this project was supposed to be "What Empires could be". If they started changing fundamental aspects of the game, then it's not that. I think Liberal knows full well what I'm talking about, and he definitely knows what he's doing, so just let him get on with it rather than questioning the basics. I'm really looking forward to this and I'll be really upset if some fag convinces them to water it down.

8. flasche

keep denying what is evident. empires has severe design flaws deep within its core gameplay dynamics. in the end its nothing more then some random, rudimentary rts elements glued ontop an at best mediocre fps game.
    this was genious as long as it didnt exist for 6 years, really its time to put this genre to the next level ...

... also as a whole this approach was from the wrong side - to bad krenzo couldnt know beforehand. such game should be built from the rts side, not the fps one. start with the complex game, then put the simplistic fps ontop (not talking codewise, i know the whole vehicle physics and shit can be some lines). anything else will never work satisfying and the rts will always have the stale flavor of playing something a trained monkey could do aswell ...

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  9. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I think you're too much into dynamic RTS games like Starcraft to enjoy Empires flasche. No offence meant.

10. Krazer

Krazer Member

The commander should be able to designate players on his team who can also drop buildings. However they would drop them from their fps view and not com view. Also com would still only be able to do research and most other things.

That's just something off the top of my head. The main point being there needs to be a way to spread out the responsibility of the commander through multiple players without diluting the role.

11. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Dear God, you're talking about having multiple commanders. Scaling from one to many coms would require fundamental changes in how Empires works. On one side, you might have something that resembles Empires with a single com, but on the other end, you have a completely different game.

Everybody (including myself) wants to play super mega designer, but we really don't have revolutionary ideas. Just chill and let them have their vision.

There's a difference between giving some design advice and changing their vision. You have to be able to figure out what is their vision and what can be changed to achieve their vision. It's not easy to give advice and not step on people's toes.

Or you can just sit back and look at their awesome art and scripts.

If Liberal & Co. want to do that, squad leaders wouldn't be a terrible choice for limited com powers.

Players already understand the concept of a responsibility hierarchy, so it might be doable. Personally, I would keep squad leaders in first person view at all times. Maybe they could call in refs (in their area) and trivial stuff like that.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  12. flasche

exchange it with CnC, Warcraft, SupCom, CoH, DoW, ... whatever, its an example ...

13. flasche

as far as i understood liberal, this game wont be a 1:1 copy of empires. if he said it would, id let all hope go instantly.
    empires is flawed at there very core idea of blending FPS with RTS (instead of the opposite). the whole RTS part in empires could be exchanged with timed scripts and preassigned base setups and 90% of players wouldnt notice a difference whatsoever (and for a lot of rounds with newbies as comm, this would be an improvement!)
    in the end the commander can only fuck over a team, but not win it (at least not in a way that requires a player to be commander - you can direct a team from FPS view just fine), so as soon as players get a little better, they notice that they are a way more valueably asset on the battlefield then in the comm chair.
    why do you guys want to keep this? you complain about how boring it is to command and on the other hand you defend the reasons for that.
    the reason being, you wont get out on the field and kick some ass - unless you pull the hobbes. and what this means, how people react to that - go ask hobbes, i have every sympathy for his playstyle.
    its actually how one should be able to play comm from 0s into the game (like it was in 2.12), he should be with his troops, right at the front.
    thats where you could actually archieve something as comm. now its just dumb sitting a few meters above the battlefield, raging at your team for not listening to you.
    thats bullshit, you all know it - u cant tell me you find commanding to be something rewarding or that its fun in any way (except for boomtanking, but its unwanted gamplay, thats why cvs get nerfs)
    the whole idea of a single commander with a single vehicle as target is flawed. it raises more issues then it solves.
    i assume you didnt mean to say this like that? if krenzo, who was no proffesional game designer either, and other gamedevs would have thought that way, you would never have played empires, but pong9001 ...
    all i ask is, grow some. emancipate yourself. do your own thing. copy what is good, scrap what is bad and replace it with your own ideas.
    all i offer is my ideas (and if i get working what im doing in unity atm, ill throw this in the pool aswell). i dont charge anything for that, use 'em or not. its not like i try to force something upon anyone? see, i dont have a overview of how liberal sees the gameplay working in the end, but it would be a pitty to make the same design errors, just because you dont have the balls to do your own thing ...
    wait what, didnt you say that'd be horribly inconsistent because its not like that in empires ... :rolleyes:

believe me, im very interested in seeing this baby come to life. im very interested because i dig the blend empires is, what do you think made me stay here for all that years?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  14. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I see many similarities between Empires commanding and those games like WC3, CnC etc.

The only things different are responsiveness and swapping from commanding to fighting.

15. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

As far as I have noticed Liberal is trying to incorporate everything that Empires on Source had which:
    1. is impossible, he has no resources for it
    2. is incoherent, there are countless features fighting with each other
    3. satisfies forum trolls but as soon as they start playing they'll whine about it like hell
    4. doesn't bring any real fun for new players, old ones are bored anyway (see 2.)

But that's just what I think I see from far away as observer.

16. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

5. Mootant cries because he want to do it himself? :)

17. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

I am not sure what you mean by resources?

The only thing really missing are animations for player models specifically, but everything else is already been created.

Don tried to rip them from the game, but I could not use them for dynamic movement in Unity because it was missing key animations. I am trying something else in blender where I use bvh motion capture files then take existing movement, modify them to match my needs. Also I have looked at cheap Mocap software as an alternative so I can make more organic animations.

I spent the project up into mini-sandboxs to make it easier on me, and if I can find another programmer, for them to focus on one aspect.

Right now those mini-projects are:

flight(about 50% done as seen in the videos)
    multiplayer(25% )

FPS(25% no animations wanting to wait to really daive into some of the dynamic movement used in other unity projects)

UI(50% I keep changing my mind on how the overall style, and working out how I will recreate the armor/plate system, and instead opting for a percentage for overall armor instead. Alos playing with adding a persistent skill tree where players could define there own classes )

Tank(50% The tank script I wrote is very simplistic, and needs some major tweaks for realism sake, but it works. )
    Watercraft(50% players and boats have separate properties when it comes to water, since using the same script for both was challenging. Got the submarine to dive below water, now just have to add realism to how it behaves, and define the role of the boat. )

RTS(50% I have a working RTS camera which I have been testing. Still figuring out how I am going to tackle building placement, but right now the script I wrote detects the terrain height using raycasting. its coming along, but not quite there.)

I have all the resources I need to finish my project, if I had a few more people helping me, and more time I could of had something playable sooner, but atm I have to think about real world thing, and plus I work two jobs, which leaves me drained when I get home, so the only time I can really focus on coding is during the weekends.

18. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Perhaps this is what moody is talking about? The resources he mention mentioned might be time to code and programmers.

19. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

I'm mostly talking about the scope of what you're attacking vs resources you have available. I remember Krenzo's statements about 90% of gameplay code, aircrafts code being done and only waiting for models and so on. Like he said afterwards it was to a degree caused by HL2 hype. I just wonder what kind of drugs does your dealer sell if you're saying you can implement all that and polish it given 20 h max per week.

20. flasche

meth? scnr