Empires: Perfect union project (playable demo)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TheLiberalElitist, May 12, 2011.

1. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

No they don't, doesn't matter what game you play load times aren't dependent on map sizes.

2. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

This is the dumbest comment I have ever read on this forum.

And there have been some dumb comments.

3. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

We can expand our horizon together if you wish...

4. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

kekeke no

Serious answer: Load time is dependent entirely on file size. More detail does not directly correlate to a bigger file size. I could, theoretically, store 3-4 layers of vegetation data entirely in one 2d map, making a huge amount of vegetation data only take up maybe 500kb. Also, in Unity, terrain is stored as a heightmap, so those epic sized terrains are stored in very small files (unlike Source's displacements). Additionally, water in unity probably takes up 15 bytes per plane of water.

5. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

We're still working on it...

[​IMG]

6. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

Tweaked it a little more

[​IMG]

7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

is that the gear purchase menu?

if so, it looks really well atmosphered

edit: is there a reason heavy armour costs less then light or am i misinterpreting things?

8. complete_

complete_ lamer

its the amount of weight one can hold

9. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

That is the NF purchase menu. Heavier armor weighs more so you can't can't carry as much. All of those values are just arbitrary though.

10. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

This is looking more and more interesting Megel. When can I see more ingame shots?

11. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

I need to make better unwraps of the Beast, the Falcon, etc. so that I can make proper bakes. I should have done that today but I was working on the Submarine HUD instead.

12. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

why do weapons add extra weight limit too?

13. complete_

complete_ lamer

you're the worst

14. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

btw you wanted to mail me the (stingray? was it?) for unwrapping

15. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

Trying out a new aircraft script, now you can do barrel rolls with the A and D keys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luYMsecWASc

When trying to create a build Unity is giving me an error that does not allow it to finish, so am talking to the unity devs about the error, but waiting for them to reply back.

Also for the commander I have two ideas for it

Command Center
    a static structure where the commander can access the commander menu. Removes the mobility of the commander.

Commander Airship
    The commander keeps his mobility from the mod, but this time can float in the air, and also move freely. The commander can also drop repair bots to build bases close to any friendly barracks. The airship would not have weapons, and also only the commander would be able to get into it. when a vote to kick the commander is initiated the commander is kicked, and a new vote is started for the new commander. when that commander wins he is transported directly where the airship was left. there will be other restrictions for the commander, but similar to now once the commander's ship is destroyed the round will end. To prevent the command ship from being isolated. The commander can build Shield towers which drain resources but create a shield around the ship to protect it from damage. For urban maps I was thinking of bringing back the Command vehicle.

16. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Nice! <3 the barrel rolls.

If you go the mobile com route, just make sure there are no exploits where a team can render the com immobile. Putting him in the air is a good way to prevent an immobile com, but I'm sure people will manage to stop him.

17. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

id actually scrap the single comm route and find ways to make the rts part available to everyone while you are reinventing empires.
    i thought about a couple of ways if you are interested ...

18. ViroMan

I would go with command centers and make it able to have two per team. If ever voted out you can't get back in for the rest of the round unless there is no current commander.

19. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

its such a waste to only make it accessible to 2 players out of 64. this also might bring some further attachment to the RTS part, witch doesnt solely decide, but has a major influence on the FPS side. at least in empires i often have the feel that people that run and gun often completely forget about the commanders needs ...

also, especially for squadleaders the comm camera and waypoint system would be simply awesome tools. and even the average player might get a deeper insight in whats going on on the battlefield, when he is allowed to see through the eyes of the commader ...

and further, you could split the "burden" of commanding further. for example you could make building and research (in a whoever clicks first, acts first manner) accessible to everyone if no commander is elected and so on ...

i think the strict line between RTS and FPS does a game like empires no good. my dream would be no FPS with RTS ontop, but a RTS with an FPS ontop - means you dont play either comm or troops but both at the same time, all the time. a bit like starcraft, just that you can get into units and get some buffs so a player controlled unit will always be better then a AI controlled one. so if you play in teams, you dont play comm+players vs comm+players but faction+faction vs faction+faction, like in starcraft or thelike.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  20. ViroMan

letting anyone be com at any moment? lmao U kidding? you thought we had issues before? wait till there are 7 year olds plopping down all kinds of crap or issuing orders. and then some other 7 year old doing the same thing... it would be pure chaos and no res.