Empires on UE4?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by thomasfn, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

ARRR! IT'S B'COS I BE A PIRATE!

But really too much pride to ask others for help? Really? That's what you're going with? Thanks, you made me both smile and facepalm at the same time :)

Okay, if you want to do this my suggestion is you research the new engine and try to find comparisons with the source engine. It will greatly help your team if they know what to expect with the differences.

Next, you'd probably want to decide if you're just recreating Empires as it is in the UE4 or not. It sounds like yes, so you might want to ask the devs if you can have permission to use the models in your game.

While you're waiting for people to join you, you might want to get to grips with the engine, since if you're going to manage the progress you'll need to understand the limitations and difficulties with the processes in using the UE4 system.

Then you might want to think about the licensing costs and how to go about being able to publish what you've made - after all there's no point using the engine if you won't be able to actually release the game.

Good Luck! :)

2. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Yes. Because that would totally be easier than just porting the game to Source 2 ourselves. Using an even more limited feature set with a shitty scripting language that's designed for application extension and not creation on a platform infested with some of the most annoying of people. Brilliant idea.

3. Empty

Empty Member

I personally would not recommend trying to build something in gmod.
    Nobody will play it, even if you make it really good.

4. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Empty would know, his master piece was ignored by the masses.

Which is a shame, the originality gave it potential.

5. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Um, dude, this is exactly the state Empiresi is currently in: people from the community get interested in development, work on it a bit, and then leave. Working really well, isn't it? /s

I seriously hope you try and get a team together and work on a port just so you can realize how incredibly naive you are

6. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Maybe we should cartoonise the graphics, call empires "A true Indie experience", make the dev team adopt a properly shitty souding name and start a kickstarter for it. If the community can't get enough dough to get some professional work done, maybe we can scam some really guillible people (read: sjw's) to shell it out for us.

7. BigTeef

If that is the case.

I will pose as a transgender and make a tumblr account, and victimize myself while shilling the game.

Just like the empires forums but fake.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  8. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

As long as no money is involved. If it becomes commercial then things get very very complicated very very quickly.

I don't think I can really add anything to this conversation that Candles or Beerdude haven't already said, or Jephir via the quoted post.

Only one thing I really need to ask people.

What do you actually think a dev team would do with money? Like seriously, I sit here and I can't think of anything. I mean you could pay for artists but those artists should really be on the team anyway. You could use it to pay to live, but most people have other incomes anyway. The only reason I'd see for donations would be to support any developmental costs (server), which would probably be minuscule anyway. I don't understand what you think $10,000 would buy you with regard to game development.

9. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Money? Either we don't need it, or we need ridiculously a lot, say $100,000.
    I think this is why they took off "Donate" button anyway.

But I doubt it's going to be hard to get like $100~$500 for Empire. I have some ideas about how to use it.

1: Next time when we are about to push out something really big and a wave of new players is expected, we can pay for some temporary servers, say like five 35-slots servers and see how things go.

2: Reward for some design competitions or similar stuff, I've seen quite a few with the reward of $10~$30.

3: If Candles got hit by a car.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  10. Candles

That's an actual thing in software development, by the way.

The main point in money would be to purchase things like infrastructure and possibly assets. With a sufficient amount of it, the idea becomes that you can pay people to professionally do it; for example, pay a programmer to work on it 40 hours a week. The issue with that is two-fold. First, it assumes that people won't do it for financial reasons. A lot of people have either jobs they want to keep for other reasons, want to find a job that actually helps further their career or they have other commitments in the way, like attending university. Second, the people you'd get as such who treat it as an actual job are doing exactly that. Doing it as a job, not as a contributor to the community. Once the money is gone, they'd go with it, which is detrimental to the long-term success of a project. So you'd want enough money to pay for such people over a long period of time, certainly more than a year. And obviously, if there's one guy who's receiving compensation, everyone else who contributes would want just comparative compensation for their work too (Which is one of the fundamental issues with donating to Empires right now; why should, say, Beerdude and I receive money as programmers when we'd just be building off of what Krenzo and Kylegar and Mootant and Coffeeburrito and... You see how complicated this gets?)

Keep in mind, in no way am I opposed to porting Empires to a new engine. But it's important to keep in mind that building a game isn't an easy task, no one wants anything to do with UnrealScript, UDK and Factions, and there is no such thing as a good platform for Empires. (Source 2 might change that, but only time will tell.)

11. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

well... you could always pay someone to port to a new engine and possibly get away with that rather then adding new content. ppl couldn't complain about paying someone to do that could they?

12. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Just my two cents on the facts with UE4:
    Art:
    I would be able to fully utilize Substance's texture capabilities and make textures react to code based events or make the controls for them available for mappers. (Lot's of reusable textures)
    "Coding":
    I could help with the coding in UE4 by either directly coding or using their new blueprint system.

Other than that I don't see any advantage on my part for porting to UE4. Oh yeah and MAYBE better performance and already existing vehicles...

13. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Speaking of Source 2, has anyone of you had their hands on the Source 2 alpha yet? You can basically have a preview at the stuff with the "Dota 2 Workshop Tools Alpha".

Little introduction video: http://youtu.be/Yua-6xrV9Es

14. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Outsource the development to Taiwan or Korea :rolleyes:

That's literally all I could think for some game no one knows about.

15. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Ye, we get us 2 friendly developers from India that work for 2€/h and let them port Empires to UE4. I wonder why no mod used this strategy before.

16. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

You want code notes written in bollywood?

17. BigTeef

I kinda want to see that, it cant be worse than what we already have.

18. Candles

Oh dear God, it can and would be.

19. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I've seen some bad code, and some worse documentation, I'd be ten times glad to see music scales and dance routines in the comments than whatever duct taped monkey poo the Empires comments have.

20. communism

communism poof

just be happy we are prolly the longest lived source mod out there
    (and some of us are good at doto too)