Empires on UE4: UE4 is FREE edition

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Kylegar, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

There are a lot of things I don't like about planetside. None of them are the cosmetic enhancements. Though I don't really look at those since they're mildly unnoticeable (to my limited experience) and with people blinky blinking in and out I pay more attention to that and being sniped :p

Don't get me wrong, Planetside has a good base for a game, but I've never felt really connected in it. There's heart missing, for me, and I know you can replace heart with community, but that still doesn't give it to a game. It means players like me, who've played a fair amount but not loads, just get isolated.

Also Planetside utilises highly un-visible gameplay compared to Empires - it's designed with a lot of subterfuge in mind, compared to Empires which is more about seeing the enemy and targeting them.

Babbled on about Planetside, but that's really uncalled for since we're just talking hats. Which will probably be cool...so...I'll go away now :p

2. Redskull

Redskull Member

I imported my NF medium tank just to see what it would look like, pretty impressed despite the lack of any specular map.

[​IMG]

3. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Shit looks sexy.

4. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

I wonder if you add some nf decals on it.

As to stay on topic, would it be feasible to have some support for random textures? Im kinda thinking when a vehicle spawns it can spawn with some decals that set it apart from the other vehicles. (Military markings for Be, some emblems or different cannon barrels for Nf)

5. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

blueprints have a random function that can do just that, you just feed different things you want to randomise and it randomly chooses between each. Whether you have to create different textures or are able to throw up different decals I can't say, that would be up to whoever implements it, but yes it's feasible.

6. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Im just throwing it out there, it seems like a somewhat of a easy way to make the game seem to have more detail while also making it so players can communicate wihtout having to say "the x third from the left'.

Oh and before i forget, a minor powergoal that id think would make the game look kinda cool, as id not seen it anywhere else : Tanks affecting the ground they drive on. Threads make mud flap around [why do empires map dont have any muddy ground anyway] and leave visible marks, ditto grass or sand.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  7. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

No, there wouldn't be any of that.

We have to write tank code anyway. Stuff like turret rotation, multiseat vehicle... etc. It's 100% on us to decide how tanks will behave and make it happen.

8. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Team selection now works.

[​IMG]

That came out WAAAAAAYYY better than I expected

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  9. 101010

101010 Member

When the tank code is made you could always sell it on the UE4 marketplace.
    Along with any other content. Might help with funding Empires 2.

10. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

They don't allow C++ code on the marketplace, unfortunately. I could probably do it in bp and it could kinda work, but I eventually want to move that code to C++ for Empires 2 for performance reasons.

11. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

so i wanted to play around with navmeshes and behavior trees to evaluate the possibility of harvesters and other comm controlled bots/vehicles yesterday.

in the end all i did was fucking around with this bs epic launcher shite.

my problem is the following, i had 4.7.1 installed, i could start it just fine but when i started the launcher yesterday it started to update to 4.7.2 - it never managed to finish.
    it gets stuck in a validation loop. it validates up to 100%, then drops back to 90, starts downloading some MBs, rinse repeat and its never ending.

i went through this https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Troubleshooting_Launcher_Problems already. only thing i dont want to try is wiping my hdd and reinstall windows from scratch.

after that i tried 4.6.1, it installs fine, i cant roll back to 4.7.1 its no option in the installer, but we are at 4.7.2 anyway?!
    it seems like im not alone with this, seems like theres even a ticket open for that, but since asking usually doesnt hurt, does anyone have any idea what else i could try?

well thats how i wasted my sunday - if nothing halps, ill keep researching by myself and join you with 4.7.3 or whatever the next version is, hopefully its fixed by then - hope yours was more successful :\

12. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Yup, I have the same problem.

13. 101010

101010 Member

Took me about 7 hours then it finished.
    Downloaded fine.Took about half hour.
    But the validation was at 90% after 6 hours. Didn't notice. (was playing assassin's creed rogue)
    Closed it removed read only from the files. Restarted it with uac virtualization
    About a half hour later it finished.

14. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Try just deleting the engine and redownloading

15. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

ofc i tried that and reinstalling the launcher aswell. i also left it running in the loop for a few hours.

im trying out 42s solution atm. not done yet

edit:
    well, no luck either.

but i noticed i could start the editor from the 4.7 engine folder.
    anyways, ill just wait a bit and use 4.6 for now. i doubt ill touch many features that underwent dramatic change.

16. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Most of the engine underwent a dramatic change in 4.7. The project is not compatible with 4.6

17. zenarion

zenarion Member

Would you chose one version and stick with it?

18. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Not my fault Epic keeps releasing cool shit with each version. There are a number of things that will be in 4.8 that I really want to use (dynamic navmesh generation, DFAO (distance field ambient occlusion), Future Async framework (dispatch out a task, do other things, when you need the result of that task the code then waits))... so we'll be upating to that when it comes out.

I want to keep the game updated on engine versions regardless. Epic is constantly iterating on the engine, optimizing it and improving it. Keeping updated is just going to be part of the development process.

19. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Is anyone able to take a look at getting the Empires assets into Unreal Engine? I have the SMDs, I just need someone with modelling experience who can figure out a conversion process that works. When we get the process figured out, we can delegate the actual conversion work to a bunch of monkeys community members to help out.

20. 101010

101010 Member

Install the smd plugin for blender. Then
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC1_m0VdKIY

I would think that every thing would be better off if textured in UE4.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015