Empires Mod 2.0 and PR

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Evan, Jul 30, 2007.

1. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

I still don't think 2.0 would give the impression it's a big update.

Posting a nice big changelog with 1.08 on it is just as effective imo.

2. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

i agree.. i think you guys are making a big deal over somthing so small.. the name really has nothing to do with how great this mod is

its 1.8.. i doubt that changing the name will effect anyone(importants) thoughts on the game

3. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

god dubee is our voice of reason....

*shakes head*

we're in trouble people

4. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

It just could confuse people a bit because latest public version is 1.071b and if it gets renamed as 2.0 or 1.8, people will most likely ask where they could have downloaded 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6 and so on -versions.

So that's why I would have prefered 1.1 version most.

5. Chahk

Chahk Member

Even though it's a higher number in the decimal sense, 1.1 just sounds like a giant setback from 1.071b. And for those asking what to download we'd tell them to RTFM, or at least look at the Download page on empires.com, which will be ready by then (I hope).

6. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

is empires.com in the works?

7. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

i think he ment empiresmod.com.

8. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Not if you huge changelog will be attached. If you would see 1.06 to 1.07 changelog and 1.07 to 1.08 changelog you would be amazed that such huge amount of work was done.

NS had 3.2 release and it didn't look spectacular by number change but changelog was interesting (well except the thing that they fucked up siege maps).

9. Chahk

Chahk Member

Yes I did, sorry.

Nobody is worried about players who will actually read the change log. The problem is with people who prejudge mods by their pre-release hoopla. 1.8 (or 1.08) just doesn't convey the fact that a huge amount of work has been put into the mod in the past year since the last update.

10. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Exactly. If we want masses of people, we have to expect the majority of them to not be dedicated changelog readers. Hopefully, most of them will have never played the mod before and a changelog from a previous version they hadn't played won't matter.... just the features included in the PR release they see.

11. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Why the big deal over nothing? Call the damned thing whatever you want, just paste a changelog...

Anyone who has enough braincells to install a mod, or to even to look for them will atleast take a SCROLL through the changelog...

I know I do...

This has become less about PR and more a shitfest about the version numbering... Focus on what you will actualy do and worry less about what it will be called

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  12. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

FTW.

I for one do care about the change numbers. no, I won't be installing insurgency 1.1... and I won't check the changelog either. I know for a fact that it is going to be more of the same gameplay. call me fickel, or whatever you want to call me, but there are thousands more people like me out there, that want to know that this is not 1.0 any more. this is nothing like the beta 1 release- a million miles away. let's give this mod what it deserves.

13. ooger

ooger Member

www.bluesnews.com, is another good place to do PR for the public launch, the site's been around since '95.

14. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Most of those people not interested in change log don't have any memories from playing 1.07 or earlier versions. You're worrying too much.

For example even if it will be named "1.08" there will be people who will say that it's piece of crap just because there are no aircrafts.

15. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

http://empiresmod.com/

Update the main page's news section.

Insert changelog on there as text.
    Edit: Well, I think it wouldn't be good idea after all because then the page would be miles long. So...

Insert link to the changelog in the message.

Add download links in the end of the message.

Like Zombie Master's makers do or anyone else: http://www.zombiemaster.org/

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  16. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

Weedy, I agree with you completely. I don't think it really matters what we call the new version, 2.0 sounds great, but I do know that we need to promote it like empires has never been promoted before, because I think that the game lost a lot of players when it was initially downloaded when the mod first came out. I know of plenty of people personally who don't play empires and I cannot convince them to download it because they played version 1.0 and it was that bad.

Version 2.0 or whatever (sounding better by the minute) needs to be promoted because, quite honestly, the game hasn't been updated in a long time and the community could use a boost in population. The only people who play empires at this point are us forum members. We need more players, plain and simple.

Great plan Krenzo and Weedy and I'll do whatever I need to to promote it. Just let me know where you need me. I'm already on grassroots.

17. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Until 1.08 is finished, nothing should be put on the news page, or you'll see a lot of new people coming, and leaving.

18. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

has someone got a page of text, with pictures, that we can give to ALL the sources at the same time. just so we can proofread it, improve it and such, here.

19. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

yes this is being worked on by myself and Lithium

20. davee magee

davee magee Member

YOU HAVE TO UPDATE THE FRONT PAGE MORE OFTEN!!!!!!!!!!!

when ever i enter the site, im greeted by the same sight.

if i didnt know that the forums were active, (and play regularly) i would think this mod was dead in the water...