Empires Mod 2.0 and PR

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Evan, Jul 30, 2007.

1. arklansman

arklansman Member

And get reviewers that are smarter than that twat who can't figure out what an armory is.

An aircraft teaser a couple weeks after release certainly wouldn't hurt. I would suggest doing another media release somewhere in the neighborhood of right now, then another in a week or two with the trailer announcing a release date.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  2. Lithium

Lithium Member

If you need somone on your art team (at least temporarily) I'd be happy to help. I can provide some concept sketches of whatever empires related thing you want.

here's an art project I did for school last year

here are some random sketches I made:

master sword/pedistal of time
    Jungle ruins concept
    --------------------------------

Anyways, I really think that empires needs an advertising campaign for the public version of 1.08, It's just such a huge change and deserves more people to enjoy it.

regarding the name we should stick to the original plan and just name it empires 1.8 as many people stated before 2.0 would suggest airplanes.

It wouldn't hurt to idiot proof it.

3. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Empires at this point deserves version 2.0, it seems alot more finished and like a milestone: The full integration of LAG FREE VEICHAL COMBAT.

I simply do not understand why people seem to focus on aircraft so much, please tell me another mod with veichle combat similar to that of empires? or the mix of both tanks and infantry? The only other one I can think of is "Strider Mod" but even then its not that original as empires, which includes such customization of veichles, it would make ES or Iron Grip cry...

With what happned with the initial public release, it feels like empires has been remade 2 times.. (First with 1.071 which is amazing in its own right) and now with the changes that RC 17 brings in; how can you possibly not say that theese major changes deserve version numbering 2.0?

This seems logical to me, and Krenzo could provide a "Version Time Table"

1.0 - 2.0 - Veichle Integration, veichle related features
    2.0 - 3.0 - Veichle Balancing, Stabalizing
    3.0 - ??? - Aircraft Integration, Aircraft related features

I think one thing must be done before public release, all aircraft related things need to be removed from empires, as new players might take that as hints that aircraft are actualy already ingame.

4. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Silk has uploaded a bunch (a bunch! and separated by map, aircraft teasers, concept art, etc) of awesome 1.08 screenshots for use in PR: http://users.telenet.be/samhannes/emp/1.08/pr/

Please look through them and find some you think best represent the NEW features of the mod.

5. Silk

Silk Mapper

I want to have a screen of every new feature, all the weapons and all the tanks ... eventually. Files will be offline for a few minutes (i'm resizing them a little).

If someone has screens with death icons and such, i could use them.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  6. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

have a look at Zombie Master. one of the least polished games i have ever, EVER played. but it's good fun and shows that a LOT of people will play a game without it needing to be polished. zm seems to have permaneant 20 servers full.

7. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

I'm gonna go with dizzy on this one. Unless there has been a lot of visual change that would suggest a brand spanking new game, I don't think we should call it 2.0. I'd stick with 1.08 (though 1.5 isn't a bad choice if we've gotten halfway to all the features we want) since it's what we've been working towards and people are waiting for it. Changing the numbering now would probably confuse people more if anything.

I'd expect a rework of skins, animations, maps and gameplay elements and while we've gotten most of the weapons and maps down, we still have a ways to go in terms of player skins and animations (Damian and megel are doing a hell of a job btw). The player models still have broken eyes and they are still one big clone army. Get the scouts to look less armored and more stealthy, get a NF engineer skin at least. That would probably the best showcase of "new" along with the new weapons.

In any case, there's been huge improvements on playability and stability and that's what was really important to fix and I think we can release as is without feeling guilty. We can always add the new content (be pistols, rpg/mortar/ heavy rifle, animations etc) in a later patch. Empires isn't finished, but does it really have to be? At least it's actually fun to play now, without crashing or getting stuck or being horribly owned every time.

8. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Which PC/Gamer magazines do you guys read. I don't read those kinds of magazines. I've heard of PC Gamer and PC World but I bet there are more.

9. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

I don't have the exact contact informations, but they're pretty easy to find. If you need help, just let me know.

Pc gamer (try to send em to both US and UK editions)
    Game Informer (They're ok, I guess. Don't hear much about em.)
    Computer Games (Brett Todd had a feature on us, give him kudos and maybe he'll do it again)
    Power Unlimited (pretty popular in the benelux)
    Then there's a few german, french and spanish ones, unfortunately I don't remember those.

A couple of other venues we could use:

GameTrailers Good place for the trailer.
    ShackNews Fileshack associates, we usually get a mirror here.
    HL2.net Obvious, though they're slackers.
    Filefront, HL2 division More mirrors, though we should have a profile.
    Mod database! Krenzo will probably announce the release there. These guys deserve some kudos for the award we got and the mirrors.
    Amped mods bf42.com>fpscentral>ampeddx>amped mods. They're old, but apparently still running. No harm in sending some news.
    PHL Ancient and we had some run ins. They did feature us a few times though. Still one of the few decent places to get HL mod news.
    IGN They're affiliated with fileplanet now and dealing with them will probably lead into some pressure for an exclusive. Might be useful though.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  10. Silk

Silk Mapper

In belgium we have PC Gameplay: http://www.pcgameplay.com/contact.html

If someone gave me all the information i would be happy to translate it (as good as i can) and ask if they want to use it. They have a few pages about mods, and so far every month at least one HL2 mod has been chosen.
    Well I could just do it myself. But someone will have to tell me the moment we're going public with all the material.

On that matter, does no one have awesome screenshots with nice action going on, that would really attract people's attention?

11. Zesi

Zesi Member

Will help u on germanside.

12. Chahk

Chahk Member

Don't forget wikipedia! :rolleyes:

13. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

14. Zesi

Zesi Member

u mean me ? :)

15. Silk

Silk Mapper

I think this is a nice example of good publicity:
    http://www.halflife2.net/wiki/index.php/Empires_Mod

Add to that a link to the trailer, a few more screenshots (rts view!), and some more features (squadleader aura + abilities for example) and you have a nice and simple, yet professional page.

16. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Who made that page, Silk? It looks well put-together and informative

EDIT: Answered my own question: Beerdude. Awesome job beerdude

That page included with a trailer, screenshots, and a list of upgrades from 1.07 will do the trick

Silk --> Good find. Also, the rank in your avatar and on your signature are different :D

17. Silk

Silk Mapper

I'll fix it within the hour. I'm uploading new screens right now. I'll edit this page once it's uploaded. Thanks to everyone who participated in the tank wars this evening.
    Others took screens as well. I think pope even has commander view screens.

Edit: uploaded => http://users.pandora.be/samhannes/emp/1.08/pr/
    The new images are mainly in 'tank wars', 'random screen', 'random action', 'vehicles nf' and 'vehicles be' + 2 new in the map 'new features / improvements' (loading screens) and some small changes to some files.

The latest screens sometimes have people chatting on it, but i've made the screens so that you could cut that off and still see the important things, at least with most screens this is the case.

18. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

if aircraft will take a lot of testing (yes, going back a few pages) then there can still be a load of testing work done before models are at all decent - if theres a full complement of nf aircraft models with no skins, bang on a flat blue colour and call them BE, flat red and call it NF. replace them as the proper ones get done and have tonnes of testing. The larger problem would be that if testing is opened up to the forum etc then noone from here would play 1.08 or whatever it'll be called (in the same way 1,07 is neglected).

If you call the mod 2.0 then any further improvements will be less grand (2 to 3 isnt as big as 1 and a bit to 2)

19. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

20. Silk

Silk Mapper

Nice Pope! Thx a lot.
    I've put them in the right place on my hard disc, i'll probably upload them in one day, two days max.