emp_tropical

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Aurora, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

I don't know how I should change the layout, though

2. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

Problem is that this is an island and so there shouldn't be so many glacial size bolders (In my opinion, thats what it looks like) but w/e...

Also, I'm not too sure what Tarantino is trying to get at either

-Sheepe

3. Carrigage

Carrigage Member

Who ever does, lol

4. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

well good progress on the rock, i know its just a rock but im really happy how its turning out, i cant believe how well its looks compared to the 1700 poly version , this is actually just 400+ polys right here , all comments are welcome, i still have to redo the normal map. btw does anybody know if you have to bake the normal map also or is it specified by the texture file ?

lower left bottom is actually the 1700 poly version

[​IMG]

5. Aurora

Btw. the dark grey rocks seen in the concept are supposed to be un-climbable and higher than infantry. Just for some vision block, especially in the water between the different parts of the island...

6. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

mm well that rock there is a tad bit bigger then the nf com veh , very unclimbable lol... although i have not tested trying to climb it, but if its climbable , either you can put a player clip around it or i can raise the mesh up some, im pritty sure its unclimbable right now as is though lol... imo i still cant tell the diff between the 1700 poly ver and the 400 poly one heh im glad they said something or i would have wasted all those polys

7. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Looks pretty climbable to me.

8. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

well i tested it , most of the rock is under ground but there is one low level area a player could jump on top of ... but all i have to do is raise the mesh up or like i said you can put a player clip, or i could just make a even bigger rock that would be better suited for it

9. Cyris

Cyris Member

u cant tell the difference because the engine does some degree of rounding off its self. Also its hard for the eye to tell the difference on a rounded object in game unless its very low poly.

Btw have u put a normal map on, i would like to see one on this because of the genral bumpyness of the texture.

10. Aurora

Of course there can be climbable rocks too, I just want you to make such rocks that I described, besides the millions of other variations of shapes you were probably planning to do.

11. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

i raised it up to the hight that it was intended and it really was difficult to get on top, but ive got like you said millions of rocks i can do...

cyris : actually that does have a normal map on it, i just messed it up when i was baking the material... im very new and need all the help i can get , this is actually my 1st prop ,, although i have just started a missle that i could not stop myself. it should be done tonight and i should be back on to the rocks also i plan on doing a log [ prop ], as well as some trees and other various props, as soon as i get this stuff down

12. Aurora

[​IMG]

It didn't turn out quite how it was supposed to... Could you edit it Hellion, if I send you the source?

13. Cyris

Cyris Member

how did you go about doing your normal map, i find the best way is to take ur texture, put it in photoshop, and use the Nvidia normal mapper to make a normal map and save that as the same name with _normal on the end. more info can be found here Snarkpit tutorial. Im not sure if you knew that already but i find that is the best way to do it. If im right u were using the high poly mesh to make a normal map, but this way it will get all the little bumbs inbetween the actual texture instead of the mesh.

P.S. when you figure out how to do trees, plz could you make a tut or somet, ive always wanted to know how to do trees but am usally to busy to be bothered to go find a tut and experiment.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2006
  14. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I can't see anything wrong with it. What are you having problems with?

15. Sebybeby

Sebybeby Member

Look more closley at your Uv's, the texture is distorting.
    Also your uv's are all over the place. Join all your uv's together in such a way that the seams will be least visable ingame.
    Make the texture more interesting. Add moss cracks stuff like that.

16. Aurora

The 'rivers' are wider than they were supposed to be, as well as deeper. They were meant to be just deep enough to reach a man's knees. I tried raising the ground there, but that made the edges look like crap.

Also, cross section of the island's edge:
    _______
    ######\----------------------
    #######\_____ } too deep
    ########IIIIIIII\
    ########IIIIIIIIII\___________

### = ground
    III = ground under water (marked with light blue on the concept)
    --- = top of water

The light blue area was also meant to be just knee-deep. And it quickly falls down to the bottom of the sea, while it was meant to be a beach that lowers little by little when going further away from the island. Like in emp_isle, except even longer than that.

The surface of water is also too high. The water leaves a too small area of the islands visible. The water also is just too low, you would imagine that the island is left under water if the sea rises even just a meter. If I lower it, then the rivers will look crap... And if I further rise the ground under the rivers, they will cease to exist altogether (water doesn't reach to the bottom of them.)

And the shape of the island in general should resemble more of the concept.

17. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

JJ45: If you want a smooth transition then smooth the heightmap. Do a color slide sort of a fade in the places you want the smooth transition.

18. x3x3non

x3x3non Member

Hey this is a map called from the mod "Battlegrounds 2". Maybe this can serve as some sort of inspiration for a map with lots of foilage. Map is called "woodland". There is also another map called "fall" that also has a nice forest. I have noticed though that the view distance is pretty damn short and the view has to be blocked by little hills (i think). The map is pretty small, but maybe this sort of dense foilage can be included in valleys since view distance will be limited there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Cyris

Cyris Member

ah yes the battlegrounds, i am working on a map for that at the moment that happens to be a quite forested map (well Jungle).tbh if you use those trees from cs_jungle and maybe add some rocks so its not just sold trees and you have some kind of vis block you should be perfectly fine.

20. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

hey jj/ sorry to keep you out of the loop but my computer died on me last sunday, i should get the replacement parts tomorrow and it might take me a few days to get it loaded back up if it needs it , otherwise i will check when i can... although it might take a crowbar to pry me away after i jump in a game with all the new hardware :):D