emp_tropical

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Aurora, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

2. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

actually that looks like a damn good layout
    im currenly working on a rock prop that might help ,,
    [​IMG]
    i like the thoughts of this... mmm sounds like a plan jj

3. Aurora

I also sent you a PM, but actually, it's better to talk here. So just read the PM and reply here... And yes, we're gonna need some props for the rocks, gr8.

Edit: what tool did you use to make emp_slaughtered's terrain? Any generator?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2006
  4. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

spoke to you in chat :)

5. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

Just checked out the layout... looks awesome. Are the jungles on mountains? Those lines look like elevations.

Good luck!

6. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

jj ... im almost done with the grass shrub texture, [ painting at least ] if you get any inspirational images such as vines or tree's or plant life plz post here so i can get ideas as well ... after i get this grass clump done probably tommorrow ill start on the model prop for it , wich should not take long at all

7. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

a lot of fern plants would be good ... anything i can work up a texture with,also what type of tropical is it going to be , your orgin was a jungle like tropical... any leaves or other stuff would be good , ive got a collection of textures but most of them are not 'tropical' type.. :(

8. supaste

supaste Member

looks good! and sort of pro for a paint map

9. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

Make sure we can do crazy races round it :D

10. Aurora

hehe :P you will have to drive pretty carefully then (planning to add lots of palm trees)

Btw. Hellion, could you make the actual layout drawing into a texture, so I could make a huge block in Hammer and then "model" some of the terrain after it?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2006
  11. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Looks awesome! very isle-esque! My only concern would be balance issues with NF and BE starting in such different locations, but this could equally really work well when formulating strategies.

http://rapidshare.de/files/22888262/emp_tropical_texture.zip.html

Here's the tex, I took off the key. Just extract it into your empires directory, and it should appear in hammer called "custom/emp_tropical".

Last edited: Jun 12, 2006
  12. Comrade Regulus

Comrade Regulus Member

Didn't someone say that forests in the source engine were nigh-imposible because of fps or lag. If not, then this map will probably be very sexy.

It looks like the BE will have a harder time defending than the NF.

13. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

eh you want me to make the picture you have here into a texture , or you want me to make a depth map based on the picture you gave me ? if you are wanting the same pic that you posted here Broccoli has that done , that is a good idea i should have thought of that as well, arg i should have done that with my slaughtered , well it would be nice if hammer had a way to increase even more then what is the max for its vis distance... also a quicky lighting would be good too

Last edited: Jun 13, 2006
  14. pickjaoe

pickjaoe Member

I like the idea of the starting points looking different. Most maps have them start in identical places.

15. Woody

Woody Member

i think why ppl make the same teams have the same looking starting point is because it doesn't give a advantage to one team..

but this looks like it could work, nf might be easier to defend than be but if be pushes nf back then nf wont be able to get any res , so it all depends on how ppl play this map

16. turen

turen Member

looks sweet guys... gonna pwnz0r teh big1!!!!! jj and hellion

17. Comrade Regulus

Comrade Regulus Member

Yes indeed Woody, Looks as though NF will easily be able to block themselves off, but it looks as though BE would easily be able to block NF too, then wait for arty and bomb them to non-existance.

And it looks as though the BE should be attacking because it would be hard to defend those wide waterways.

Yeah, that adds some fresh gameplay to the map. And I can see the BE camping and the Comm going "WTF Newbs? we is gotta attack!" and everyone ignores him and they lose.

OR the NF people camping the closer end of the bridge and watching the BE get all of the nodes.

EDIT:
    There's that there quote.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2006
  18. Aurora

The map is going to have trees. Plain simply. Hellion said he'd make a low-detail prop...

And thanks, Broccoli.

19. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

working on this rock prop atm, but long hours at work is really killing me, i really wanted to do normal maping for textures , and i think its all coming together now , but for some reason i cant get a proper normal map. im useing this app from nvidia called melody... wich it works but for some reason my textures not smooth like it should be ? shabyby [sorry dont how to spell it] any comments on what would be a good app to get normal maps with 3dsmax6?
    here is what im geting for a normal map sofar...
    [​IMG]
    any help if you use melody would be cool too.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2006
  20. Aurora

I'm going to start making the terrain now