Emp_slaughtered_alt

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Varbles, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

One of the mainstays of empires map rotation and pretty well liked, this map has unfortunately long been one of the ugliest of the official maps. RC2 was an experiment with unstretchable textures but unfortunately the $seamless_scale shader parameter is mutually exclusive with detail maps, and I decided to abandon it for this map. I tried to leave as much as possible still in place as far as gameplay goes while still significantly changing the aesthetics. The bridge and two towers have been redone and changed slightly, and the Displacements and trees have been changed. The insane res flow has been dropped from 20 res/sec total down to 16 res/sec total, which is still quite a lot. The map now supports HDR. Again, this was virtually entirely an aesthetic update, done unfortunately, without contact with the original creator of the map, =HELLION=.

This is the third release candidate for this revision is almost at a final stage.

RC4 CLIENT DOWNLOAD LINK

Updated Screenshots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CREDIT, first and foremost goes to =HELLION= for making this well thought out and long time favorite map. Kudos to Omega_K2 also for going over the map and giving it decent optimization. Credit for the amazing textures goes to Hourences whose work can be found here as well as in many a UT or Source map. Thanks to Omneh and Silk for their attempts to remaster this classic as well. Rock models made by Shiroko. Custom tree models given to me by Omneh.

NOTE: If you are interested in or having trouble making your own materials, check out the ones included with this map as they are good examples of proper materials

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  2. harryhoot1

harryhoot1 Member

there may or may not be a new NFAR too

3. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

nice work so far
    now the map looks atleast decent
    and nice idea with the partially destructible towers

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

what slaughtered really needs is a third route - preferably infantry only tunnels inside the displacement hills. 2, quite small, routes simply are to few for full servers.

5. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

It's just that tunnels make it hard for the Commander to know what the infantry are doing, unless there's a way to make the roof invisible for the commander, which I think would be bad for the visportals.

6. Marshall Mash

Marshall Mash 3D Artist

Nice work Varbles, major props.

7. Silk

Silk Mapper

It certainly looks better than old slaughtered.

Anything better than this isn't really possible without completely rebuilding the displacements anyway, which as i found out is a hell of a job.

When i tried to remake slaughtered, i wanted to
    1) get rid of stretched textures
    2) have much more textures blended together
    3) use high res textures
    4) optimize visibility distances

Especially #2 required i made all displacements from scratch, as the original square displacements just don't follow the terrain, meaning you'll have the same material on the ground as you have on the cliffs.

While a completely rebuild slaughtered would be 10 times better than every new version that doesn't start from scratch, i realise this just is way too time consuming.

So in that regard, good job on improving the overal look of the map !

Too bad we don't have a modeller who's good at making bushes and plants to give it some natural detail, or it could have been twice as good.

8. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Fucking awesome. I think (and I'm unsure) that given the map is in the "custody" of the development team, we're allowed to do this shit without original consent because they gave all access over. I'm not sure and I certainly wouldn't want to do it if the guy said no, but I think we're allowed.

So what I'm saying is, I think this could become official without any problems if we do fail to make contact with him, although we'll make an attempt at doing so before going ahead.

9. flasche

omg all that copyright nonsense. even if hed sue you - what i doubt - there is no chance that hed get money out of this, its solely for a non-commercial project. apart from that id really be stunned if there is no clause in the hammer eula that says all work belongs to valve anyway.

you guys aint apple, samsung, google, microsoft, EA, valve or whatever shit company that gets money out of exploiting copyright. could u please stop acting up like you would be one? it only shows a terribad character (not u trickster, its no direct reply)

if you need pseudo legal backup, just state that any map using empires entities are property of the dev team - though im pretty sure it belongs to valve anyway bc of their eula ive never read. in the end you dont even own hl2 (or whatever game you use to play empires) but only own the right to use it.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  10. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

What? I'm sorry, are you mentally fucking retarded? Are you entirely incapable of reading my post?

I'm saying that I'd rather we asked permission to use his map rather than just doing it. That's not copyright bullshit, that's not money related. It's called basic fucking manners. Maybe they're lost on you, but I believe that if someone made something, it's common decency to ask if you can work with it. We don't have to, and if we can't then whatever, but we'll try, because evidently unlike you, we respect people's work, the effort they put into it, and respect their wishes on what they want to happen with it.

If you think asking someone's permission to use their work shows bad character, then you have even more fucked up view of the world than I thought.

11. flasche

i said its no direct reply to you, its simply because of recent posts in another thread. i do appologize, but you misunderstood.
    ofc you inform the guy, thats out of question - its just bad character if someone is greedy in such enviroment, so its just a formal information including credits (and credit is a must), not asking for permission - and that should be crystal clear for everyone. i just assume this to be habit, good manners, but this argument i refered to made me think its not as established as i thought.
    anyway, i might have been unclear with that, im sorry, i didnt mean to offend you.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  12. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Lot's of rage at these forums these days.

13. flasche

brace yourself, winter is coming ;)

14. Omneh

Omneh Member

needs a lighthouse and pipes :P

looks good, odd seam between textures around the lake though

15. Varbles

I know, it's because I changed some normal maps around after I did the compile. Needs a new compile to fix

I experimented bit with the lighting but ultimately stayed with the original values. IMO the map looks a little better with brighter sun at slightly higher angle. If anyone wants to give me some second opinions I'll send you a few different test compiles of the map.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  16. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

This is probably the best of the hundreds of retextures for this map. When will we actually implement this though? The issue seems to surface more than amphibian tanks, but unlike amphibian tanks, the retexturing of this map is vital to this mod's success.

17. complete_

complete_ lamer

so the bridge is plunge-esque now? sorry if im wrong, i cant really go ingame and check.

18. Varbles

the bridge is in principle the same but has a visual upgrade in terms of how it looks when destroyed.

19. flasche

can you dive under the bridge? if not, fix that, its one of the most annoying things on this map ...

20. Empty

Empty Member

+support.

At least my eyes won't bleed when I'm forced to play this god awful map.