emp_research

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Jimather, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Demented

Demented Member

You use pure white light. While it's good in some cases, as enviroment lighting it just makes it look like fullbright with shadows, which is pretty horrid. You don't need much color, but a little dash'll do ya!

Resources are very slim, and the tickets are a bit low. In the games I played, both teams started out at 80-90 tickets just from spawning, and it would help if you could afford both of your starting refineries.

The map also somewhat asymmetrical. Can't say just how much this asymmetry affects the balance, but it's there.

2. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

like the map but a few things.

1)have each side start with the node right by the com being already a built ref. its a pain to build a ref with your starting 100 res.

2)infantry can get between the southern mountains and the edge of the map and go all the way west; however there is no way to go north anywhere along there. either make it have a purpose or block it off (preferably without an invisible wall) to prevent people from wasting time

3)minor minimap issue: the texture on the tops of the hills/mountains/whatever are a bid bland to look at on the minimap (reminds me of the mountains from dragon warrior or the first final fantasy).

i like the layout and the gameplay. as far as i am concerned all of the game play issues are done, it just needs a little polish.

3. Jimather

Jimather Member

Excellent stuff thankyou, i kinda forgot all about tickets in my desire to get other things right.

I don't think the asymmetry is neccessarily a problem though. The best maps in any multiplayer game are pretty much always asymmetrical (notable exceptions are stuff like 2_fort and aim_map). Its a question of getting it right so that its asymmetrical yet balanced.

will do

Ok, i'll think about that, i will more than likely make it an infantry only route to the south west ref point.

Yeah i do agree but im not sure if its something im really going to be able to solve sensibly. I can't really put another texture up there due to the way the displacements and texture blends are laid out and i dont want to stick loads of model props up there for both aesthetic and optimisation reasons.

Excellent thankyou, it always worried me during construction that i could make it look as sexy as i like but if the gameplay is flawed then it would always suck ass.

4. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Give the sunlight a color like soft yellow
    and give the ambient light a grey color with
    a light coloring in the contemplementary color

5. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

u and yer stupid complimentary colors....ignore him.

this can easily be fixed by a cfg file and it makes more sense to force both teams to build those two starting refs. if ones prebuilt then it'll take away from the strategy at the beginning of deciding to leave the ref for the comm or building it yerself...may not be a big deal to most of you but on a map this size evey second can be precious.

On noob server i set start tickets to 2.5x (250 now) which is more common as empire games are nearly 15v15 or 20v20 these days. I also set the money to 300 at start (also a relatively common amount when there's two ref points in yer base.

6. Jimather

Jimather Member

Interesting...

Ok i'll set the tickets to 300 and starting res to 300.

Still undecided about whether to have a prebuilt ref, well actually, more undecided not about taking it out now if you see what i mean.

Tbh i don't think it will make all that much difference in the end.

Btw, i also set all resource points to give 2 res a second, will this be too much ?

7. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

IMO all maps should have at least one prebuilt ref or source of income, it prevents noobs getting in CV and spamming buildings without placing start refs, even if you vote him out and take over you can't afford starting refs without recycling your base so you may as well say GG.

8. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Put some vegitation on top of those rocky mounds. and maybe some lose stones at the bottems.

9. Omneh

Omneh Member

The tunnel in the pipe is so very awesome. :D

I would suggest a less icky rock texture, if possible. The current one is... nasty.

10. Jimather

Jimather Member

The problem is finding stone models with textures that match the displacements.

I might put a dash of vegetation up there but not a lot grows on rocks like that so its difficult to make it look right.

thx! you wouldnt believe how hard it is to do inner and outer displacement pipes with bends and T-junctions like that. Its downright shoddy in places imo. If you look at certain joins you will see how i have had to do some rather crude shit to seal it up.

Yeah im not entirely happy with it myself but again i need to match the rock models and redoing the custom blend and replacing all the rock models to match is an awful lot of work.

So with this fog everyone tells me to put in, Do i really, really need it ? I have tried lots of different values and it always just doesnt look right and where it meets the skybox it looks bloody awful.

I mean, does it lag ? is the fps ok ? surely given the size, simplicity of the brush work and sparseness of detail models, i can get away with it ?

11. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

i get NO fps lag on this map, its not big or detailed enough to be a fps whore. i'd say dont bother with fog but perhaps consider the lod's for some objects if you are worried about it at all.

bumgravy : very good point. BUT a cv greifer can also recycle base pretty fast too. either way its a permaban.

12. Jimather

Jimather Member

Right, no fog in this version then.

New version is up and ready to go :D

13. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

Yeh I aint talking about just griefers tho, also about noobs who don't know any better.

14. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

new one going up on noob server. thx for the fast update.

edit: ok, you cant make changes without renaming stuff. sad reality. It wont go on the server or it will piss people off as they'll have to delete their local content to get the updated files.

Can you re-release this with new names ? ANYTHING you've changed requires a new name/addendum as svr connects wont overwrite local files.

emp_research_1a.bsp
    emptexture_1a.vtf

etc etc, thx.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  15. Jimather

Jimather Member

bugger, ok give me a moment

edit, sorted.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  16. Omneh

Omneh Member

Looks so much more awesome now. Congrats. :)

17. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Wow, 4 pages and noone said "This map looks like A Bridge To Far from Red Alert".

Anyway, looks really good, I want to play it.

18. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

why cant we have more maps like this? nice and simple but with enough to do so it doesnt stagnate at 1-2 points. i like it allot.

do the servers that host it have the new version uploaded or do i have to play by (with) myself?

19. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

i'm sure tons of maps are going to look very similar to the games maps. its nearly impossible to avoid any overlap.

its a good map. and well made.

20. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

lol, The top of the flag building,

You can get over the clip that blocks the top. You can get up there with a wall. I'll not say more, but it's very possible to get up there, and very impossible to get someone down once they are up with walls :P