emp_research

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Jimather, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Jimather

Jimather Member

emp_research - Updated

Emp_research

-Added a route from NF base, up the cliff to the res point overlooking their base
    -Added seagulls
    -Added soundscape
    -Added 'the rest' of the research centre to the skybox
    -Added HDR Compile
    -Added ammo boxes to the building, enabled by capturing a flag in one of the rooms
    -Changed the player clips slightly to prevent some exploits
    -Changed a texture (Research Centre door) that flickered cos it was a model texture.
    -Changed lighting values slightly
    -Removed a good proportion of the wall blocking the south middle ref from NF view

-Changed starting resources to 300
    -Changed tickets to 300
    -Changed refinery output to 2 res per second
    -Changed lighting values slightly
    -Changed water texture and increased water texture scale by a factor of around 4
    -Added player and vehicle clip brushes to prevent exploits
    -Added built refinery to each base
    -Added infantry-only route along south beach to south west refinery
    -Adjusted displacement geometry in certain areas.
    -Updated and adjusted the minimap, minimap is no longer fullbright, it has the same lighting and thus shadows as the level.
    -Removed unecessary files from the rar file.

Simple conquest map with ten refinery points, several levels of terrain, two buildings and large tidal inlet/beach.

The supposed objective revolves around the central building being the entrance to a Brenodi research facility set deep in a mountain. Northern faction is mounting an attack on this facility from the beach and needs to secure the entrance and surrounding area.

But really, two teams just blow the shit out of each other till the CV is destroyed. There is no particular actual benefit to holding the central building, its just battlefield dressing.

The very large pipe you see in the screenshots can be climbed and will lead you into the centre of said facility, but you could also just go through the big hole in the east wall as shown, its just cool to attack from the water and emerge from pipes like a bad ass ninja.

Nf start on the SE beach, BE start in the NW corner.

[​IMG]

Screenshots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Planned Developments

1. The ability to destroy and rebuild a section of the bridge to prevent vehicle crossing.

2. Add more detail props without it looking silly

3. New Sky texture as the current one is awfully white

Download

Please bear in mind that this map is still in the playtesting stage and even though i have tryed an awful lot of stuff to exploit and test, one person can only test an empires map so far.

All feedback is gratefully received.

Download Link 1 - Mydatabus
    Download Link 2 - Rapidshare

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  2. KILLX

KILLX Banned

You have to make the res file. I have no idea what the syntax is though. Without a res file, the server will NOT know which files to send the client. An improper res file can result in files being left.

3. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

You need to make your own .res file yes. Just copy one of the already made and change it (open with notepad).

Otherwise, me like map.

4. Jimather

Jimather Member

Thankyou chaps, can't believe i didn't see the .res files in the maps folder before doh.

Anyhoo, links added.

Now i just need some friendly server peeps to get some playtesting on the go :D

5. GoodGame

GoodGame Member

Looks pretty. That roof would actually be kind of useful if you could get an arty tank up there, or at least if it was easy to arty/mortar neighboring refinery points from the rooftop, though that'd make the building a chokepoint. If there are extensive interiors to the building with lots of chokepoints, it'd also make a decent last stand for a loosing team. And maybe give the building one more refinery and make it a good turret stronghold.

6. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

From what I can see, it looks really nice BUT, i think it will require some fog and view distances altering, it seems like you can see across the map. But sure, I'll upload it to our server now and give it a test :D

Add me on steamfriends @ trickster9012 if you wanna join emp4all when we're testing, I'll make sure we get you a slot.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  7. Jimather

Jimather Member

Well the roof is player clipped off, and you cant build turrets anywhere on top of the walls, so thats kind of out of the question.

Not too much interior to the building either, i deliberately made that central building pretty average in terms of defensibility and strength as i didn't want it to become the focal point of play and whoever holds that wins the map. I just wanted another facet to the gameplay and look of the map.

It may well do i am aware, i did try it with some fog but didn't really like the look of it and am currently hoping i will be able to get away with it as its quite undemanding in other areas. Will see how playtesting goes then i might be forced to add some and turn down the brightness to fit.

Thx very much for the testing! will add you shortly.

8. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

BTW, will you add real lighting to it or will it be fullbright?

9. Jimather

Jimather Member

That is properly lit ? Apart from the pitch those are the recommended lighting settings for the skybox i have used.

I'll tone it down a little in the next version.

10. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

please increase the scale of the water texture so it doesnt look so repetitive

11. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

There is something wrong with textures or color palette in general.

12. Jimather

Jimather Member

Thats already on the to-do list

Please explain ?

13. Maxaxle

Maxaxle Member

*looks at pics*
    There's already a major inbalance. The BE spawn point offers 2 routes to move around (2 directions), while the NF spawn point only offers 1! What is with that? (unless there is a bridge not shown on the map).

14. Jimather

Jimather Member

NF can move north up the east beach to the NE ref or west across the thin part of the river to the refs in that direction ?

15. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

i'll get it on the noob server as well. join in whenever you see it in rotation.

this map actually has a very nice texture variety that doesnt bore the shit out of me. nice work. hope it plays well.

16. Jimather

Jimather Member

Cheers, just saw it on and tryed to join but alas i was seconds too late.

17. gezor

gezor Member

theres a glitch: u can get above BE base and spam nades. BElers cant hit u.

18. Jimather

Jimather Member

bugger, suspected there would be something like that somewhere but didnt see it.

Looks like I'll player clip that off then, thanks for letting me know.

19. recon

recon SM Support Dev

This looks very nice. Is it for 2.2?

20. Jimather

Jimather Member

Yar, and thx!