emp_frozensummit_b2

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by John Shandy`, Mar 2, 2009.

1. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

pretty easy, why? Model retexturing, dunno

2. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

Retexturing displacements, brushes, and other things in maps is ridiculously easy. I make custom textures fairly often if & when I need them.

With models it's another story. There are special steps involved, and it often has to be done by the modeler, even though he/she may be supplied with the textures to use.

Models can be made to have different skins that can be flagged in Hammer. For instance, the rock models used all over emp_isle and emp_canyon have about 3 or so skins: the normal, a more grayish/white one, and a darker skin as seen in emp_snowbound.

If the model already exists, modelers who don't have the source files for it have to decompile it and all that jazz, further complicating the process.

The amount of experienced modelers and model texturers around here is pretty slim, but there are some nonetheless.

3. communism

communism poof

I would like to be able to climb on most the hills, near the middle and such...would give better cover for infantry during late game when tanks dominate all (not the ones near main raxes or NW, since that would make them impossible to defend)

4. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

I initially had all the hills where you could climb them but during gameplay it seemed to sponge all infantry into a hill climbing marathon of fail, so new mountains were placed along with player/vehicle clips.

5. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

commie, maybe drop the vegan shit and eat some real food so that you'll have the strength to climb on top of those hills, son. ;)

I get what you're saying though. I joined a late game last night on frozensummit and I had so much fun in just the few minutes I got to play it... I really haven't played on it all that often.

I do agree with Keef on the hills/mountains, but maybe we can find a few specific areas to make accessible.

6. communism

communism poof

I remember the first version where you could climb on hills (right?)
    And thats when i told you how I lubbed it. Make very steep hills that are unable to climb on around the bases (and NW). I hate players clips...they just make up for map failure...sorry ;P

7. Lumi

Lumi Member

I really enjoyed the map. The look and feel was nice, and defending the train station as demo in the tower was a fun experience. The only suggestion I have to make is less refs in the middle, because the team that has the middle gets WAY TOO MUCH power.

8. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

There is only one resource node in the center. It's also surrounded by water, so I'm not so sure I see why you think it is overly empowering to the team that controls it. All resource nodes are 1x.

9. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

This map deserves to be official. It plays better than duststorm.

10. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I hate to say it but I really dislike this map.. I dunno why.. It's just ugly to me and I have yet to have a serious or fun match on it after like 10 matches..

My opinion is probably not worth too much though.