emp_frozensummit_b2

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by John Shandy`, Mar 2, 2009.

1. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

[​IMG]

Frozen Summit
    Version: Beta 2
    By: [LoDw]Keef & John Shandy`

First of all, we'd like to mention that Frozen Summit is more of an experiment and less of a true project (thus far). We made Frozen Summit to be a duststorm-esque map in that it is very open, comfortable for base building, and comfortable for vehicle combat. We're really not sure what else to do with the map at this point. Unlike our previous map (Tropic Vendetta), Frozen Summit jumps back to good ol' solid classic RTS with a mobile CV and plenty of freedom.

We recently held an Alpha 1 test of this map and, to be quite honest, this map wasn't very well received - partially due to some HDR problems (that have since been fixed), but also due to the general layout, look, and feeling of the map.

We're not sure whether or not we want to continue it - so we're releasing a public version to see how it performs and how players feel about it. Hopefully we can get some useful feedback with which to make a decision on: continuing to improve it - or - abandoning it and moving on to whatever is next in our list of maps we intend (or desire) to make.

We're not afraid to admit that Frozen Summit doesn't hold a candle to our previous map, which we really enjoyed creating. However, we want to try quite a few different things.

If Frozen Summit is going to survive, we feel it will need tons and tons of feedback, so please offer up any constructive criticism you have. Please acknowledge that we want to stick to an open style map, and infantry cover is somewhat limited by the small amount of custom content (models, etc.) that fit in with a snow setting.

What's new in Beta 2?
    Keef changed some stuff... all the mountains, the center geography and resource nodes, etc. I road the failboat to shore this morning, and can't really remember what all else. Just ask Keef, 'cause I've not touched Source SDK in the past week. Minimap is updated.

SCREENSHOTS
    -Screenshots (Early Alpha 1, some with the old fail skybox that has since been changed. Not a whole lot of recent screens. We'll get some up ASAP.)

DOWNLOAD emp_frozensummit_b2
    Mirror 1 : Sendspace
    Mirror 2 : John Shandy's Blog
    Mirror 3 : Reborn Gamers (Home of Nachos & Juicebox)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  2. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

after the release of tropic vendetta we were hearing alot of people saying they wanted classic empires RTS maps like mvalley and duststorm rather than alot of hybrids with odd quirks. And we ourselves didn't think that was a bad idea, I rather like duststorm and mvalley. But the vibe we got during the alpha 1 and alpha 2 wasn't the greatest. We are not all that interested on working on a map that isn't to be well received by the community anyway so we'll probably begin work on other projects shortly.

3. communism

communism poof

I liked it
    Open map yet it still has choke points, I had a fun time till our fail comm....failed

4. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

a good 3d skybox would be fantastic on this map

5. Omneh

Omneh Member

That skybox truly is awful...

... also, I really would suggest some more displacements similar to those mountains in tropicvendetta, to break up the landscape a little. If there is anything more dull that staring at a yellow and a bit brown expanse, its staring at a blindingly white expanse.

Also, would a func_precipitation cause too much lag? That would look awesome if you could implement it.

Otherwise, looks awesome. Nice work you guys.

6. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

I take it that you 2 haven't played the map, but are looking at the screenshots. Please notice the screenshots link - it mentions that the skybox textures were changed. The skybox shown here is no longer being used - as soon as we realized how pixelated the textures were, we chose different skybox textures.

Only people with HDR on will see such a bright white when looking at the 2D skybox or the 3D skybox geometry. I suppose we could go with the dark skybox from glycencity - we'll see.

7. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

From what i've read, Func_Precipitation doesn't effect fps or at least never noticed that it did on the maps that i have played with it on.

8. Omneh

Omneh Member

hahahahahahaha

emp_insurrection_rc2: now with RAIN.

9. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Needs more blimps.. haha nah i dunno I haven't played it yet.. Looks cold tho. Or should I say cool?

10. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

What he said.

Except I hate all snow maps. Change textures to like grassy or snow and I'm down.

11. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I think I make a snow map next

12. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Your typical hill shapes would make more sence when made of ice. I support your next endeavor.

About this map. I simply lacks areas of focus. things that draw players attention and keep a hold on it. Like if this was on a platue with a green plain below and a mountain above(bolth 3d skybox), it would hold players interest longer.

13. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

I rtv'd to get away from this map. I think Keef may have rtv'd once on it too. We're really leaning towards not continuing this map... or at least letting it sit on the back burner for a while.

14. Omneh

Omneh Member

Welcome to the wonderful world of mapping related self hatred. :rolleyes:

I honestly think this map has potential, it just needs... more. The trainstation in the south is wonderful, but it needs counterparts elsewhere to break up the monotony of endless white snow.

15. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

We would love to have some snow-covered rock models and clusters thereof to put around the map. It's just that most of the available prop content in general is pretty lacking. Maybe some bunker-ish things with which to combat hill-top combatants? *shrug*

16. communism

communism poof

That sucks I liked this map

17. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

well, if you guys have any issue with this, remember

[​IMG]

18. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

lol wtf

and it's SHANDY, not SHADY.

19. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

fixed for grammar errors, please refer to the John as shady not this shandy bullshit, he HATES being called shandy.

hey shady

20. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

My team is in position, EXCELSIOR!!