emp_echelon cooperation

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Silk, Feb 24, 2013.

1. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

wait, can i have brushes with both flat and smooth shaded for export? i know i can asign shading to single faces in blender but will it export? i hope im not overdoing it ...

2. Misfire

Misfire Always Lost

Seems you can build a model from multiple objects and then only smooth some, not all objects. I also have build an object, smoothed it, then added new meshes that are not smoothed. I have not tired to see the results exporting one of these half smoothed objects though. All my models so far are exported unsmoothed. The only thing that must be exported smoothed is collision meshes.

3. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

bad WW2 joke

4. flasche

can you use this set only a couple of faces to smooth thing? im sorry if i ask stupid questions but i didnt care to export anything yet. im still struggling building what i imagine, but im making progress.

so much for my 3rd week of blender (also did some rigging but no vids)
    [​IMG]
    obviously this is not for the landingcraft, i just went a little of course ^^

5. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Do you guys do decals/texturing too? I need a decal for my map.

6. Silk

Silk Mapper

This is pissing me off more and more

Why couldn't I make things like that in 3 weeks :mad:
    Or 4 years even, I would've signed for that

7. flasche

you can. also, watch speed modeling videos - and dont let the mirror material fool you :P
    but yes learning the blender interface is an act of willpower but once you get behind how blender would do it its intuitive ^^

dunno maybe, what do you need? if its not supercomplicated ill try my worst ...

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  8. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Silk already provided - I needed a decal that said " Control Room Door Switch".

Maybe one more would be nice, but I don't know what it should look like. I want a thing that shows what the lights on that switch mean, so:

green: open
    red:closed

Not sure how to make that.

9. Misfire

Misfire Always Lost

You and I are learning at the same time, so these are not stupid questions.

Look to the "smooth vertex" option in edit mode to do only the selected part of the mesh. Clicking multiple times will increase smoothing more on the selected. This maybe what you need.

I wish I had more than a couple hours a week to learn right now. Blender is awesome. After 30 mins this eve with sculpt mode and modifiers I have boulders ^^
    Needs more work, but with a bit more practice I can probably create any boulder, any size in minutes.

BTW this book download is free. Written for 2.54, but I find it still very good for 2.6 as well. I have read maybe 1/4 so far. There is a second blender book listed at the bottom of the page also.

http://it-ebooks.info/book/516/

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  10. Silk

Silk Mapper

I'm already past 4 years so nope ^^

To be honest the modelling itself was easy enough, but modelling it in a way to always have quads and other stuff to make high poly versions for baking normal maps always held me back. Even if I had a good low and high poly model, normal map creation just didn't work as it should.

I tried modelling again a few months ago, but after a year I had even forgotten how to unwrap. I just uninstalled everything in a matter of hours.

On a more positive note, I'm making progress with area 1 and 2. Slightly above my average brushwork level even, but not even close to flasche's artistic talent in design. But making things prettier can be done at any time in the future.

And good job misfire, you're obstacles look very well ingame

11. flasche

no this alters geometry, i meant only shading. if you are in edit mode you can set only selected faces to be smooth.

also do you know about the loop tool addon? its deactivated by default (why ever) go to: file - user preferences - addon - search for loop tools. very handy, it lets you arange verts to circles, have better control over bridging edge loops, space verts evenly and and and.

and silk i had an idea, what would you think about learning blender together here on the forums? (everyone else invited too) i cannot believe you are unable to do it, what you do with displacements tell me the only thing hindering is your pefectionism :P
    we could pick small easy projects like lamps, rocks, pipe systems and so on, so itd be actually useful aswell.

edit:
    oh you replied in the meanwhile :D
    you have no idea how many bunkers it took me to save the ones i gave to you. i probably threw away 100 if not more hammer files just for them ... my "artistic talent" is just the outcome of an temporary obsession with something. but i still take the compliment, thanks :D

also high poly doesnt neccessary mean put subsurf modifier on everything, in the meanwhile i know how to increase vert count to several hundred thousand without even touching subsurf ...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  12. Silk

Silk Mapper

Status of the map on Februari 21 2014: (updated mapsource link on first post)

New obstacles (made by Misfire):
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/234836/mapping/emp_echelon/21 feb 2014/obstacle 1.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/234836/mapping/emp_echelon/21 feb 2014/obstacle 2.jpg

New beach bunkers (made by myself):
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/234836/mapping/emp_echelon/21 feb 2014/beach bunkers.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...elon/21 feb 2014/firing out beach bunkers.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/234836/mapping/emp_echelon/21 feb 2014/scenery.jpg

Updated main defensive wall/bunkers (Made by Flasche, with some final minor alterations by myself):
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/234836/mapping/emp_echelon/21 feb 2014/main bunker 1.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/234836/mapping/emp_echelon/21 feb 2014/main wall.jpg

Area 2 layout in progress, textures are placeholders, no detail or models yet (Made by myself):
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/234836/mapping/emp_echelon/21 feb 2014/area 2 wip.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/234836/mapping/emp_echelon/21 feb 2014/area 2 wip topdown.jpg

- Beach and area 2 are now completely optimized for vvis
    - Massive AA-gun models are in progress (by Misfire)
    - Landing ship models are in progress (by Flasche)

Enjoy !

(starting to itch to play this)

13. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

The skin wraping on the X tank traps could do with another touch that first image shows one of the very edges(Closest X tank trap to you) full of bolts.

Everything else looks marvelous...

ohh what about the fact that the vehicle consoles are visible through everything from everwhere? Is that intended?

14. Silk

Silk Mapper

No, it's just a stock placeholder texture. I'll be making one myself, but that's for when we start finalizing everything

Also flasche, it's a tempting proposal, but for the time being I'll spend my spare time in hammer. It's been going well today and I don't want to break this rare streak of success.
    It's good to know I can talk to both of you when I try again though.

15. Freaknovich

Freaknovich Member

I will try do get the base finished this week. Have been pretty busy lately, but now I'm on reading week.

16. Silk

Silk Mapper

Oh take your time. And unless you're waaaaaaaaaay better than me in designing, you'll be wanting to change parts here and there for months to come anyway.

Just started from scratch for the 3rd time on the lowest cliff bunker today. Although I'm extremely happy with how it's starting to look. This one's finally a keeper.

Still in desperate need of an entity magician though

17. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

After the 1th march, I can help a little.

18. Silk

Silk Mapper

Very nice to hear!

19. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Every week or so, I feel the need to pop in and say that this shit is pretty awesome. Carry on.

20. flasche

+1 week in blender. i need to stop thinking like in hammer, im overly obsessed with aligning things properly. also i tried to build everything out of a connected hull which is unmanageable. in my defense a lot of time was wasted because blender messes up every tool if you scale in object mode first, why noone tells me?

[​IMG]
    (can click)

anyway i need more experience for a whole landing boat i guess - its still the plan, but ill do some small models like this door in the back above just more detailed (with actual opening mechnism, the one above doesnt even have hinges) first.
    you can import blender files into eachother so having a small library of such things probably helps a lot ... also i need more manageable projects for learning the whole get a detailed model into a game process. if i fail a door a few hours are wasted, if i fail a landing boat months are gone and i probably failed long before i finished the rough modeling phase.

but ill do it with this map in mind, so well have nice doors at least hopefully. and maybe i learn enough before were done, so who knows ^^

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014