emp_duststorm2 (working title)

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Silk, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Mageknight

Mageknight Member

Maybe emp_dunes? Or emp_sandstorm, as a homage? This looks hawt, can't wait to play this.

2. Silk

Silk Mapper

Wait with suggesting names till i have added the details: AA's and other defensive sites to protect the two middle bases that will become something like missile launch sites

Edit:
    btw i prefer 4 letter names: ie bush, arid, ...

3. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

emp_storm, emp_dust, emp_silo (jk)

4. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

emp_emp_recruit or emp_tiurcer_pme

5. Silk

Silk Mapper

6. Omneh

Omneh Member

Silk, I made some reasonable looking AA turrets similar to that out of brushwork for my map, if you are interested.

If your not, I would love to have that model :p

7. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

silk they look awesome, just finish them up and throw them in, u can always add/change them more in later versions. Its a great starting point. Or you can ask pwndyourass to model/texture them for you.

8. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

I don't know if this is known or not, but earlier today on Nachos and Juicebox, Keef was playing the map for his first time and commanding on it. When dropping refineries, turrets would spawn, but he discovered that he could recycle and keep dropping to make more and more turrets spawn.

He discovered this and duplicated it to be sure, and then informed me immediately on Vent to take it out of rotation and off of the server - so I did just that.

It raised some questions from some feeding-frenzy players who thought Keef was exploiting or taking advantage of it, but it definitely seems to be a map problem, and he wasn't exploiting.

We'll standby to run the next version of this map.

9. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

:P
    AA looks good

10. Silk

Silk Mapper

Then i'll have to come up with a way so turrets from one team can't spawn again untill those of the other team have been spawned.

Thanks for telling.

Edit:
    Is it possible in hammer to set some sort of key when a team places a ref and if the other team places a ref to change that key, and to check what the current key is before spawning turrets ?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  11. Silk

Silk Mapper

Always interested.
    Sure you can have the model, but i'll be using it myself as well probably (when it's improved).
    But i haven't managed to export it yet. Not entirely sure why.

12. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

i'd ask chris how he did those refinery things on emp_king it sounds similar and perhaps will illuminate a solution for you.

13. Silk

Silk Mapper

I fixed the turretspawn problem:

If you place the refinery the turrets will spawn
    Destroying or recycling the ref will not remove the turrets
    Placing a new refinery (same team) will no longer spawn new turrets
    If the enemy places their own refinery your turrets will be removed and their turrets will spawn.
    If after this you destroy the enemy refinery and place your own refinery, your turret WILL spawn again.

Can't fix the model problem.
    I can now export them, but since it only makes a 512x512 texture file any model bigger than a tv has very low detailed textures.
    Also the shadow is 5 times as big as the actual model.
    And when it makes the texture file it adds a few weird lines

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  14. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

Cool, sounds good Silk.

15. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

I dunno about the idea of built turrets spawning..... Kinda seems like its going to be a scout + speed upgrade rush and comms trying to drop the refs first... Dunno. Maybe a delay?

16. Silk

Silk Mapper

It's true that if one team manages to get both refs placed at start, that they have an advantage that might win them the game.

How about several much smaller bases, with like 4 turrets each, scattered around the map. Maybe 5 places, with 4 of them in a square and the 5th exactly in the middle?

Concerning the turrets i'm open to suggestions, as long as i can have them in the map.

17. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

What's the purpose of the turrets?

just... why?

18. Omneh

Omneh Member

Make some awesome mounted guns out of brushwork and entities that fire missiles and bullets and shit.

Would be kinda original, and provide a solution to using up turret cap.

I think I made one of them a while ago, but I misplaced the VMF..

.. I know Chris got similar working in empires in the early days of KUTM development.

Oh, and the players would have to be using them, which would be cool shizz.

19. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

I haven't played Silk's new map yet, but from what was described to me, I imagine that Silk was trying to implement this feature so that by getting a refinery you get some basic defenses at it by default - perhaps to promote round longevity or help prevent circular resource node capturing. As apparent, he's following a duststorm style of map, and on duststorm there are many times where you are sporadically losing refineries and have to spread your team thin to go out and get them back or defend them, especially if you don't bother to put some basic defenses around them to buy you some time.

That's my "guess" as to their purpose. I don't know if he's spawning Level 1/2/3 in his map, but I think it was a nice idea to experiment with.

20. Silk

Silk Mapper

The main reason is that a map like this is ... well exactly the same everywhere. A few bases that give you an advantage would be like small magnets. Having free respawnable turrets adds something interesting to a map but doesn't unbalance it (well it does now, which is why i want to change it).

imo it only works in an open map like duststorm, and since this kind of map is exactly the sort of map lacking something special, i've added them.
    I have an idea of what to do with it by now. I'll be working on that during the next week.