emp_duststorm2 (working title)

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Silk, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Silk

Silk Mapper

*Update*
    http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/234836/emp_ds2_WIP.rar
    *Update*

So yeah title sais it all: i'm working on a second version of duststorm.

It has more hills, but they are a bit lower. For vehicles the map is almost one big open area, as they can more or less drive over the hills, at least with anything better than a standard engine. I'm not sure yet wether or not to make the hills a bit higher.

Currently the terrain is all there, and i've added some trees already just to make the first version of the map less boring. I'll add more details later. Resource spots have been added, stuff like cubemaps haven't.

- There are 10 refineries, both starting base resource spots give double res.

- There are 2 bases with walls. When a team places a refinery on the resource spot in that base, he will spawn turrets on those walls. When the enemy destroys the refinery the turrets will not go away. When the enemy places his own refinery however the current turrets will be removed and after 4 seconds enemy turrets will spawn on the walls. The two bases are not linked to eachother so one team could have one base each.

Main problem so far is that these turrets count for the turret limit. If you've reached the limit without the base turrets, capturing a base will still spawn turrets (ignoring the limit). However if you have captured one base you can only build another 10 or so turrets at other places. When you've captured both bases you can't build turrets anywhere else. Untill i find a way to fix this problem my advise would be to recycle the unnecessary turrets that spawned (for example those on the north wall when the enemy is in the south).

It's certainly not perfect yet, but it's definately playable.

As a final note: i don't care about how much it looks like duststorm, as that was the intention. I'll add extra details that make it at least a bit different but it will always feel the same like duststorm.

I should have a first beta version online this evening, untill then i'll post the minimap

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  2. Silk

Silk Mapper

Special thanks to Con7Con/The doctor for his idea about how to spawn the turrets

3. Con7con

Con7con Member

Looks great silk but I was also the one who sent you the terstmap showing you how to do it. :D

Anyway hows the other map you were making coming along?

4. Silk

Silk Mapper

It's on hold. I'm only working seriously on one map at a time.

5. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

please more cover than on duststorm :3

6. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

looks like a good design. i LOVE the old dust storm, so this should be excellent.

what's with the turrets though? sure, let players build turrets on the walls. but turrets that build themselves will surely just slow up the game. Turrets are okay on cyclopean because, with only 4 suitable base positions, rushing the enemy makes it very difficult to displace and rebuild elsewhere. Duststorm was a bit more open and dynamic, so that wasn't a problem. Infact, one of it's great strengths is that good bases can be built almost anywhere. so displacing the enemy from his origional base with a rush game ending, if anything it makes the game more interesting.

also, what if the area is being contested, building the refinaries could cause turrets to pop up right beside the enemy.

7. Omneh

Omneh Member

I would suggest having some nice green oasis' between the hills, with trees and pools of water and other nice things.

8. Silk

Silk Mapper

There's at least 20 places where you can build a base that is not in the range of the spawnable turrets.

And yes if the enemy is there while you place a ref, they'll be attacked. This was the intention ^^

But the only way this would happen, is if no build, unbuild or destroyed refinery is on that resource spot, that one of your team is close enough to it, and that no enemy building is close to it. If all of these conditions are met, you indeed better not park your vehicles near those walls as they might be luring you into a trap.

But the amount of spawnable turrets is very limited. 1 heavy with lost of armor standing there when they spawn might still be able to destroy the turrets on that side before being in red. Also since you can get ontop of all the hills, infantry will have an easy job of destroying them.

I think it'll be just fine.

9. Omneh

Omneh Member

Also, lots of resources please so we can get to tanks quickly and not be forced to run around huge open spaces as infantry before getting shot.

10. Silk

Silk Mapper

11. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

Currently in rotation on Nachos

12. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

looks like a maze to me :o

13. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Pls choose a different name. Desert, or whatever. It has no connection with duststorm. Author is different too.

14. Silk

Silk Mapper

No problem, it's just a title i'm using while working on it. It will be called differenty for sure. I'm just bad with coming up with names.

15. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

getting it in on the asskicking server. lol i love that name

16. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

mmm, Barren Strife, emp_barrenstrife ? or perhaps drought of blood

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  17. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

emp_Rommels_tundra

18. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

emp_desert

19. Grizzly

Grizzly BEAR SIZED DOORS

How about emp_sandinmahbuttz?
    totaly would remember a map named that, even if i hated it!

But yeah, moar screenshots plox! :D

20. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

protip: dun put things in ur ass at the beach