emp_bush_rc1

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Silk, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

lol, no worries, Its up now, I'm just rewriting the map cycle (its in dire need of an update). Once I'm done, and a few maps have passed (emp_bush_rc1 is being played at the moment) then I'll give this one a whirl. Thanks for a great map. Its such a shame there isnt a server command that lets you ban spectating for like 3 minutes or so before allowing it, otherwise the map would be even better. We can't just ban spectators completely though :(

2. Silk

Silk Mapper

Yeah i was ingame, i had selected the option to join the server when a slot was available, but ... after 10 minutes when i joined it was duststorm. :(

I still have not played my own map once with more than 12 people. :D
    I'm cursed i tell you.

Oh and i'm already happy that the map is a bit different each time. At first i was searching for ways to have teams not know the other's team location, but i think that could be as frustrating to someone as it would be fun to another.

I'm suprised nobody every noticed i've been using the wrong resource files for all my maps, except vehicletraining. The objective part was copy pasted from another map, and now in the selection window of my maps it sais something about bridges above the ground. It's fixed for future versions, but i think it shows how many people read the information in the team selection window.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  3. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

lol i dont think I've ever read the things under the team selection menu.

and again, yes your map is HELLA FUN WITH A FULL SERVER!

but you wouldnt know that....mauahahahahaha....:D

4. Silk

Silk Mapper

:D You bastard ^^

5. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Middle lags, dunno why doesnt seem so full of stuff...

6. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

Yeh same for me, I dont think it should lag as bad as it does for how little stuff there is :/

Had a game on it yesterday tho, pretty good fun fighting for the middle until a HE med came along and settled it :) Really like the terrain topography, makes for very interesting gameplay and I cant see it getting dull after Ive learned the map properly.

7. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

will get it on the noob server. thx for the changes.

8. Silk

Silk Mapper

No problem, I hope the smoke helps.

For the OB version I succeeded in getting a 20 to 50 % increase in fps in the middle. Also there's a 30 to 60 % increase when looking at the middle from one of the 4 bordering areas, except when standing on the edge of the middle. Also this is only true when you're close to the ground, so on top of the bunker you won't notice a lot of improvement. Still it should help a bit.

9. Silk

Silk Mapper

I'm currently making rather big (visual) changes to emp_bush. I'm not touching the gameplay, except for one small fix in the south.

There's 3 things i want to do before the next and hopefully final release, which i plan to do in 4 steps (yeah 4).

1) The south bunker is a bit useless right now. I'm going to add a ladder that leads to the forest on the plateau. People can use it to escape/attack/sneak/get ammo and health more easily.

2) The middle will change a lot, but i haven't figured out how exactly. Most likely the water and all the plants will be removed. I haven't yet thought of anything that could replace it.

3) I'm adding a lot of details to the currently very boring hills. I won't be using the rock texture for the hills anymore, but instead use it only for the rocks that i'll be adding almost everywhere. Because the hills themselves will still need a second texture i decided to use serveral textures and use them in places according to where that section is located.

4) Add these rocks from point 3 and the different textures to the 3d skybox as well

I've only just finished my final test version for point 3, of which i'll show some screenshots.

- Comparison: above the overview of the final test version in which i had redone 3 sections in the northwest, below the old overview (old overview had HDR, new test compile hadn't at that time)
    http://users.telenet.be/samhannes/mapping/emp_bush/OB/Latest/1 comp1.jpg

- This one shows how i'm going to texture the hills in the map. Instead of the rock texture (which is now only used for the newly added rocks) i'll be using 3 different textures. Already visible in the overview above, just not very well.
    http://users.telenet.be/samhannes/mapping/emp_bush/OB/Latest/2.jpg

- Two examples of the final testversion. The real version should look a little bit better.
    http://users.telenet.be/samhannes/mapping/emp_bush/OB/Latest/emp_bush_ob0007.jpg
    http://users.telenet.be/samhannes/mapping/emp_bush/OB/Latest/emp_bush_ob0010.jpg

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008