emp_bush_rc1

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Silk, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Silk

Silk Mapper

What if i keep only the flag bunker, and remove the other two bunkers in middle? Would that make people go less to center?

Maybe after removing them, i should place one of the twin bunkers in the north part, so all 3 middle areas have exactly 1 bunker ?

I just don't understand why they are at middle more than on other places. Sure there are bunkers, but tanks can easily shoot inside the twin bunkers, plus the bunkers are the only cover you have there. Other areas at least have orex forests to run through or elevation to hide in/behind.

The middle should be hardest to hold with only 3 bunkers as limited cover for infantry while it's one big open area, and mainly important to a team cause with it's 4 entrances it can lead to half of all other areas.

I feel like this is more of a 'dumb people' problem. If the map would be better known, perhaps people would not be so stupid?

Unfortunately i like having different games on the same map, so i want to keep the res spots random. And i don't think there's anything i can do to have people know where res spots are. The minimap can't be changed after all.

I could place smoke on the res spots that get activated so that people standing on a spot know (by the smoke) if a ref can be placed there. But from a distance this is not visible. If the commander (who knows where all refs are and where the enemy starting base is located) does not tell them which res spot is activated, they will still go to the wrong place. Only now when arriving there they'll see they're wrong and do not have to wait for the comm to tell them. That's not much of an improvement is it.

Edit:
    Hang on a minute ...
    ... Nah that wouldn't work well. It would confuse people.

I was thinking i could couple every res spot with an unbuild armory of both factions. These would be UNDER the surface so you wouldn't see them, but they would show up on the minimap as yellow squares. Since they are unbuild they do not show up as buildings in the commanders list. This way everyone knows where the res spots are.
    But this solution sucks cause people will think there is something to build in that area and go looking for it.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  2. Caelo

Caelo Member

tldr
    maybe make the middle infantry only? and don't allow engineers/commanders to build there?

also just paint the yellow dots on the minimap.. that should be enough, as all other maps dot hat too..

3. Silk

Silk Mapper

But in all other maps you can place a refinery on those yellow spots shown on the minimap. People will think they can build refs on those spots here as well, and think it's bugged. Hence why all res spots are shown as yellow question marks on the ground and on the minimap instead.

The possible ref spots ARE shown on the minimap, but only half of them will point to spots that work and i can't dynamically change the minimap to show the current situtation.

4. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

You could get logic auto entity to kill/place your underground armories so they appear as flashing yellow squares? Would still be confusing for noobs but people m ight be able to work out what is going on a bit easier.

5. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

No. Don't. I like the refinery hunting. It keeps the map interesting. Ignore these fools. Instead, these are the following things to be mentioned. I disagree with the points made about the middle, the problem is that its damn near impossible to hold with anything but infantry, its far harder to defend than attack. Maybe raise it a bit or something, give the defenders the advantage. Also, double the ticket number. We had a game go to sudden death before anyone even got to 40 points. Not good.

6. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Make the middle more crossroadlike :) so people cant dig in

7. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

it would be nice if the ref spots were actual blimps on the minimap(like buildings and players are) rather than requiring them to be allready implemented onto the minimap picture, would keep it generalized and easy to notice/figure out for new players regaurdless of what the mapper made the ref models themselves look like.

8. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

And it would save some time for the mapper :) .

9. Silk

Silk Mapper

I'm actually glad to hear that. It sounds to me like it's working as it is supposed to. Because of the 4 entrances leading to half of the areas the map has to offer, it shouldn't be easy to defend.

That doesn't mean people need to have control of it. It offers only as much res as the two other middle areas (south and north). If the enemy has middle, you take north and south and move into their half of the map from two sides, ignoring the middle (wall it off on your side, the north and south).

I still think making mistakes like putting all players in one area (the middle) will stop once it's obvious that holding middle does not win you the game more than by holding any other of the (2 other) middle areas.

What does worry me is that if middle is more popular, it might not even be because people (wrongfully) think it's more important, but because it's more fun to play in because of the bunkers.

Oh and i'll increase number of tickets. Perhaps 40-50% extra? Doubling them seems a lot.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  10. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

do the vent thing over the the actual ref's. that would at least hlep save time on foot when searching for ref's and constantly asking the comm to try and place here, now here, ok try here...lol you get my drift. The gas floating up would make a BIG diff. imo.

11. Silk

Silk Mapper

Hmm probably, if it's seen far enough.
    Can you set the view distance for particles?

12. Trickster

Double them. Trust me on that.
    Also, the fact of the matter is, people think the middle is the most important area. Maybe just reduce it to a x1 ref, making it far less important?

13. Omneh

Omneh Member

The problem with the middle is not the res rate or anything like that, its merely because its OOOOH! PRETTY SWAMP AND BUNKERS!

Thats why people go there... nothing else really. Make the rest of the map like that, and its problem solved. (and problem created, with UNBEARABLE LAG)

14. OuNin

OuNin Member

I think it's a pretty fresh map compared to the rest in Empires.

It's really open, but provides a lot of choke points.

15. Silk

Silk Mapper

K thanks i think i know enough for now.

I've changed 2 things:
    - Increased tickets from 150 to 250 (+67%)
    - Activated res spots are visible by the smoke above it. Only the minimap now has questionmarks.

16. Trickster

kk, tell me when you have compiled and uploaded and I'll put the new version on the server :D

17. Silk

Silk Mapper

emp_bush_rc2 is compiled

http://rapidshare.com/files/146845996/emp_bush_rc2.rar

Changes:
    - Fixed some rocks floating about the ground
    - Increased tickets from 150 to 250 (+67%)
    - Activated res spots are visible by the smoke above it. Only the minimap now has questionmarks.

18. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

YEY!

<filler>

19. Trickster

"Thanks to the server owners who put it online for testing: Bitchslap, Trickster, ..."

Sorry mate, your a bit mistaken. I don't own the server, Napalm does, I just handle maps and the overall cycle for it lol.

20. Silk

Silk Mapper

You read the readme? Someone reads the readmes? Sweet !

I'll adjust it for the OB version, thanks for telling.
    If you had waited a bit longer though, you could've told me what i did wrong this time as well ;)