Emp_beobachtung(_beta)

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by blizzerd, Oct 3, 2008.

1. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

Back from my holiday ^^ i went to oostende nudist beaches and to centerparks it was really really fun! please welcome me back! ^^

1: these are custom placeholder models i made, but i am going to replace them so don't worry about it yet i will include them in the next release

2: there is a place where you can build it from, but sometimes it slips deeper into the world then it should, have that fixed in the next compile

3: i accidentally deleted the light for that area while trying something that is not yet finished (dynamic lightning on each explosion ^^), fixed in next compile, and when you see everything a little brighter you will notice how you can best defend yourself in it (eingangsverteidigungluke) it is basically designed to offer optimal defense while not restricting view so it should normally give no problems... unless your enemy somehow got a little to close (flanking) but then he just deserved to have you ^^

4: i have noticed that it needs more explaining on some parts, i will add little effects that hint certain stuff, the roof hatch (or actually emergency exit hatch) actually becomes operational once you capture the corridor hallway (i know, it is totally not clear)

5: it was a part from a very large map, i intend to make all parts of them and release them as one big map ^^ so yes, after a while you do need the tanks but not yet in this level :(

thank you for your review, this is the kind of feedback that i mostly desire!

yes, this might be an issue... good call i guess ^^ thank you!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  2. Empty

Empty Member

To restrict Lvl3s
    Remove all resources from both sides.
    In 2.2 it will be definable through the map params entity.

3. petemyster

petemyster Member

only if you show pictures of the nudist beach

4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

Why? do you desire to see me and my husband nude? :o :o :o

Sadly i am not at liberty to post the dirty pictures on this site :( will you please reconsider a new and more doable requirement for me to accomplish so that you will welcome me? :)

5. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

1st- this map style rocks, i'm sure to enjoy it (yet to see gameplay)

2nd - its going on the noob server and i pray for new versions.

3rd - try using screen hints in areas that are not obviously objective based (pretty sure this will work in emp)

EDIT:
    4th - take the time and zip your beta maps too plz.....fixed!

http://rapidshare.com/files/151624821/emp_beo_beta1.rar.html
    (also this has a res file included that should work, you NEED these!!)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  6. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  7. Empty

Empty Member

LordDz.
    Leave the poor man alone.

Beobachtung looks great, but outside the bunker the lighting is a bit bland, I think the fog is the issue. The cannon is fucking SWEET, and I like the concept of BE getting a CV but less tickets.

But.

Both sides can be griefed easily, even unintentionally.

BE can have their comm rushed.
    NF can have doors left open, and hallways blocked.

Also, the NF pillbox on the left, it's made badly, I can't shoot anything for crap from it.

8. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

Thank you empty, to honor me with a review at last! ^^

the fog is a temporary measure to hide that this is just a "part" of a 3X bigger map, and it was a 10 minute work, don't worry its going to go away in the end ^^

at first the cannon barrel was supposed to move backwards and forwards on each shot (quickly backwards in a smooth jerk, and slowly forwards as it is repositioned) but somehow funk_tracktrains make the map unstable if used in this way (totally not normal, source coding issues perhaps?) if anyone can make me a small vmf with a train moving quickly to the left, then slowly going back to the left and stopping prime to be triggered again i could as yet try to implement it (so i can see what i did wrong, or if anyone else has my trouble i know its the engine and not me) because i have already spent 20 minutes trying to get it to work and this is beyond my time schedule on 1 specific unimportant gimmick

maybe i should make the commander immobile? with clip brushes so that players can enter and leave but not move it?

i at first thought it was not a big issue because if you have not built the ramp, the cv cannot really get up the ledge leading to the bunker (the mud trenches) but if you say so it must be

this is an issue i cannot fix completely without removing the authentic design of the bunker, perhaps i could make it that doors close automatically after 10 seconds or so, and that they damage you if blocked? this would kill blockers! and easily move blockers in the way by just "closing" the doors and reopening

also i am going to restrict building INSIDE door ports and a couple of inches from each side of the door port to prevent building walls of sentries or camera's (normal walls are already restricted in the entire bunker complex)

additionally, the top hatch on each door can be used to lob grenades in sentry rooms without coming into harms way, so any room packed with sentries can be killed by a determined engineer as long as he is protected by a few others so that he is not killed in a retaliation strike

its made authentically, maybe i can tune it a little in favor of game play if you suggest on what parts it is bad, :( but i don't really see anything bad with it :( did you open the little metal grenade hatch? (metal plate with see trough slit also used as handle in real life i am starting to suspect that people have forgotten this, since it is one of those things that are not really clear in this beta yet, a little light will do wonders because that is one of the primary issues that was forgotten in that specific compile ^^)

thank you again for reviewing my map empty ^^

i as yet have to play it online with others to test, anyone who would like to help me with this?

9. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

it' on the noob server now, feel free to rtv to it anytime for a playtest but i think empty's right, i'd address those big issues (cv rushing, griefing) and whats with the walls in the beginning be spawn?? it kinda leaves a little to be desired...

10. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

the walls are... awww ^^ i know i know its a beta and all and i am going to have most if not all of these things fixed next release ^^ squeeee ^^ it was just a test really to see if you would like the concept of it before putting any more effort into it

so happy you guys give me feedback!!!!

however! the next release is delayed because i have found out how to build a dwarven fortress and surviving the first year!

also, i do not know how to rtv :s sorry, i asked how on noobserver but people were saying i had to type something fist and i have gotten confused about it ;_;

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  11. Empty

Empty Member

I hearby swear, every time the another noob server gets RTVed, I will ban myself for 30 minutes.

12. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

lol sweet, there ya go guys, any easy way to get rid of him if he's being annoying :)

fyi : to rock the vote simply type in chat 'rtv'

13. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

So that iw what they where saying all along :o, it seems the players explained properly but i was to dumb to understand ;_; silly me...

14. Empty

Empty Member

Just the language barrier.
    :/

Rock the vote isn't really that sensical grammar and definition wise anyway.

15. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

The map looks great but.
    First, Its not up to the server owner's job to write a .res file.
    Second, can't you pack it in the right folders? Remote access to a server is slow enough, without having to write out your own directorys and stuff. It takes 2 minutes for you but saves us quite a lot of time.

16. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

17. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

haha great, I'll download that version instead tonight to the server. Cheers

18. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

hey BS rapidshare no longer has the file

"The file could not be found. Please check the download link. "

19. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

20. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

can someone please consider taking the beta out of map circulation? people have complained of it being bad because of the multiple bugs and tweaks that need to be done :( i am sooo sorry everyone, i just did not think anyone would be hosting it so soon :(:(:(:(