Dwarf Fortress Succession Game?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by pickled_heretic, Nov 28, 2009.

1. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

don't you worry about it ;D

2. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

list the mods you are using

3. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

vanilla. we were going to use the orc mod but because of the unique challenges of this location, we're not using mods.

4. Zeke

Zeke Banned

ill join up for the next fortress, i havnt played ice before so i think ill fail horribly if i play the 7th year when there is tons of sieges etc in a habitat type i have never tried ;)
    i'd probably end up killin a few dwarfs from the cold right off the bat xD

5. Cloud

Cloud Member

I wish to take year 5 or so.

I you don't with to find the hidden fun stuff, then just dont dig too deep :V.

And please have dug to the underground river by the time it's me, it'll be our only source of wood, right? And start melting the river aswell (check my previous post).

Please avoid keeping the dwarves outside for too long, as it'll damage their nervous system permanently, which can cause them to randomly go unconscious all the time or be bedridden forever.

6. Empty

Empty Member

Wood next to the underground river? ?_?

7. Cloud

Cloud Member

Tower caps.

8. Zeke

Zeke Banned

Suggestion for the next fortress:

In the deep mountains with a magma pipe, underground river, bottomless pit (aka demon lord nest), adamantite vein and 0 vegetation.... And an overground castle along with having the human civ xD
    (how to enable humans guide here, derp... its very short.)

hillarity and lulz ensured.

this force the players to
    A) not rely on alcohol (which makes everyone grumpy just in general and requires imports to keep people semi-happy - tantarums on deaths ensured.)
    B) not farm at all and rely on butchery for food
    C) rush mining to find the river (and hope to not find either of the 3 demonic areas)
    D) once finding the river, create mechanics to bring it to the surface (humans hate underground and go mental after some time... especially with lack of booze xD)
    E) and most importantly... live purely overground and make big quarrys instead of hollowing the mountain (or you gain insane miners) ^_^

9. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

well i just hope you wont blame me for dooming the fort if i dig out the adam and get raped

10. Empty

Empty Member

I did a small overground fort.
    It took fucking ages.

11. Zeke

Zeke Banned

cuz u werent human, they got improved speeds in building walls and shit overground :D

(yet they suck ass in underground constructions)

12. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

Zeke, I think you should go ahead and jump in this round.

As to your suggestion, surviving only on butchery is extremely difficult. hunting and fishing eventually stops respawning after a few years, so the only way to make it work is with a massive ranch (you can do it, but it takes a lot of management). Otherwise I don't have a problem with your suggestion but it can be difficult for the new players to build that many constructions.

13. Zeke

Zeke Banned

its actually quite easy, just spam animal X (or several types) and set a large meeting area somewhere, all the owner-free animals automatically gather at that point, then keep the butcher shops nextdoor :)
    and naturally, there will be more than plenty of bonecrafting profit from this which allows you to trade anything you desire.

edit: but yea... i guess i can jump in if the fortress is alive by year 7 ^_^

14. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Me In.

15. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

The succession thread has been updated.

There's still time for people to join before the first round is over. Like I said before, it doesn't matter if you're a DF newbie or if you're a pro. Just post your name here and you'll be added to the roster.

16. MajorTom

MajorTom Member

Im new but im in

17. Zeke

Zeke Banned

its all goodie being new, it adds a bit of randomness along the way which is always fun ^^
    +the fortress has to die at some point anyway xD

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  18. Cloud

Cloud Member

It took me most of my year to barely familiarize myself with the fortress DX

19. Nattaboy

Nattaboy Member

Well, I literally downloaded dwarf fortress tonight, but hell I'll give it a go. Hopefully by the time it's my turn, I will be able to run a semi-functional fortress :eek:

Also, does anyone know how to import a tileset into a world that's already been generated?

20. Zeke

Zeke Banned

copy all files in the art section and also replace the init file with ur own... (since diffrent tilesets are made diffrently... id suggest you copy the 3 first pictures in the art section too)
    [​IMG]