Dwarf Fortress Succession Game?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by pickled_heretic, Nov 28, 2009.

1. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

Inspired by a suggestion in the other dwarf fortress thread, I decided to post a new thread to determine if there was enough interest here to start an empires community dwarf fortress succession fort.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with a dwarf fortress succession fort, each player plays a turn in a rotation. During that year you are granted unlimited control over the fortress's day-to-day functions, building projects, immigration reform, etc. During your turn, you may name one dwarf after yourself, so that you will be represented in other successive years. You are not to intentionally terminate the fortress prematurely (there will be an appropriate time to terminate the fortress, and we will all know when it comes). Also, don't kill off other named dwarves intentionally. That's bad mojo, man.

What happens is that a fresh install with any applicable mods is created by someone, and he will generate the world, select the build site and take the first turn. He will describe in the forums what took place that year during his reign from the perspective of one of the dwarves. At the end of the first turn, he will zip up the entire dwarf fortress install, make it available to the next player, and that player will take his turn, and so forth. From the time the zip file is made available you have one week to take your turn. If you do not finish your turn in the allotted time, the next player will get to take his turn.

Basically, if you're willing to be part of the rotation, you just have to post here. There's no elitism in dwarf fortress - if you are new/not very good, but still want to play, PLEASE POST. Nothing is more lulzy than a fortress full of death because it was half-designed by DF newbies.

We could also take suggestions on any possible mods that would be done to the initial install here. I recommend the orc mod available on the bay12games forums. it adds a new civilization, the orcs. the orcs are much stronger and more aggressive than goblins, but with a little consideration to fortress design and organizing a defense, they can still be easily defeated.

In addition, suggestions for a site could be made. I guess my only requirement is that we have magma there - I can get by without anything else, really.

- Updated.

People playing/current turn order:

pickled_heretic
    Blizzerd
    Cloud
    Varbles
    Empty
    Z100000M

mod suggestions:
    orc mod
    pop cap 100

embark suggestions:
    magma
    freezing biome
    HFS
    underground river

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

aye

i say unit cap at 100,

3. Cloud

Cloud Member

Aye.

I'm new, but i shall do my best! And let my newbie creativity run amuck!

Requesting MayDay's green tileset, as i can not decipher the ASCII. http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.php

4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

tilesets have no effect on gameplay, they are simple "skins"

5. Cloud

Cloud Member

I am aware of that (i love reading wikis), however as stated in the first post:
    I suppose that means that participants other than the first bloke arent allowed to install mods? I've yet to install/uninstall any mods, and don't know how to, the install i have along with the tileset and world was uploaded by someone who created a tutorial along with it.

6. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

you can take out the "save" map and then you have pretty much anything you need

7. Cloud

Cloud Member

Ah, thanks for that piece of info :V
    edit: oh btw, is there some sorta succession mode so that it automatically stops each year?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  8. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

9. Empty

Empty Member

I'm in I suppose. I can't play the game brilliantly but I'll be able to play through a year, hopefully.

I like the idea of doing it in a frozen biome

Ice castle anyone?

Can we melt Ice? Wounded dorfs need water?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  10. Cloud

Cloud Member

we need "other features" with the site finder, definetly. And an underground river perhaps.

11. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

an underground river or aquifer renders the need for melting ice irrelevant.

Cloud, a graphics pack will not be included with the initial install. you can make whatever changes to the UI as long as you revert them before you zip your fort and make it available for the next person.

I'll start genning worlds with these parameters in mind, looking for an embark spot with all of this stuff. A combination like that is kind of tricky but we'll try find a spot to make it work.

12. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

magma plox

13. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

i already said there'd need to be magma, especially if we're gonna embark on a spot that's unlikely to have trees =p

14. Cloud

Cloud Member

what about the glowing pit?

15. Empty

Empty Member

I haven't dealt with HFS yet, and for our sake I vote we don't embark on it.

16. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

I think we should include HFS. If you don't want to tap it, you don't have to - HFS never comes to you, you always have to go to it.

I decided against the orc mod. freezing biomes are enough of a challenge for newer players more than likely.

Anyway, I have a hellhole of a an embark I discovered. It's 32 tiles total, which is a bit smaller than the default 36, but I did have to stretch it a bit to fit magma, a river, and HFS.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  17. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

i want in

18. Empty

Empty Member

We should get started.
    We can add people to the list as we go.
    Hurry up picked.

19. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

All right. I'll start the first year in a new thread with this location.

20. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

uhh what exactly is that hidden fun stuf you are reffering to?