dispensable bumper cars

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by FN198, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Plebeians? Ha, nobilitas all the way.

2. FN198

FN198 Member

i'm of the school of thought where
    cool > neat.

3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

for tank combat its pretty much the same if you make armor weaker or guns stronger?! the only difference in this calculation is infantry given their dmg vs tanks stays the same.
    but really empires is too much of a "get item x" game, where item x is heavies in whatever version currently are overpowered. it can only be good if infantry weakens that up a bit.

but what wed really need is more diversification. there is a super system for that in place, it just boils down to one armor, one engine, one weapon type per faction per map (and in some versions even only per map, as atm the chem aera or previously the physics age).

thats what bugs me most with empires tanks. that number crushing is nitpicking, its not whats wrong in the first place ... maybe the removal of the speed to damage modifier changes that, i doubt it, it will only mean that there is another op armor and if its compo it will be the 2nd best armor that will get researched over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over till there is the next version (or not) with another armor being op.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  4. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

There's a solution to that!
    Let's remove armours! Plain all the way!

5. Nickierv

Nickierv Member

I have had a fix for this for the last at least 5 months, lets see if anyone will listen this time.
    0. Seeing as no one is willing to give up NF=missiles, BE=cannons, this will be slightly harder.
    1. Heavy tanks have 2 slot cannons, medium tanks have 3 slot cannons, allowing for medium specific weapons. The actual implementation is not the most significant, but medium and heavy tanks need to have weapons that only they can use.
    2. With #1 in mind, a new armor design is in order:

Code:
        "Composite"
        {
            "Name"                        "Composite"
            "Description"                "Composite armor consists of layers of steel, ceramic, and plastic honeycomb, and it's designed to offer protection from almost all types of projectiles equally well."
            "Icon"                        "vehicles/gui/armor/composite_sml"
            "HUD Icon"                    ""
            "Size"                        "1"
            "Type"                        "0"
            "Weight"                    "10"
            "Cost"                        "25"
            "Research"                    "Composite Armor"

"Health"                    "80"
            "Regeneration"                "0"        
            "Angle Modifier"            "0"
            "Speed To Damage Modifier"    "0"            //Was "0.005"  
            "Damage Modifier"            "1"         //Was "0.85" 
            "Damage To Heat Absorbed"    "0.025"    
            "Bioweapon Damage Modifier"    "1"        

"Sound Impact"                ""
            "Sound Repair"                ""

"BulletResist"                 "1"            //Non Armor damaging
            "Bullet_apResist"            "0"
            "Bullet_ap_bioResist"        "0"
            "Bullet_plasResist"            "0"
            "Bullet_heResist"            "0"

"cn_stdResist"                "-0.169"
            "cn_erResist"                "-0.084"
            "cn_heResist"                "-0.020"
            "cn_plasResist"                "-0.059"
            "cn_railResist"                "-0.156"

"arti_stdResist"            "0.087"
            "arti_medResist"            "0.104"
            "arti_heResist"                "0.102"
            "arti_erResist"                "0.051"

"ml_stdResist"                "-0.020"
            "ml_umlResist"                "0.048"
            "ml_salvoResist"            "0.095"
            "ml_bioResist"                "-0.003"
            "ml_hywResist"                "-0.271"    //Nukes was -0.4
            "ml_guideResist"            "0.048"
            "ml_homeResist"                "-0.116"
            "ml_home_salvoResist"        "0.120"

"gl_stdResist"                "0.108"
            "gl_uglResist"                "0.115"

"InfantrySeismicResist"     "0.95"        //Siesmic Grenades
            "InfantryBulletResist"         "1"            //Just In Case
            "ExtraType1Resist"             "0.95"         //Building Damage
        }

3. Using #2, split armor into side and chassis specific version.
    4. Add 3 to 6 months for the relativity slow balancing process.
    5. ???
    6. good luck trying to have a "super armor" : BE medium tanks with comp armor take 20% less damage from uml

Can someone find a problem with this?

6. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

The only issue isn't with the idea itself, but the implementation, simply because it would take quite a long time to balance it into a complex version of skill-based Rock Paper Scissors, even without including how long it takes the devs to develop.

But aside with the obvious issue of the time it would take, it would be perfectly fine.

7. flasche

see nickierv, thats what i doubt - your research wont get more diversification, even if its a 100% balanced, something i doubt too, you still get what armor your respective comm deems to be the best*. you get a single upgraded med and heavy blueprint and maybe a 2nd gun, armor or engine if the original choice was only based on the tree opened.

apart from that, im too lazy to read the number crunching stuff, apart from that i dont have any of those numbers in my head anyway, id rather try it out. there is no better way to tell if something is good or not.

*for fn: his favorite

8. FN198

FN198 Member

YOU NASTY MAN!

now look here flasche. i research the best tanks possible. best is what is overall the most effective tank (main battle tank).

easiest to use
    highest dps to heat ratio (capable of sustaining high dps for the duration it takes to destroy another mbt)

as long as it isn't plain/regen it doesn't really matter what armor to use. it's all about the dps/heat ratio and ease of use of the weapons.

best tank in empires
    BE: 2 ERC or railgun on primary and 1 UML + 1 ML on secondary
    armor doesn't matter, but it needs a coolant engine.

second best tank in empires (difference is mostly insignificant)
    NF: 2 UML + 1 ML on secondary with any engine/preferably coolant.
    again, armor doesn't matter.

in the end, it comes down to coordination, resources and tickets as empires should. with the push for more tickets and cheaper/weaker tanks, resources/tickets don't serve as an adequate consequence for failed assaults making empires into a tiresome constant assault void of palpable strategic thought or planning.

9. flasche

i think the problem with tank combat lies where the counters only matter on a global and not an individual basis. thats why we never had any hardER counters apart from bio which countered itself anyway. there is little strategic depth in the various armors and engines, you could leave them away and noone would notice - k ofc youd realize, but it wouldnt matter much as long as chassis unlock over time. its a tad differnt for weapons but in the end it boils down to a single weapon and maybe noobsnukes.
    if you could use er, he and plasma cns at the same time youd have skirmisher, ranged and crowd control tanks - and all at once. something for everyones taste. the "individually best" or favorite tank. this is all i ever meant to say with we need more diversification on the battlefield ...

... and in my understanding this is only due to global comm based research. i ask for more rts for everyone in this fps with rts aspects (as it currently stands)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  10. FN198

FN198 Member

damn flasche, i have no fucking clue what you just said

11. Empty

Empty Member

wtf am i readin

12. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Haven't read the entire thread, but I have no idea what I'm doing with armours. Probably something important.

Overall, I'd like tanks to take a few less hits, but I certainly have no intentions of ever lowering their speed. That would suck dick. Slow tanks = Boring tanks.

13. Demented

Demented Member

Is that Trick's way of begging for help?

14. Candles

I would help if I could. But all I can do is help test.

15. Paradox

What we need is, faster tanks, slower reload times on weapons, stronger canons and missiles, weaker tanks, cut health by 33 percent or so.

That's it.

16. Candles

How about bringing back ammo for tanks?

17. Paradox

good idea.

18. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Tanks feel like bean bag launchers more from the atmospheric sense. Of course their damage is really sucky, and armors are really sucky, but what would make tanks more awesome would be NEW SOUNDS for them. Currently, the LTs sound like a two-stroke dirt bike and the heavies sound like cranes, not even kidding, they sound like cranes raising and lowering their lifting arm things. The LT sound isn't too bad, in fact forget I talked about it at all, but the heavies need to sound like lumbering-beast-mid-boss-biggest-fear-end-to-your-chances-of-victory. That cannon sound? My potato cannon made a much cooler sound, please change it to sound more explosive, currently it sounds like the shell is being pushed out of the barrel with wind. The explosion sounds themselves for cannons are fine, but they need a little more man.

That is all I have to say on why tanks really suck, cause they aesthetically suck.

19. Nickierv

Nickierv Member

Tank speeds are already pushing engine limit. As for slowing tanks down, will any consideration of a slow speed option for better manoveribility? 3phase heavy tanks have control issues.

If anyone is interested, i can put together some changes to make tanks die faster with the current system.

20. Candles

NF heavies with scout speed need to be fixed. As it is right now, if you attempt to turn a heavy with scout speed for any more than a third of a second, it will spin out at least a full 360.