DISCUSSION: Summer scrim league with persistent scrim teams

Discussion in 'General' started by Trickster, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Stacking?
    Cake squad will be official counterstack squad.

I dare you motherfuckers to stack.

2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I'll revive you.

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

This is absolutely the kind of thing I'm hoping for.

4. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Trickster I dont understand very well anymore.

Are we suppose to form 2 teams, or multiple squads and then squads choose which team they go on?

5. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Form 2 teams which organize themselves.

6. Trickster

Form 2 teams. If you have a squad then obviously it's up to you to tell your squadmates to join that team with you. The leader of the team is under no obligations to allow you to play in the same squad though.

7. @@@@kenji@@@@

@@@@kenji@@@@ Member

i'm with complete, 21vs21 and higher!

so count me in.

8. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

9. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Make me captain and I will do everything I possibly can to make this a roaring success, enough for 25 matches at the very least. I guarantee amazing games, balanced teams, and fun matches.

10. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

If I may make a suggestion, I would try to pair an old vet with experience organizing teams and pugs with a current vet that has a lot of experience with current players. I know some of the best judges of current player skill don't have experience organizing a team for something of this magnitude and that the players with the best organizing experience for things like this aren't entirely up-to-date with the players. Just covering people's weak points to make sure the games are as good as they can, you know?

11. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Ill volunteer to help someone with the organizing stuff.

12. Metruption

Metruption Member

I'll do the unspeakable that needs to be done.

13. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

While that's a good idea, I expect there will be a lot of voices adding themselves to the pile when a pre-pug meeting is convened. So that'll probably happen regardless. Assuming the players actually know an old vet and listen (somewhat) to them.

14. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Yeah... from the "new" player perspective, old vets are assholes and not being associated with them is a nice thing.

I can at least recruit players from the server population. Might actually round up some interest later today.

Should I just make a steam group and invite people, even though there aren't definitive teams (or cannibalize an old steam group)? The earlier we start actually doing instead of talking about how we might go about it the better imo.

15. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

To be fair, a lot of us are assholes. That basically used to be the theme - assholes who knew fricken everything.

16. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Went ahead and made a group:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/empires2015league

It is public, and I will add our potential captains as administrators as we go. Currently in this list are, as far as I can tell: Lazybum, Predator, Spike

Others will get admin if they want/need it (within reason, not everybody will be an admin).

17. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

You know your destiny.

18. Trickster

I'll be deciding on captains in the next day or 2. And yeah, like Candles suggested, my intention was to try and pick 2 people for each team, rather than 1, so I can make sure the bases are covered. Realistically though, the "old" vet will be the one that I'm more likely to put the actual control with, because I actually know them and thus I'm fully aware of their capabilities and intelligence.

Also, I really really don't want to come over like an asshole, but please don't start going ahead trying to jump in and organise stuff now Senor Awesome. I know it's just a steamgroup but I had no intentions of us having a combined group for this (between the 2 teams). I know you mean well, but it's just adding potential for confusion and I'd really rather avoid that. When it comes to creating steamgroups for the teams and whatnot, I'll organise that with the team captains and help them with the permissions so things aren't public that don't need to be. I've noted that you'd like to help in organisation and I'll keep that in mind when things are moving and I can start moving the administrative responsibilities over to someone else.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  19. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Sure, whatever you want. I just wanted a way to keep in touch with anybody from the servers that was interested all in one place instead of having to direct them to check the forums.

20. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Actually, that's probably a bad way to go. Old vets are moving away from the game constantly, while the new people are being rubbished for...being rubbish, basically. This is one point where it's a good idea to have someone new in control so they can actually become tomorrow's example.

I mean if we looked at what happened before, HSM was one of the most experienced commanders around, but that just made things messy with other players.

Though if there was a way for people to vote their captain, I would have said that was best.