DISCUSSION: Summer scrim league with persistent scrim teams

Discussion in 'General' started by Trickster, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

So in that drama filled thread, I had the idea of doing a scrim league with persistent teams (same team every week). A lot of my basis for this idea comes from the 2009 NFvsBE pugs. Those were really fun, created a lot of rivalry and drama, but also really raised the level of play even in the pub scene. I'll be applying a lot of the rules from then to this, but rather than the single round a week, there will be 2 rounds (on the same map) and rather than some territory control board, we'll just rotate through the maps and keep score.

This thread is really for getting some feedback on potential interest in this. We'd form brand new teams for each side who would play on a weekly/bi-weekly basis depending on interest. No existing clans would be used. It would be open membership for each team, so no-one should be excluded, though anyone joining up will be expected the follow the orders of their team's leader unquestionably.

Lastly, if people are interested, I'd like people to put themselves forward for being team leaders. I want to make it abundantly clear that being the team leader does not mean you have to lead your team in the actual games. Your job as team leader will be to organise your team for the games, put people in roles, liase with the other team leader in organising the games (though I will step in to assist here), and just generally be the guy in charge of the team outside of the game. If you want to lead the team ingame as well then that's really up to you, but as team leader you should also be intelligent enough to know whether you're actually capable of that task.

Nominate yourself for this role or even nominate someone else, you might be able to push them into it. Players will not be able to swap teams except in special circumstances which will be handled on a per-incident basis.

I don't really have a contingency for if one of the team leaders ends up being shit. I will try to guide them as best I can, but I will more than likely end up playing for whichever team I feel is a little underpowered, so it could be seen that there's a conflict of interest there. I'll genuinely do my best to help both teams though, as I just want us to get some good games out of this. It's also worth mentioning that it's an absolute requirement that every player on your team who is around at scrim time gets the opportunity to play in at least 1 of the rounds. If I catch either team leader leaving less skilled players out in favour of running more vets in both rounds, they will be removed and replaced without question. On the other hand, if a captain comes to me and shows evidence that one of their players is being disruptive, said player will be removed without question.

Obviously this isn't actually a thing that's definitely happening, I'm just stating how I would plan to set this up if it did. I have no intentions of babysitting the whole thing if it does go ahead, so I'll be relying on people to step up and run this from both teams. Ideally once it's up and running, my involvement should not be required.

So yeah, post your thoughts and potentially nominate captains so we can see what we'd end up with if we do go ahead.

2. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Member

I don't volunteering if it's beneficial to generating some active competitive play.

I'd try to get predator as a com and find a worthy team leader.
    In fact I would like to have trickster himself lead the team when he attends them.

3. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I'll definitely play or even lead a squad. This idea is great to me and I'd love to see it happen.

4. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Member

You have to get accepted in EPIC first.

5. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

JFR is a relatively new clan, would it hurt so much to let it be entered completely? A lot of the members are hungry to scrim together again.

6. Metruption

Metruption Member

Be Sidd lends its support.

7. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Member

Spike can represent JFR and CANADA squad recognises his title.

8. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I nominate spike as a team leader.

9. Trickster

There's no particular reason they can't all join the same team, but with open membership this kind of doesn't work if a clan is actually one of the teams. I'd kind of recommend not all joining the team, trying to make things as even as possible, and hopefully at the end of the league there are enough good players to make an opposing clan than you can actually rival with.

Like seriously, people think EPIC stopped playing because we started playing dota or stopped playing Empires in general, but we actually just ran out of people to play against which defeated the point of our existence. The same thing will happen with JFR if you have no team to play against, you can't just get by playing against shitty mix teams pulled together on the night.

So yeah, maybe if you're lucky another team comes out of this at the end for you to scrim against regularly.

10. Spike

Spike Long Live The King!

I nominate my self to be captain

11. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Tep fucking lel.
    This would be the most disfunctional league in history, and we had trickster vs fn and it was quite the some shit(or whoever the fuck the other guy was)
    Nominate people who can talk without lashing at eachothers throats first thing.

12. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Member

teef would be funny but it would probably be detrimental to the level of play and making people want to come online to play.

I think the later being more important.

13. Spike

Spike Long Live The King!

I think lazybum would make a good captain, hes helped me organize various different things if the past similar to this.

14. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I agree, Lazybum has shown to be motivated to organize players, and his reputation will not deter players from playing for him.

15. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I would certainly like to play and spike should definitely be a captain.

I think I can be captain too if people are alright with that. I wasn't certain I could organize the whole event myself due to some time constraints, but if the responsibility is shared with a couple of people I'm more willing to help out with this.

Still if someone else wants to captain that's cool too, but I'm certainly willing to help out with organizing a bit if needed.

Yeah, as long I'm not commander... LAZYBUM BEST COMM 2015.

16. Trickster

Yeah I like insulting Paradox and shit but he's actually right, either read the OP or don't participate in the thread Teef.

So far it seems like Spike and Lazybum are the main candidates, but the thread hasn't been up that long so I'll give it a few days. I'll admit I don't really know Lazybum as well as I know Spike so I don't exactly know how much organisation stuff he's done.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  17. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Lazybum can do it, him and senor did all the work for the last event.

18. Trickster

Just throwing it out there, if you derail my thread, I will ban both of you and exclude you from the event should it happen.

19. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

I wouldn't mind leading one of the teams, I was thinking about getting something together to have a scrim against Spike anyway.

I've done my fair share of pug and scrim organizing so it shouldn't be a problem for me. I would probably need help from someone who is active and knows newer players though.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  20. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

You should probably do this with lazybum.