Defusing Mines: Lower the time needed to defuse

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by LordDz_2, Apr 4, 2014.

1. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

deleted fuck this ...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  2. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I often don't play gren, but when I do, I find it VERY easy to avoid mines just because of the wall hacks.

If buildings became semi transparent and mines were bright and blinking, then mines would be easy to avoid.

But the fact that different people KEEP talking about mines YEAR AFTER YEAR really drives home that they are broken. You truly have to be good at rationalizing to think that mines are fair after years of almost constant discussion by so many different people.

3. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

You guys are are like a bunch of treasure hunters looking for gold in an ants nest.

Don't do things backwards, look at what is wrong with the element in all its forms and then do things. Look at what its good points are and what should be preserved. Does it do too much damage to infantry? Fine, halve it. Does it do too much damage to tanks? NO.

Btw, you guys do realise that mines are supposed to be semi-invisible, right? They're MINES. Otherwise you'd be better off giving the gren a few turrets instead.

Also, whatever you're balancing around, I hope it's not mines in the rax, since you can deal with that other ways like NO MINES IN THE RAX.

4. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

Okay lets make them explode on the team that laid them also then, after all THEY'RE MINES they dont care what team you are CAUSE THERE MINES

5. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Tell me this then, how else are they actually going to be triggered if people can see them all the time? In that case it'd better to scrap mines and instead have remote explosives. The 9th mine technique is simply that after all.

"They're MINES" applies to the way they work. If they were super visible they would be completely useless, wouldn't they? Or are you saying if everyone sees mines really clearly then it's better?

6. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

As people constantly justify their existence with "but area denial" then they must be just as good when highly visible.

Unless the real mine tactic is to place them in random spots with no rhyme or reason and wait to get an unsatisfying kill out of it. Maybe stack two mines and kill an apc!

7. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Wait, you don't like mines why? You think they're an area denial weapon? No, they're for taking down tanks, and the occasional person who tries to slip passed into your base.

I actually feel they're rush prevention and rush thinning, more than anything. Having mines down prevents people from APC rushing or from tank rushes being super effective.

Don't know what this area denial thing is. I would expect a wall is better at that.... :confused:

8. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

Area denial is the excuse everyone says about why they are necessary.

They're a completely non-fun game mechanic, they discourage player interaction (whoopee I killed you when I was across the map from you with a mine I laid 3 minutes earlier without seeing or being a part of the action, yaaaay) and they're not fun to die to either (for obvious reasons, but beyond the normal amount that death sucks, mines just feel like a cheap shot)

9. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Yes, but area denial is not what they're good for, so you can kinda just chuck that out.

I've never really felt bad about mines. Sometimes I'm like "aww crap" but usually I'm sort of with my team (not lone-wolfing too much) and I've played grenadier a fair bit. Mines are a trap. Traps by nature mean that you're going be away from them when they go off. By your logic, turret are the same, though, which is what I don't get. They are placed and often then moved away from, so what don't you mind about them? Is it the fact that they're weak and can't do any damage to a decent player?

Or is it the fact that you can see them?

Also mines aren't just "lol, mine" quite often they're placed with strategic value. If you die by one, chances are someone thought about it before they placed it. That's why a lot of people who play gren don't put down mines until they get somewhere, they just never think to. Because let's face it, it's not like mines have a shield, they're actually pretty useless if you're using them in battle. That's like "oh wait a minute, let me put down this thing that might work in a bit", it doesn't even have the barrier (fail-adaption) value of a turret.

So far, you haven't really said anything that makes me understand why mines are fail - bearing in mind I get killed by them a fair bit. Is it just that you headlong rush into things and get killed? Is it just that you lonewolf and sneak over them by accident? What is it?

10. flasche

what you describe is area denial, you deny access to the area you mined off - in theory at least, as there is defusal ...

11. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Really? That's random. I guess I can understand that, but...it feels a little unintuitive in a game where we have walls and turrets.

Btw, flasche, do you understand this guy's point? If you do, could you explain it to me please?

12. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Dude, unless someone is being gay and places a mine on top of a ladder, you can dodge every single one them.
    Edit:@urethra

13. flasche

i think the core argument would be "mines require no skill*, but as it is fps, it should be about skill". if you are able to kill with a mine is solely dependet on if your opponent can see them - if theyd be invisible, the "problem" would be even more obvious. true IRL mines usually are burried and not visible at all, but its a game, there need to be a fair chance - or well "need", there doesnt need to be, empires shows quite well - people love OP shit, theyll defend it with whatever absurd argumetns they find. if you pay for games you usually get somewhat impartial guys balancing though, doesnt guarantee good balance, yet at least they try ...

*you dont even need to be there

14. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Hmm...but...I mostly find people don't just run into my mines. It might be nice if there was a better way to deal with a party bus and that an apc full of people didn't just randomly die, I agree, but otherwise people generally can see things. I mean most people don't step on my mines, they go around them, and most vehicles don't drive on mine without defusal, they navigate around them or repair after exploding one...

Edit: So what would be the solution? If you make mines fully visible, they become useless, so is it actually something to remove entirely and replace with something else? Does the guy have any thoughts on that, I wonder...

15. flasche

im not the one responsible for indestructo tanks*, gotta complain to your headquater, they should fire their weapon technicians, they obviously are too dumb to create decent anti tank weaponry ...

*fun game btw ;)

16. Empty

Empty Member

You all need to go play blacklight, the mines in that game detonate when you go within 3m of them, and WILL kill you instantly. Also the game is urban close quarters combat.

Empires on the other hand is wide open and mines only detonate when you step on them. AND you can take a skill to avoid them completely, AND you can just drive over them in any lategame vehicle because unless it's a stack of 8 mines, your heavy will be fine.

17. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

I never liked blacklight when I tried it. Never noticed the mines though, for me it was more that recoil turned everything into an AA gun.

18. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Your mines don't get kills? You've never played against me then, I simply don't look down for the vast majority of the time :p

19. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Yes, lategame tank gets barely scratched but lights get instakilled from a stack of mines.

More importantly: Empty, here is a chance for you to introduce more of your famous
    PARTIIIICLESSS.

One single mine stays as it is, but the more you stack onto them, it will linearily intensify some kind of particle effect.

20. Empty

Empty Member

needs code support but sure.

(9 mine detonation should use the nuke effect pls)