Crazy Props Volume III

Discussion in 'Art' started by dizzyone, Aug 19, 2010.

1. OMEN

OMEN Member

rounded edges only help with structural integrity up to a certain point.
    HOW THE FUCK DO YOU OPEN THESE BOXES ?

if i had one of these boxes in RL, how would i open it ?

2. Smithy

Smithy Developer Staff Member Administrator

Like i already said, you would have to ask Megel since he designed it...I'm pretty sure nobody else knows how it works xD

3. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

ok.. screw the round parts of the boxes. Take them off and that gives you a few polys to make a seam along the top of the box. As of right now it looks like you have to open it like the toy puzzle in Hellraiser.

4. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

or get some heavy LOD support in?

5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

isnt the 1000 tris crate a high detail model that got put in for some reason?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1415325/hi trixy.jpg

how it should have been modeled... i think it should have 46 tris, but i counted in my head... with bumpmaps it could look just as nice as the high poly one, that is if you look at it from a raxes distance

6. OMEN

OMEN Member

blizz, i made that
    24 points, 48 edges, 26 faces, 44 triangles.

no reason to have a crate, that is soo complex and that you cant open it.

7. Killing Machine

Killing Machine Member

now make it shorter D:

8. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

make it at least half the size. OR enable spawning at the top lvl of the barax and turn those round holes into windows to shoot from.

9. Hygrom

Hygrom Member

Why not just cut off the box looking thing that makes up the upper half of the model? Would that not make it shorter? Wouldn't be the same size as a BE rax, but it would be shorter.

10. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

That would be too easy shaddup :(

11. Hygrom

Hygrom Member

So its a quick fix, of course, that would probably mean we would be stuck with the box off until 3.0 when hopefully by that point someone would care enough to make a rax model that would actually be put in the game.

12. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Sorry guys, School has me in a grip, I'll continue this thread once I have my assignments done.

13. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

Wow, amazing to see this thread, complainging about 1k poly's vs 500 vs 100 vs 50. Currently modeling in a game where a simple health pick-up has 3200 poly's and that's really good. HAHAH, sorry just can't get over how you guys complain about poly counts, your computers must've been built back in 2000 or something.

[​IMG]

14. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Aren't they auto-LODed? In Q3-like game you'd see only few pickups like that on the screen and 30k is not much of a problem but if that was emp nade model that can occur 50 times on a screen at once I'd think a bit about it. No LOD & lots of triangles is simply a waste if your model will be few pixels big on the screen.

Anyway most people here can only count polygons, they don't have any idea how long it takes to render expensive shader on 1 big triangle. So as long as they can count polygons they will whine about it because it's the only thing they understand. It's the same case as when I was whining about some old parts of Krenzo's code. Some people could only understand that and started some weird legend of how stupid/amateur Krenzo must have been. Same with Mayama being very experienced with counting polygons but not very skilled artistically.

15. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

lol, indeed man, hit it right on. And about the code, i've seen someone of it, like 3 pages of elseif's. man, you'd have to get a white board and follow the processes most of the time to figure out what the hell was going on.

But yeah, the big ones have little over 50k polies, but renders better than a a plain 100 poly "crate".