Controlled disembarkment

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by A-z-K, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Well only 1 person in this thread said that exiting through doors and all that bullcrap. But there hasn't been any back story on how the units get out of the tanks, so who cares, they could be ghost that die from explosions and bullets that can pass through tank hulls.

2. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

Is there actually a system which decides where at the vehicle you appear when leaving the vehicle? I feel like it depends on the seat you occupy but am not sure. I also feel like its random when your seat 1 and you never exit on a side which is blocked (luckily).

Oh and I would like it to not only make you leave into the direction you face but also face into that direction after.

3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

wowowow, we actually missed a good point why this maybe isnt the best idea.
    imagine this situation.

you drive a LT, cn, ml, no mg. class rifleman.
    infront of you a gren aiming.
    you dodge the missle, the gren starts to reload.
    you aim, break, press exit and lmb
    and at best, as if this wouldnt be op enough already, you turn 180° press use and drive off

sure you could just run him over, but its more unpredictable and you can adjust way easier ... also you could do it in any direction, even reverse.
    it would also get problematic for guys trying to sticky.

ahahaha i just imagined - you spawn as any class with melee upg in the back of an apc while a sneaky guy comes from behind. the guy driving doesnt see him and hed be dead atm. anyway youd just jump out when hes in rage, appearing out of nowhere, puching him to death.

no i actually think this isnt the best idea maybe, at least not a "1:1 exit" ... :D

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  4. zenarion

zenarion Member

Thank you flasche for pointing this out.
    You have swayed me towards the "people exit on the back of the tank" side.

5. flasche

well thank sprayer for telling how hed exploit it ;)

but you could compromise. say you can only select one of the four sides but always spawn centered facing 90° away from the tank. this would at least make it a lot harder to aim when moving fast ...

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  6. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

For sure it shouldn't give people the ability to line up a shot from safe within the vehicle before popping out to take it, I agree that would give way too much advantage.

If you exit on a side of your choice (clearance permitting) facing away from the vehicle I don't think it really gives a big advantage to the person exiting. If it did need to be nerfed further you could randomise the Y axis or something similar so you are not always aiming level with the horizon. This would force you to correct aim both horizontal and vertical to put a shot on target after exiting (just like now).

7. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

It wouldn't be that much of an advantage though, first of all the line of sight is straight with no up/down angle, then again if you already aim at a target inside of your tank, you can shoot the target with that big tank cannon or some mg,
    the biggest issue would be a standing APC but beside in 2nd seat of NFs APC the point of view is far to high to aim at an target even if the up/down angle wasn't straight,
    so it is an issue but not as big as it might sound like first.

8. flasche

are the vehicle mgs as reliable as assault rifles? also you could do it in reload phases or not take a vehicle mg at all (like i do most of the time, except for LTs)

9. Wilson

Wilson Member

It's already too easy to climb out of a tank when facing a grenadier or if you are about to get destroyed. If anything I think it should be harder, so when you exit a tank you have to manually move from the steering wheel to the exit hatch.

Now you will no longer spawn in unpredictable locations either :rolleyes:

10. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I'm not sure that it is a problem now, but if it is then it should be addressed directly through a different change that fixes it directly. If it really is a problem (anyone care to comment?) I think there is a solution that can be applied directly & independently of this suggestion. The problem your highlight is really that the gren spends a lot of time vulnerable & unable to return fire, whereas the person driving the vehicle is only vulnerable & unable to return fire when reloading his weapon for the first time. This situation allows the driver to exploit how quick it is to drive into position, exit and immediately shoot infantry to his advantage and if I have understood correctly it is the exploitation of that ability that you take issue with?

I think a single Gren who is without really good cover like an armoury should be no match for anything other than paper armour unless they are v.good with the RPG and the vehicle driver isn't that hot. Armour to kill armour. Grens to kill entrenched infantry or in bunches to take out small mechanised forces.

Broadly speaking in a fight betweeen two evenly matched/skilled people, the person with the tank/apc should win regardless of class. The same with two evenly matched squads although classes involved becomes more important there.

However with say a single driver in a light, I guess it is annoying for a Gren how easy it is to drive up to them then pop out and kill them. If people really think that is a problem (I don't, it is just the downside of playing a gren without infantry support) then I suggest:

1. The gren shouldn't travel alone in places he/she will likely encounter enemy tanks/apcs. All classes do & should rely on the skills of other classes to excel & even survive.

2. Using other solutions that can be fix the issue directly rather than restricting all changes which may emphasis/increase the problem. In this case I would think a time penalty suitable that would give to the gren an opportunity to land another shot onto a target.

2.a. Make it so that exiting from a vehicle means you can't fire for a second or two unless it was dead stopped (for anyone who need to justify this with an explanation based in real world logic: It'll take at least 1/2 second(s) to unholster & bring your weapon up to aim after exiting a vehicle at speed).
    2.b If you that goes too far against passengers then you just change it so that when exiting the drivers seat (to exit or swap to passenger) you cannot fire your weapon for 1/2 seconds (because you will have to move positions and equip your weapon after driving, in a hatch or the back of an APC your weapon can be in your hands as you exit).

Bottom line, I don't think its a big deal. But if people think it is then there are better ways to fix something else that is broken than objecting to the original post which I still maintain is sound regardless.

11. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I dunno dude, I don't see it changes much from where we are now, its not like an aimbot even now we aren't using pea shooters! Also - will people really take out a LT as a rifleman? surely you would ride shotgun or in an APC? In which case there is already a counter & it is called mines & cover.

Also;
    "you dodge the missle, the gren starts to reload."
    sorry - but this already means the gren is dead, you are a terrible tank driver/have mistakenly equiped plasma, or gren has cover from structures, turrets or walls.

12. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

a gren in an open field fighting say, a paper lt will kill the lt very easily, as long as the lt does not have an mg. any half-decent gren would be able to dodge an lt trying to run it over very easily, and if an lt circlestrafes around the gren to try to kill it, then it's just wasting its time anyways; of course, this only holds true with paper lts. and good grens like dubee or something.
    but yea, it's kinda unlikely that riflemen will drive lts, and i think that this suggestion is more of a fix to the apc in the vf that you find you can't exit for some reason unless your in a certain seat rather than riflemen jumping out of lts gunning down grens.

13. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Any infantry can counter a std mg lt, it's cg that you have to look out for, but most lts are going to have std mg.

14. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

People always expect others to do the worst possible thing they imagine based on their own meanness.

No Flasche, it was meant to not confuse people. If you exit a vehicle looking backwards, wouldnt it be weird to look forwards after?

Since you look from a different point when in the vehicle and outside it wouldn't work as you described.

Also, what kane said.

15. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Send me your paypal information, I'm going to give you 10$ everytime that happens.

16. OuNin

OuNin Member

exit should be in rear to minimize chances of getting stuck

exit direction should be the same as tank body to maintain orientation

17. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I would prefer this to current. Only problem I see with exit exclusively at the rear is that you could more easily block egress by driving into the back of another vehicle, or ruin a spawn point if someone backed it into a wall. When it is possible to exit on all sides there is the least chance that the exit will be blocked

I still think you should be able to choose your side to exit from, but making the rear the default - in normal circumstances it will probably be the most often used.

I am won over that being orientated forward as per the direction of travel is best.

1. It should banish any concerns about people in vehicles taking "cheap shots" at infantry as the infantry cross hairs will already be on target, the person exiting won't be.

2. looking in the direction of travel will mean you see the APC moving off in front of you giving you a good point of reference as to where exactly you are once outside.

18. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

the back is usually the rammed side when you slam tanks into cliffs and walls and stuff.

19. zenarion

zenarion Member

See that's yet an other part I find strange. Tank combat should become ramming only when you are out of ammo, which you never are in Empires. Why the hell does ramming exist, and would we be better off without it?

20. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

ramming exist because it's fun to slam into other tanks and it does like 2 damage and when you do it and you are blinking red and yellow you die.