[Considering] Separate attack and move orders

Discussion in 'Under Consideration' started by OuNin, Feb 8, 2009.

1. OuNin

OuNin Member

Don't you hate it as comm when you give people attack orders then you or their squad leader tells them to move someplace, nullifying the orders?

New attack orders should stack. New move orders should replace old ones.

2. communism

communism poof

3. [SG]GummiBear

[SG]GummiBear Member

yes this would be good, also as commander there is still a limit how far you can zoom out, thus also a limit in how many targets you can give at once (depending on how close the targets are together)

4. Sirex

Sirex Member

I made a suggestion that is in the sticky thread similar to this.
    My solution was to have a dual order system. One overall order objective marker that the commander gives and one local order objective marker that the squad leader gives.

Thus the commander can give an attack this location order (move or defend or whatever) and the squad commander can give local move orders to guide and position his squad to best solve the commanders order.

5. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

Yes, this should be implemented. The SL given command should be an additional target to that of commanders'

6. OuNin

OuNin Member

bumping for emphasis with gui overhaul

7. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Agreed.

8. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

Agreed.

9. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Agreed.

10. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

Well I definately agree.

11. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

GO AGAINST THE GRAIN: DISAGREE

kthnx.

12. Maxaxle

Maxaxle Member

+agree

13. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Here's my only problem with this: We're basically doing this to make comm wallhax more reliable, aren't we? The reason people have a problem with the way things work now is because receiving a move order makes your comm wallhax go away. And comm wallhax are currently so vital to the game that that is crippling.

I mean... I'm not opposed, sure. Comm wallhax are unfortunately that powerful, and all the way things work now accomplishes is that it discourages comms from issuing move orders, which isn't good.

But still. It kinda bothers me that comm wallhax are this important.

14. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

yeh well, headshotmaster obviously interfered enough at the bsid private forums so spawn wont touch comm targets (see HSMs post) so this could aswell be implemented.

i just find it sad that noone seems to be able to get how bad mass targets are for the game ...

15. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Agree.

Squad leader attack orders should also stack.

16. OuNin

OuNin Member

yes, this.

17. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

What color to make the squad leader move/atack orders though? A darker tint perhaps? :confused:

18. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

HSM and I first talked about this issue no more than 3 days ago. I happen to feel that a commanders ability to give targets instead of rage over the mic about enemy locations is a feature not a burden.

This suggestion is not just about wallhax though, it's also about your squad leader trying to give you move orders while your commander is giving other move orders... or comm giving move orders while squad leader paints a target for you.

19. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Here's the problem with it:

It's not optional anymore. The comm doesn't really have any way to give targets 'intelligently' most of the time -- there's little real choice. You just have to frantically spam area-targets for everyone in the area, which is busywork and not very fun. It makes it easier for the comm to fail by forgetting to do it or not knowing about it, but when you do know to do it it adds no depth beyond just clicking frantically. It's fine if you just view it as occasionally highlighting that one key guy, but often "occasionally" turns into "always" and "that one key guy" turns into "the entire enemy team", which defeats the purpose of it.

Often, when I'm comm, I will just sweep targets over key areas constantly -- I don't even know if there are people there or not, but if there are, my targets will pick them up for my team. I'm not just showing people where the enemy are, I'm magically detecting them the instant they slip into anyone's detection radius.

If there was some sort of limitation on area targets so it wasn't just "frantically area-target every part of the map endlessly", it wouldn't be so bad.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  20. CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue Member

Well put.