[Considering] Building Kill messages

Discussion in 'Under Consideration' started by Empty, Feb 1, 2010.

1. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

It's about players, not buildings, the game is practically based around killing people. Buildings aren't players, don't have a respawn time, so I'd say by definition it's spam IMO. You might not see why this is bad, I can't see why you would want this, the comm should be paying attention, a notification that your most important building is down is about as useful as knowing you've lost the game without knowing how you lost. (cue endless chat messages after comm ninja: "WHAT HAPPEN")

It clutters an already limited section, the kill messages. You have a commander, you have a minimap, it's completely pointless and a dying barracks doesn't warrant it being important. The barracks would need to be used to have any value, players will always have value seeing they kinda play the game. Buildings, no.

If you even want this, it should not be mixed with kill messages, instead could just be pasted in the chat area, but again, just because it's a barracks doesn't mean it's important.

2. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I feel the same way as dizzy. I mean my suggestion of having grens be able to see building health was shot down for not being useful all the time. This idea isn't useful ever and it got put under consideration.

3. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

: /

As a commander, I am saddened you believe a barracks isn't important.

4. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

The part I'm personally considering is the fact you get a notification, but not as text spam in chat. We need less of that shit.

I've been imagining it on the right side, like "(Player Name) (IMG of RPG) (IMG of Barracks)".

5. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

You know how hard it is for a squad to ninja a base with out them knowing? With this there is no way that will ever happen again because armor will be there to kill them before they can get a barracks halfway up. The buildings flashing and disappearing from the mini map is more than enough.

Also no need to know who or what weapon was used to kill it. It would be a huge waste of time to add this.

6. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

But it's not more than enough, because you can ninja an entire base and get a barracks up before armor can get to you.

I'm sure you don't think the armors are avoiding you, so the only other logical explaination is that using that little minimap to show show important info is subpar at getting your team to respond to a crisis.

Besides, nothing about "who" "what" and "with what" tells the enemy "where", so I don't see the correlation you are drawing.

7. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

The only time this really happens is on slaughterd where you leave your main base at start. That's an important way to end the game faster then the usual stalemate it ends up being. If they find out your taking the base before you kill all there stuff, get a rax up, turrets and have people spawn there you will lose it.

If you had a decent commander or played on any other map where people will be spawning in every barracks then this is never an issue. We have already gone over how making this game for people who don't know how to play is stupid. Its a good idea to make it easier to learn but they should not be commanding with out knowing a little about the game.

This is completely unrelated to me talking about giving away base ninjas. It's a useless bit of info for anyone. It's like hey I can brag about killing a rax even tho I just threw a nade at the right time when 5 other people and tanks took down 90% of it. Waste of time to add little RPG and Barracks icons.

edit: I mean how many barracks are there on average in a game? About 3 on the biggest maps I would say. It's not hard to realize its getting attacked or destroyed unless your not using it in the first place. And not only do you have the commander looking at the mini map you have the whole team. That's like 18 people looking at the map at any given time.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  8. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Hmm...i've only seen really successful ninjas recently being scouts and the only reason they're so successful is because there's no notification when they saboutage anything (exclamation exclamation exclamation mark one one one eleven).

9. Empty

Empty Member

I didn't even know you could ninja a base.

Single engineers nadespamming an entire main isn't ninjaing, or skill, it's fucking gay.

10. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

A squad with a scout sabs the barracks then you hit it with squad arty, nades, pretty much every thing you got. A single engineer taking down a barracks is easy to counter unless its like a 6 vs 6 game.

11. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

The game should still be designed to be fun even when you have a mediocre comm. It's useless to tell people it would be fun with a decent commander when, sometimes, you're going to be stuck without a decent commander.

"Haha, you're not having fun because your commander sucks, screw you!" is not good game design. The game should be designed to be playable even with mediocre comms (there's a point below which it really will become unplayable no matter what, but we should try and limit that effect.)

This suggestion would numb the pain of having a mediocre comm somewhat, without really influencing games between good comms. So it's a good suggestion.

It's not about making it easier to comm. Screw the comm. It's about ensuring that the game is still fun even with a mediocre comm.

12. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

You should read what I said, a barracks needs to be used for it to have value, by itself it isn't important.

If you threw down 5 barrackses in one area, which is perfectly viable to do (needs res and space), the question is whether 4 of those were actually important.

Theres about 5 or so kill messages displayed at a time, that is way too little to start adding stuff to it of which you can't rate their value (used barracks in their base, vs a barracks somewhere useless).

If you intend to add this, please for the love of god do it in a seperate section, don't add it to kill messages.

13. Maxwell

Maxwell Member

I see a lot of people saying this is a bad idea based upon the enemy seeing the kill messages? Just make them team based, nuff said.

14. Empty

Empty Member

Or just implement them and see that, oh, wow, it improves gameplay a fuckton, adds some soft countering for fucking retarded engineers who nadespam your entire main in 45 seconds and doesn't actually break anything.

15. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I doubt it will improve gameplay a fuckton. But I agree it won't break anything. I just don't want the devs to waste time on this or rush it into the game. If the barracks is under attack message wasn't interrupted by other sounds that aren't as important it might be a bigger help.

I mean if the barracks dies. It's dead. haha it won't help noob comms or prevent lone wolf ninjaneers. I have told a mediocre comm that our barracks was lost but that doesn't mean we will get the base back. It might just make people do other things before killing the barracks knowing that everyone will be notified.

16. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Yeah, it's true that it's not likely to make a big difference (I mean, it'd be kinda too late once you get the message, generally), but I can't imagine it'd be that hard to add...

17. Empty

Empty Member

Bump for consideration and people are retarded who don't want this.

18. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

my points stick ... even if im retarded :3

19. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Yeah, I am retarded for wanting(at the time) the 1 active dev to work on something a little more important.

20. Empty

Empty Member

Brutos and Mootant are not the same person.
    Just because mootant is a machine that pours out code at an insane rate compared to the other coders doesn't mean they aren't working.

And that wasn't your argument before, so you're admitting you were wrong pretty much.