Bio is in... Why?

Discussion in 'General' started by recon, Oct 9, 2008.

1. recon

recon SM Support Dev

About three or four months ago, it was frowned upon to research anything in the bio tree.

Over the past few months, I've noticed an surge in the number of commanders and players who research / use the bio tree.

Most people go into the bio tree for Regen, so I'll talk about that first.

As a commander, I research Regen because it's
    • Cheap
    • Light
    • Tough against DU
    • Fast to research
    • Good all around armor
    As a driver, I like Regen because it's
    • Light
    • Self Repairing
    • Tough against DU
    • Good all around armor
    Regen also has the highest health (75), which is 5 less than Composite health (80).

As a commander, I research Bio Diesel because it's
    • Close to Regen
    • Good for tanks that will encounter / use nukes
    As a driver, unless I am using a nuke, I can not stand Bio Diesel because it has the worst heat dissipation of any engine and it's slow.

Any other reasons you guys like / dislike bio?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  2. communism

communism poof

Theres no reason not to research bio. It doesn't take its 2x damage from bio weapons and in my personal book the best armor in the game, a quick research that comes with a quick engine that is very valuable late game (if nukes get brought in)

I can research bio meds by the time the enemy even has touched the mech tree (assuming they are going physics which is the only real alternative)

3. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Yet another good reason. It's tough against bio since the armor regenerates as it gets damaged.

Electrical Engineering (Reactive / 3 Phase) was pretty much the standard until people started using bio more frequently.

4. Deiform

Deiform Member

I generally use bio tree if we need a quick regain of the map and need something cheap to spam out tanks. If we control the map I go for elec for the expensive awesomeness of reactive and/or level3s.

If I'm feeling rather dashing I'll go for reflective which is good enough for the whole game.

People don't use bio mg enough tbh in real games. I generally make a habit of getting it when I have to research regen/bio diesel. Also there's a misconception that biodiesel is fast. It is not - it's the same speed as adv coolant which is the second slowest engine in the game after standard.

5. Empty

Empty Member

Faster, marginally.

6. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Probably something to do with researching it takes almost as much time as getting meds.

7. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

its good for noobs, thats why we res. it.

8. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Ye, bio is like forced thing to research on most maps just to counter the nukes.

Bleh I hate nukes atm.

9. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Two words: Noob-Friendly :)

10. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

Because regen is the best armor in the game.

Since you don't have to repair yourself, it allows you to go grenadier so you can get defusal and armor detection. Huge advantage in tank battles. It's also dirt cheap but has one of the highest health per plate out of all armors.

Bio diesel is kind of fail but anything is better than standard.

11. communism

communism poof

Yeah but early game its a decent engine, it takes skill to overheat bio engine with a light/AFV

12. Notorious

Notorious Member

yea, ive been going bio diesel and regen because:

-it gets done fast, being right inside the bio branch
    -bio diesel may overheat faster, but you can keep moving at the same speed even when its overheated
    -bio diesel has a good turning ability, which is nice to have in a tank when vs. infantry
    -regen has a lot of hp, self-heals, and is super cheap

what i don't like is that most intermediate phases of research include rails or high explosive, which tears nub drivers to pieces in regen armor

reactive and 3phase went out because:

-reactive is heavy and expensive, no matter how much damage it can take
    -3phase overheats fast, and since its right next to rails for BE, it overheats very fast under constant rail spam unless you have skill upgrades
    -3phase, from what i hear, is better then gas turbine, which makes the previous statement i just made all the more reason to not put it on a rail tank
    -from what i hear, reactive is good against HE, but again, heavy and expensive

other armors:
    -i heard reflective was best against missiles?
    -absorbant good against rails, but shouldnt be gotten first, as it takes a sub-tree tech before you can start researching it, and it also blows against anything other then rails
    -composite, best all around, but lets face it, most servers have it on a three minute research timer, its hella expensive, and res multipliers don't make it worth getting, and its way off in left field in research, unless you think it would be unexpected to completely research the mechanical branch

13. Drag

Drag Member

As probably everyone knows by now I dislike regen armor and I loathe bio diesel.

Bugged nukes are the only reason I'd research bio diesel, and since its research is fast enough I can tech it if the enemy is starting nukes.

Regen armor takes 14 additional damage from railguns.
    It takes 12,8 additional damage from HE cannons.
    And so on...

Every friggin shot. And you are hit very easy if you have bio diesel.

In addition to that you get 3,2 more heat from every enemy rail shot when using regen armor. About 4,2 extra heat per enemy HE shot...

Regen/Bio is not a noob friendly combination, its a noob commander combination.

As for bio diesel... well I can't even kill a commander solo with it. Why would I bother using it...?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  14. communism

communism poof

It takes more damage but has a higher base HP and can self heal so it kinda negates it

15. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

Source please

16. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Damage to heat modifier. I don't think that is correct at all though to be honest. afaik its 3% for regen 1 for abs and 2.5 for the rest.

17. Drag

Drag Member

Yea youre right

18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i like bio diesel, goes great for hit and actually running strategies with tanks

19. Notorious

Notorious Member

the only thing overheat screws up for you on a bio diesel tank, is being able to shoot your gun, if 100% of your driving ability is being able to shoot your main weapon, you shouldnt be driving, therefore overheat isnt a factor in complaining about bio diesel.

whether regen takes more damage or not, which it does, from rails and HE, still means you have cheap regen tanks early game for a very important few minutes before people can finish researching HE mediums or rail heavies.

plus, smart drivers, who are rifleman or grenadiers (or scouts i guess), who cant repair, or drop ammo, can actually run from battle(because theyre smart) and let regen heal itself behind the front lines, and then come back for more, without having to abandon a tank (which would be stupid no matter for what reason) or drive around complaining about how no one repairs them.

FYI---experienced players, and true veterans, appreciate EVERY kind of research, and know how to use each and every technology to their advantage in certain situations, if you dont like something, your a nub, and need to be quiet

all of this rant directed towards whiners, if you're not whining, don't get butt hurt, this isnt against you

back when 3phase/reactive was the 'hot new research path' that someone mentioned earlier in remembrance, i remember that you had to be smart enough to actually space out your shots instead of spamming, so you didn't overheat and become a sitting duck in your 3phase, with the massive influx of new players, research paths have demanded nub friendly research, such as bio diesel, which doesnt destroy your movement if it overheats, even if it does overheat fast, which keeps nubs out of an incredibly unfriendly aspect of vehicle tactics (not being able to move while surrounded by enemies)(let alone shoot your main gun)

true experienced players will appreciate having ANY research at all, in certain situations, considering certain past experiences in which comms forget to research, or research the completely out of the way techs, counter-productive techs, too expensive techs, or actual useful techs

-Empires Command gameplay has evolved into pre-designed research stereotypical....and predictable... research paths...
    -There is no magical research route that will make your lives easier, most of the research you get from your commanders, is some of the fastest pathing that can be done, unless servers have tweaked research times
    -your commander, who your team voted for, through a democratic process, will decide his research path, into what he deems will bring victory, obviously, one of the teams will be wrong, at the end of the match,(unless its one of those good games that last for hours, in which case teams, and not research, detemine the winners)
    -so if you don't like something, im not sure what to say to that, except that you're selfish and hyper-self-aware of only what you want. i can take complaints about research easily in stride when i'm commanding, but keep it out of the threads on the forums, you're wasting people's time

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  20. Drag

Drag Member

running doesn't win games, it just results in rather boring circle jerks. if you want to run use 3phase, it has the added bonus of actually being able to kill bases, tanks and commanders (bio diesel isn't faster than commander, you can't even chase him properly)

How is running away from the battle smart. You lose ground and don't kill anything.

The lack of common sense in this community is frightening.