Biggest Euro 2012 disappointment

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by MOOtant, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

In this thread:

Fuck the topic, I have admin!

2. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Democracy, aka, a system where a crapload of parties that can do some good don't get voted in and the one that does has a minority so it can't do any changes, it is all a popularity contest, and 60% of the citizens, who complain afterwards, did not vote.

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

My arguments are this. Why are politicians qualified to work with the economy? They aren't economists, so why does everyone think that just because they were voted to do it, they'll be good at it? Politics just isn't related to the nitty gritty of running a country, it's all for show, and I could really give 2 shits about it. Your head-figure, yeah, he should probably be voted. But the "cabinet" or whatever the closed circle around the guy in charge, should be people qualified in their fields, not politicians.

4. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

That leads to serious corruption though, its the system that the USA uses and people like Dubya Bush and Obama have really abused it. (Like putting MPAA people in charge of justice and oil tycoons in charge of environmental policies, that kind of shit.)

The idea of democracy is to give politicians authority.

5. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

Hanlon's razor would only apply if one would argue that they went there for pure evil, but doing something simply to gain an advantage isn't "for evil purposes" ... I'm sure SOMEONE is now richer then before ...

6. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

I never really understood why no one ever thought of having a group of competent and relevant professionals define policy publically instead of either selecting a group of politicians unfit for defining policies because they know jack shit about it, or (even worse) selecting a group of competent individuals that bend the system towards their own goals opaquely and efficiently.

tl; dr - When defining policy on X, conduct debate with people knowledgeable about X, as well as an array of other (again, competent) policy makers. When discussing economic measures, don't just include economists but also include sociologists, environmental experts, etc

7. Space_Oddity

You're expecting people to do the right thing. Whenever you're thinking about politics, remember that people are assholes.

8. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

Oh, Empires forum. The place where the discussion goes from football to serious politics.

9. Trickster

To some extent. Sometimes you have to use a neutral party. You aren't going to get an environmentalist who isn't masturbating over wind turbines (which by the way, are dumb), and you may struggle to find a sociologist who isn't a bit of a hippy. I use economist as an example because their success in their field is something that can really be tangibly gauged. As another example, military defence, and above all, budgeting the Ministry of Defence (or whatever the sector that pays for all military shit is in your country) is something that needs to be done by someone FROM the armed forces, who knows what the troops need, knows what can be cut, and knows what is and isn't needed for defence. Education should be handled by someone who's gone through the system and has proven results, more than likely a really well respected headmaster who's worked at multiple schools, from a variety of levels, from private schools to the most deprived areas as well.

I don't see why politicians are qualified to do any of that. The fact is, the person you elect should be the person who hires these guys. He gets judged on who he hires and what they do. You elect a single guy based on his judgement in picking people to do the right job.

10. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Yes well you understand what I mean: which idiot ever thought that letting politicians decide policy themselves was a good idea?

11. Space_Oddity

Politicians.

Its still the prefered sytem, rather than corruption. Giving people jobs in government rather than electing them is (among other things) what led to the bloody French Revolution. What should happpen is a combination of the two ideas. You have to be voted in but you have to be qualified for the position, i.e. have a PhD in a genuinely related subject. Obviously toilet paper arts degrees would be fine for generic roles such as MP for ... Constituency.

12. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

I told you so...

13. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

When airplane is taking a dive you don't start a vote whether pilot should try to get it up again. Managing a country is far more complicated than flying an airplane so democracy is quite absurd.

14. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

its sad that politicians were ever created. Who thought that a cast of people who know nothing about what they are deciding and don't bother to read up on the subject was a good idea? This crap all comes from the retarded British system which itself comes from... what... Romans?

15. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I feel like no one here is using the word "politician" correctly. A politician is anyone that holds political office and is involved in making choices or influencing choices, regardless of whether it was an election, inheritance, appointment or from a revolution. If an economist holds a political office, then he is also a politician. So I'm wondering what exactly you guys are considering a politician to be.

16. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Candles we are joking, we all understand what the definition for politician is we are just making a joke that the majority of politicians lack the skills to run a political office.

17. Rippie

Rippie Member

I find it funny that no one is comfortable with ordinary people taking office to represent ordinary people. But that we would rather prefer some sort of schooled professionals to run our countries.

Also working as a politician seems to make you less capable of being a politician in all cases according to popular belief, so its a skill that cannot be learned by doing but only taught by this mysterious external factor.

It all sounds a bit disturbing to me...

18. Space_Oddity

So I sat through a whole football match this evening, Ireland vs Italy. I have to say, the Italians are cheating scum and should all die.

/themostinvestedI'veeverbeeninsport

19. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Nothing new

20. Trickster

Yeah that's pretty standard with Italy.

Also, I define a "politician" as someone who has gone to university, and achieved a degree in something like "political science". Someone who essentially has a degree in politics. And @Rippie, how you can call politicians ordinary people I don't really know. Most schooled professionals have worked for their position, whereas most Politicians were private schooled, went to a top university, and are mostly rich as fuck. I don't hate on them for that, but it doesn't qualify them to be more normal than a trained professional.