better vehicle restriction

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Reef, Jan 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andariel

Andariel Member

steam id's stored in a client side.cfg, any long time commander will have a list of whom to permit what and clanner could add their entire clan in theirs (well i wouldn't include anyone from my clan)

so these would be a smart game thing as the game remembers who you think is worth it or not

(like my remember last class' loadout suggestion it would be a smart game thing)

2. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

So you're implementing a tool primarily designed to stop people griefing, that can and will be used by commanders to reduce the fun of the game for others?

lets cut the crap here, what on earth is this "On most of the servers I've played on, this isn't a game for 'kiddy' fun, where you do whatever you want, whenever you want, however you want. There are rules, and you are expected to follow them, including obeying your commander, so that everybody can enjoy the game. That's how adults have fun." about? you're saying that you would enjoy the match if your commander locked the VF for you, personally? I don't see how you'd be having adult fun, or any other fun for that matter if the commander decided that you personally were not capable of purchasing vehicles.

if this tool is implemented, commanders will use it FOR 'GOOD' AND ILL. Disagree with the commander? Commander may well lock vehicles for you. Make suggestions to the guy? whoa there, he might penalize you. YOU don't know what commanders can and will do. I know that ALL commanders get players that piss them off some times. I hear commanders ripping the crap out of new or inexperienced players every time I play. If you ever get the "joy" of playing under HSM, enjoy the full 10 minutes before you win the map filled with more insults and abuse than most people can handle. I have seen people quit because of this. The point of this paragraph? to show that commanders in general will always, often, be stupider and more punishing to the team than they deserve. This is only a tool to allow them to vent their frustration by making other peoples game experience LESS FUN.

These people. most people. will lock the VF. You yourself say you will lock the vf for one person. To make the game less fun for this person? why don't we lock them out of anything except for engineer next, because surely that's what is best for the team. Surely, being able to lock players as engineer would be GREAT for the team, and you can have "adult fun" at the same time too!

Also, please tell me how I attacked you personally. Sure, you may come up with suggestions that would dramatically fuck up the game, that are impractical and generally a waste of coding time, but have I ever actually attacked you personally? Less threats please next time.

3. Reef

Reef Member

First of all, I must notice that DeadlyDad is the ONLY player that wants per player restrictions implemented. That has to mean something :)
    This topic was NOT meant to be about per player per vehicle restrictions. It's meant to be about per vehicle per team restriction that almost everyone approove.
    DeadlyDad: feel free to make a new topic with Your idea and we will count a number of players demanding implementation ;)

What I mean is: maby You are totally right and we need Your solution, but it seems that You cannot 'sell it' to players.

Also I must say, that in my opinion, Your idea fails and is dangerous for the Empires project. Here is why: new players (emp_recriut) won't be able to drive vehicles. They will be frustrated by other players running them over and shooting them with nukes.
    This will happen. If two teams will play the game and NF will lock the VF on per-player basis and BE will not lock it, BE will fail for sure. Noobs will build some stuff and NF will have only perfectly designed tanks driven by the most known players on the server. To compensate, BE commander will be forced to lock his VF on per-player basis.
    On the next map, both commanders will lock VF on per-player basis in fear of noob-constructors in their team and per-player locking on the other team.

No noob will be able to drive a vehicle anymore, if Your system is implemented.
    So what, You think the bad ass commander will not be voted again? You are wrong. There will be 60% of good players on the servers that will be granted VF building privilages and they will vote for this commander. But hey, if I myself was a player and there would be two candidates and first would say that he will lock VF on per-player basis and the other would said that he will NOT lock VF on per-player basis, I would vote for the first one. I would be granted privilages so it doesn't harm me and it would keep a jeep-taxi problem off me and my team. That means that with the first commander we have greater chance to win and I don't want to loose.

Well, the manual or the media description said that commander can punish players by ordering them to perform a guard duty.
    That is not implemented.
    I think that Your point is right. There are players that don't give a s**t about their team, they just want to have fun. I call them griefers. They should be punished by the commander. If You want fun, go play GarryMod. Empires is about teamplay. Guard duty should be limited ofcourse, but this is a case for some other topic. DeadlyDad: I think You should create a separate topic about it.

4. zergl

zergl Member

5. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

people say that if you don't like a commander, you don't vote him again.

HAH!

more likely, your whole team is struggling to find one person that wants to command. I see that all the time.

hell, if there is the choice between a commander that pisses me off and is damn good, and some new guy that may well not know what he's doing, people choose the commander that's gunna give them a good match to play.

there was one commander today that didn't appear to be reading text. i waited by one (well there were 2 nearby actually) ref point for ten minutes yelling REF NE REF NE REF REF NE SOMEONE USE VOICE TO TELL THE COMMANDER TO DROP ME A REF E6 before i got one. (i tested my no reading text theory by typing in all chat THE COMM IS AN IDIOT and he managed to read it :|) but anyway, although i liked him, that did irritate me. he didn't seem too responsive to text. but I sure as hell voted him in the next match. better him than some comm that doesn't know what to do. plus i liked the guy.

6. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

7. Reef

Reef Member

Well, I used the search function on the suggestions forum before I created this topic. The other topic is in "Game Play" section, that's the problem.
    I can't wait for DeadlyDad's response!

8. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Even then, if another thread exists with the same discussion, try to keep it to that thread.
    Locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.