Beta Map VIDEOS!

Discussion in 'General' started by MrBojangl3s, Sep 4, 2006.

1. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

The minimap?

And Google Video is being a bitch and is STILL processing my video of the jeep run, which was very fun to make and watch :D
    I'm also trying to send the videos via Gmail to Katana for a download, but it's just sitting there so I'm also uploading them to file.sc.

2. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

You could try Putfile in the meantime.

3. jambo

jambo Member

the city dosn't have to be dirty , just make up a good story to fit the scene
    eg. the war hasn't actuly reached here yet , so bren sneak into the city for the first time & set up base , by morning the northern faction scouts report bren activity in the area..... , all war breaks loose !

or , the other way round

Last edited: Sep 4, 2006
  4. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

grizzly... i will give you my first born son if this is ready by 1.08.

the lighting is a bit drab, the city needs to look lived in, but all in all it is an amazing looking map.

5. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

humm, would it be ok if I notify mod-hq about this or would it be prefered to have it more complete before it being posted anywhere? =o

6. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Putfile only allows like 10mb or 15 mb videos. After compressing from 800mb, I got the Showcase video down to 112 mb. Before it gets out of hand, let's not populate this thread with "What codec did you use?" "_INSERT CODEC NAME HERE_ is great! Try that!"

Google Video doesn't have any restrictions, so I choose there for streaming. I'm having trouble emailing them to katana, so I will just have to use file.sc, a service similar to rapidshare but 10x better.

7. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

Has anyone ever thought of having some totally black areas, where people have to use flashlights? it could have signs around to make it obvious where to go, and that flashlights were neccessary...

8. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Ok, I have a HQ link for the showcase, and soon I will have a YouTube link to the Jeep Run! :D

EDIT:
    YouTube link is up!

9. ^Dee^

btw, this will be an officla map, yes? =o

10. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

Another careful observer who's noticed Grizzly's lack of released maps even though he is on staff.

11. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Who, Dee?
    And I hope this will be an official map too, Dee, because it's got the scale of Gauntlet, but feels way more Empres-y :)

Also, I remember seeing Grizzly make a post with a screenshot of the subway a LONG time ago, (actually like 1-2 months ago). So maybe he's been working on this map since then.

12. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

Wow... that's pretty big.
    [​IMG]

But I can see now how tense some of these battles are going to be.

13. ^Dee^

I just need confirmation and permission from grizzly to give this to alex to post on mod-hq =P

14. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Come on Grizzly! I'm sure this map will make other people's head asplode, as in Pope's awesome gif.

You could ask Krenzo, Dee, that's who I asked about making and hosting these vids. (Didn't want to spoil stuff for people :D)

BTW, what do you guys think of the jeep run? Should I do another one, or maybe team up and have a... APC RACE?!?! Hmmm....

15. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

Did someone say race :) Just like the good old days...

16. Grizzly

Grizzly BEAR SIZED DOORS

Concidering that this version of the map was a testing version and not the final grafical looking hawt as pr0n version, i'm not really sure, but go ask krenzo about it insted, he usualy knows what to do

17. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

I have no doubt in Grizzly. We like to tease him when it comes to mapping.

18. Goose

Goose Member

I think the lack of trash is a better thing. This isnt HL2 single player where graphics are everything. I think little things like that will just cause slow load times and even worse fps. Grizzly I enjoyed playing the map. The imp spawn is a little bit lame, maybe having it be like a sports field, or even just the walls be the remains of a blown up building. The NF base has the bridge that is blown. Have the walls just be the exterior of the building and no roof.

19. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

It's not about whoring graphics, it's about making the environment less bland and sterile, and more unique and interesting. Decals and bits of trash would not increase the load time in any noticable way, and the framerate hit would be miniscule. Furthermore, maps contribute a large amount to the overall impression of the mod, and having a bit o' pretty would only improve the perceived quality of Empires.

20. Onea

Onea Member

re: map

Don't take this the wrong way, but the map doesn't look like its nearly ready for release. It is attractive looking, but have you thought about how it is going to play?

It can't judge the layout of the map from a quick video so I'll ask some rhetorical questions: Where are the resources going to be located? Does the layout favour a certain team? Is it going to be entirely linear with all the fighting going to occur on one street? The way it looks now, huge parts of the map are never going to be visited.

Finally, I would like to comment on the sewer-idea in general. People mentioned the sewers are a good place to hide from tanks. Except... if the enemy team has a whole bunch of tanks above ground and you go hide in the sewers, guess what happens to your CV? You just lost the match. If the enemy had tanks, I'd be pissed if my team ran off to hide. I personally would never, ever, go in the sewers. The only possible use would be to ninja their CV... which is lame. For the above reasons, I suggest you reconsider the inclusion of the sewers, or at least think hard about their impact on the gameplay. The look good, but are they fun?

I hope you take this as constructive criticism. We all appreciate the hard work you and all the staff are putting into the game.

Thanks,
    Jim