Beta Map VIDEOS!

Discussion in 'General' started by MrBojangl3s, Sep 4, 2006.

1. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Here is one video I made showcasing the map in testing, Streets of Fire, by Grizzly.
    First off, I filmed in Gmod, so of course stuff might be missing/not appearing right. Second, I added a few things in, just to show scale.
    CLICK HERE NOW!
    Here is a MUCH higher quality vid available for download, just wait until the 5 gets to 0 and click the download button:
    HIGH QUALITY

This other video is a Jeep Run of the map in Gmod, showing how long it takes to cross the map. The Sheer pwnage scale of it.
    YOUTUBE NOW!

EDIT: I know it's poor quality, but apperently Google compressed my vid after I uploaded it, making it super-low-quality. And remember people, the map is UNFINISHED. So if you are quick to judge, just remember that.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2006
  2. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

Pretty nice. Make a vid of the subway next, unless it's not finnished of course.

3. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

4. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Well, the screenshot of the subway in the screenshot thread basically showed it, because it's like that for 2 areas. Maybe it will be a thing that you can anticipate seeing and playing more :D

And lol @ that gif pope.

5. Grizzly

Grizzly BEAR SIZED DOORS

the impsspawn (construction site) looks crappy, need to change it a bit me thinks :/

6. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

You need some better lighting in the sewers, too. Cross-crossing light_spots could add some interesting lighting in the lowermost portion, and in the tunnels leading to that spot, have a few of the light_spots you've placed burnt out or flickering or something, because the lighting is a bit too monotonous. I love the bits-o-buildings around the spawns, don't touch those. The lighting outside seems a bit bland; throw a little color into the light_environment, and if all else fails, remember that it's perfectly fair to have a few floating lights here and there to tweak the coloration and lighting direction (if you do it subtly).

I also refuse to believe that the city is that damn clean. You have a set, nay, a repertoire of trash decals and overlays, and you would be lax in your duties were you to neglect them.

I understand that this is a beta, and that you are far from finished, but it's better to get feedback now than to get it at the point where you can't go back and fix certain things.

7. Grizzly

Grizzly BEAR SIZED DOORS

I really do apriciate the feedback :)

8. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

You need more propaganda posters and dead civilians!

Also, how about making some parts of the map destructable by high damage like artillery fire?

9. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

hmm, good idea.

I would like it if, say, half the city had been bombarded and was covered with craters

10. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

I would like it if artillery could break buildings to look like they'd be bombarded. There is a setting for func_breakables and func_physboxes that sets the minimum damage amount to affect, so it could be set to that of an artillery shell.

11. Vlade

Vlade Member

I already said this to Grizzly ingame :) But tbh theres alot of other things that are more important to fix atm, like textures that are missing and ladders that dont work, and windows that dont break and ......

Etc :)

12. Grizzly

Grizzly BEAR SIZED DOORS

Well, breaking annything decreses performence, and having breakable buildings with a frequency that would make sense (why can i destroy that but not that?!?!??!) would probobly make the map more or less unplayble, i'm currently puting playbility over looks (please don't shoot me pix :( )

custom decals, trash, cool lighting and the like is and have been planed for a while, naturaly, but i would like to keep the city looking atleast decently intact to suport the back story i put together

naturaly, there could be some bombshells and signs of civil unrest (walls with bulletholes and bloodsplater, a few buildings burning, blockades etc)

13. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

nice. Day of Defeat (origional) has foxholes in buildings for people to shoot out of, and most of these could be blasted. it worked quite well.

14. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

Very nice. That is how I pictured the urban mps when I first started playing the mod. One nit pic though. It looked there was only two doors into the sewer. I can esaly see them being blocked by a single turrent(can you picture a lvl 3 mg turrent at the top of that ladder and trying to rush past it?). Is there going multiple exits or possibly tie into this subway?

15. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

ARGH!!! THE TURRENTS STRIKE BACK!

I should really have a wander round this map, it looks excellent.

16. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

if they could be rebuildable...

17. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

I missed the fox hole bit. Yea that would be cool I think some one made some map extras that could be used. Oh and that lighting in the sewers I like it how it is. In a real sewer the who thing isnt lit up like a mall. I can see some cool fire fights in thouse dark areas with cool mussle flashes...

18. Grizzly

Grizzly BEAR SIZED DOORS

The plan was for it to go into the subway, connecting the subparts of the maps for when tanks start rolling around on the streets (it becoms rather nasty if your on foot about then :P) and also giving infantery the ability to get around the main chokepoint and leave it to the tanks

But obviusly it will have to be changed around to make it as fun to play as possible

19. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

That really is teh shizzle. It's not that big, but it does have a very clever layout which makes it appear so.

I love the sewers, should give infantry a place to hang out away from tanks. Have you explored the possibility of an underground res node?

A few more overlays to dirty it up a little wouldn't go a miss, maybe some propaganda as someone else said. How about a community competition where the best propaganda posters get put into the map?

Construction site could do with some materials lying around the place, with some cables or something to break up the upper levels. It should look a little more under-construction if you know what I mean.

Don't take any of this as negative though; I'm loving the map, can't wait to play it! Any chance of seeing this for 1.08?

20. HackUser

HackUser Member

Great map. And do we get a navigation system with it, else we might get lost.