Beginning to command

Discussion in 'General' started by MartinPL, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Abs is pretty nice actually, works super well on nf. Regen is nice til heavies, then it's just too much damage against it, but I'd still like to have it because it's wonderful as a gren with armor upgrade. Really it's more to do with ease of use then anything, with so many incompetent drivers in tanks the less thinking and skill required the more likely you are to win with whatever.

If it did go straight into a counter system I could only see it really working if every cannon and missile behaved the same, then just use the resists to make research trees better or worse against the other ones. It certainly would be a less fun situation but hey it removes that pesky player skill that makes our current and many past trees seem absolutely shit, so now you get to see the whole thing every game, what fun.

2. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I need to realize things will never change and there will always be one armor and one engine no matter how many continuous tweaks the game has.
    Can reflective be the next op armor?

I think its been a long time since we used reflective and nuclear fission for everything.

3. Lazybum

????????? But I see fission all the time, reflective really depends on commanders.

4. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Nope, apprently I need to get 3phase every game because everything else is bad.

I also want coolant to make a come back, can that be a good engine again?
    I feel that speed solving every single thing is retarded and tanks are not supposed to be race cars.

5. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

That's how I feel. I'd rather the tanks feel more like what I'd picture a tank being rather than a modified HL2 jeep with some cool guns.

3phase is the undisputed best right now. Fission used to be better, then I think 2.12 changed that.

6. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I am going to bring up something that's gonna make you guys feel embarrassed a bit.

https://wiki.empiresmod.com/Change_Log
    The last meaningful change I did to "a specific engine"(not all engines), is 11 months ago, 2.8.0, where I buffed advanced coolant's cooling ability.
    I have to admit, I focused on everything else because engine scripts were less broken than everything else.

The point is that, during this 11 months that pretty much no impactful change has been done, I've seen 4 "OP engine", each with numerous people supporting them with reasons.
    Advanced coolant, gas turbine, fission and now 3 phase.
    *Poor bio diesal*

I dunno, apparently scripts do just switch to random numbers if I leave them untouched for a while.
    "When everything is more or less useful, you are very easily to think there's a best option, because it works all the time." <= I probably should add this line to my signature.

I am going to give "help bio diesal" a higher place on my priority list.

7. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

I think what has happened in this time is someone says Gas Turbine is best, people go with that for a bit, then someone tries out fission, then someone tries out 3phase and rules that its better than fission due to the heat gain thing and eventually we are where we are now. It's much different than weapons as it has far less of an impact on the game than the guns, but I will agree that it can kind of be complaints when stuff doesn't change. As of now though, I think people would agree 3phase is the goto.

VulcanStorm likes this.
  8. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Idk why everyone is talking to bigteef like he knows anything. He just started playing this game and barely has any hours lol

9. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

3phase is the braindead engine ever since the self-overheating thing was removed. A bad player's only real worry is having to retreat when there is too much damage coming through, so secondary parameters like weight or cooling are irrelevant to them, it's all about how quickly you can leave. And since 3phase not only is the fastest, but also accelerates quickly, it has no competition among worse players.

Composite fills the same "best for the braindead" function due to all-round effectivity against the majority of weapons. It also doesn't suffer from the reactive psychological problem where having less plates of a stronger armor makes your tank appear squishier - if you can get past that problem in your head, reactive is the simplest to use, no questions asked.

10. Lazybum

My one problem with 3phase is I tend to spin out on it with be heavies a lot, feels like it kills me more often then not. Maybe that's just because I'm so used to driving them with gas or coolant in the past half year that I forgot about how spin happy be heavies can be.