Anti-Missile and Shell Turrets

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Tarantio, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Tarantio

Tarantio Member

I posted this somewhere it didnt belong; So I'm posting it here now, since it is a different idea to what was originally going in the the first thread.
    Anyway, here are my (And influenced slightly by others) ideas...

BE = Patriot / Defender missile systems - shooting down incoming missiles and shells
    These defence systems would use missiles to shoot incoming shells, and have some sort of chain gun on the side or top for shooting missiles. I chose a chain gun to shoot the missiles as missile VS. Missile seems silly maybe? and unescesary.
    Heres a picture I drew: (Click the pictures!)
    The "Tahoma MK5"
    [​IMG]

NF = As someone else suggested, something along the lines of a Flak Cannon?
    Well heres a drawing I did... kinda ugly.. I dont expect anyone else to like it much.
    Flak is.. as far as I remember.. chunks of lead squashed into shells (?) that have a large impact radius. Also effective against aircraft.
    Here it is:
    The "Flak Cannon" (No points for originality there then :P)
    [​IMG]

Upon further thought and reading, how about maybe the NF are the only team that posess the shield technoligy? Be it very limited. Or perhaps some sort of "Laser Field" Turret like.. or maybe something attached to a building?
    I was thinking some sort of rotating platform attached to a building with a sphere on top with Laser-focusing "Eyes" (Only word I could think of) on it that focus the lasers, firing at shells and missiles, destroying them. Look at the picture and tell me what you think?
    Here it is:
    [​IMG]

I think if the BE have the Tahoma MK5 and the NF have the Laser Field, that stops it sort of being.. one side has one thing and the other has an equal counter.
    Also, there would be no "Overheating" issues with the lasers. At least not any that cause it to overheat after one or two focused shots. That would be terrible design and I cant understand why anyone would field a weapon like that. So that the armies are balanced? I dont think so! :P

Feedback please?

2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i like the flack and the lazer, but as i mentioned before,

this wont work, missile vs missile are used mainly, its cheap, easy and relyable

shooting with a chain gun (even when adapted to this purpuse) wont really work

1: missiles need to be taken out from miles away, so there rubble wont fall down on the enplacement
    2: chain guns wont be 100% relyable on killing the missile, chain guns will need the misile to come to close, so even it is intercepted, it will still damage
    3: bullets make barrels overheat, barrels even need to be changed every so often
    4: the bullets will need to have a large calibre, so alot of recoil, so inacurate/heavy gun, so hard to transport/aim/controll

it is not practical, but i do like your paint skills :D

in real life they use missiles designed for aguilaty accuracy and speed, they dont even need to have explosives, just hitting the missile woud make it blow up

as evidence i challenge you to find a bullet/projectile based anti missile site/vehicle

Last edited: Jun 16, 2006
  3. FalconX

FalconX Developer

I've always thought it would be interesting to do something like this with the AA turrets. BE missiles- lots of damage at 1 time, NF flak- little bits of damage for a long time.

4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

yes, falconx that woud be good

but dont let missiles overpower or somthing

maybe make flack have a greater range

5. Lock N' Load

Lock N' Load Member

You got it right with Flak, it's basicly metal fragments and throwing cannon on the back of it, it means it's a weapon.

I like the way you did it, the BE have the more advanced Chain Gun like modern Anti-missle weapons that are on Battleships and the missles for shells.
    And, the NF being the less advanced, "Stuff some powder in there, toss some metal bits and blow it up!" type weapon.

But the Laser thing doesn't seem like it'd fit with Empires, yes, it is futureistic but not very Scifi.

6. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

they are more then yust scrapp fired, flack bullets have a scaler, you can adjust the hight it will blow up with it,

7. Lock N' Load

Lock N' Load Member

Yes, there is more than just metal bits, but no, Flack is basicly buckshot and there would be no control. Maybe haveing a Choke on the weapon could determine it's range effectiveness, but it wouldn't blow up.

8. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

http://www.thehewitt.net/jpeg/flack.jpg

flack is a chump of metal with a small charge in it, it blows up at the set hight and scatters peaces of metal like a granade in all directions

so basically ether a granade, or buckshots firing in mid air

9. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

This was suggested before:

For BE have some sort of an EMP field that jams missles and possibly shells, either re routing their direction or blowing them up

The NF laser defence Idea could be NF's Equivelant of this...

10. Carrigage

Carrigage Member

Just testing.. :P

Did it in 5 mins

[​IMG]

11. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Not a bad job for 5 mins :p

Did you use primitives? or did you manupulate something into that?

12. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

why are you guys still adding a belt gun to it???

IT WONT LOOK GOOD, AND IT WOUD SUCK TOTALLY

13. Lock N' Load

Lock N' Load Member

Those are Airburst Anti-Air weapons. they fire a shell that detonates in air, spitting shrapnel(In this case, Flak.) in all directions to take down air planes.

I was talking Flak as in a Flak Cannon which works like an over sized muzzel loaded shotgun.

Tarantio, what were you thinking of?
    I thought Flak Cannon since you have the Anti-Missile Multi-Barrel Machinegun ( Chain-, Gatling-, Mini, Ect.- Guns) that would fire bullets and not bombs.

It does look good and would be used to take out Missiles like it does in real life.

14. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

show me proof, show me a picture of a belt gun designed to kill missiles

you wont find it, cous it dous not exist
    why? becous it woud be giganticly inpractical

and dont show me those navy ones, they are for killing fighter jets, they are mistakenly called anti missile, but they only are used for it as last resort

Last edited: Jun 17, 2006
  15. Lock N' Load

Lock N' Load Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close-in_weapon_system
    [​IMG]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close-in_weapon_system

THEY ARE FOR TAKING DOWN MISSILES
    And if you don't accept this as fact, then it's the dam future and miniguns still look better than any thing in existance but are much better at taking down targets, even small and fast moving missiles.

And they aren't there for taking down enemy Aircraft, but that can and are used for that.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2006
  16. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

From the same article

-Sheepe

17. Lock N' Load

Lock N' Load Member

They are devloping more effective ways since missiles are getting smarter and move randomly when nearing the target, throwing off the guns ablity to lead the missile.
    Since the only missile in Empires that does anything similar to that is the Grenadir's RPG, then the Minigun would be very useful.

18. Tarantio

Tarantio Member

Yeah stick with the minigun, it's practical and looks awesome too ^_^

[/quote]For BE have some sort of an EMP field that jams missles and possibly shells, either re routing their direction or blowing them up

The NF laser defence Idea could be NF's Equivelant of this...[/quote]

We've got to get out of the habit of having something for BE and then the "equivalent" for the NF - it'll make for more diverse gameplay.

[/quote]I was talking Flak as in a Flak Cannon which works like an over sized muzzel loaded shotgun.

Tarantio, what were you thinking of?[/quote]

Yeah, I was thinking flak cannon too.

Also; Carrigage, nice modelling ^_^
    I like the shield on the base.

( Yes, I still havent quite figured out how to quote... :P )

19. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

they are quite ineffective against missiles, iv seen one intercept an anti ship missile, it was bad, real bad, it blew up 12 meters from the ship

the rubble killed 3 sailors

mostly for anti missile they use missiles, small fast agile ones
    in europ we have an anti missile heat guided missile

basically, there is an optic lenze on the tip, on lounched, it gets a target assigned and locks in

it has a total lengt of max 50 cm (i dont know exaclty, i forgot the real name for it and cant seem to google it)

they dont fly that far but are extremely fast and can turn really fast

they look very like this, but it seems this is an american type
    http://www.diehl-bgt-defence.de/uploads/tx_cliwsprograms/RAM.jpg

simple

3: ways,
    1: manually = putting "quote" at the start and "/quote" at the end (replacing " with [ and ]
    2: half automaticly = pressing the text baloon in the post menu above your not-yet-posted-message, then placing the text you need to quote in between
    3: automaticly = pressing the "quote" button next to the post you want to quote (below on the right corner of every post)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2006
  20. Carrigage

Carrigage Member

I made another one, which I worked on a bit longer, since I had the time.

It might not be so extremely beautiful, but it serves its purpose :P

Render 1
    [​IMG]

Render 2
    [​IMG]

Render 3
    [​IMG]