Announcing the Empires Union

Discussion in 'General' started by OuNin, Dec 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

I can has summary, kthxbai?

2. OuNin

OuNin Member

From the President of the Movement for Democracy and Progress, an excerpt from the end of his speech:
    See: http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=11516

3. Empty

Empty Member

Why the hell do you think anyone cares about the black hole?
    It's the equivalent of /b/

Oh wait, that's why.

4. vlamnire

vlamnire Member

Since Sk1nn3r cannot post:

On behalf of the ECO, I agree that the EU was ended.

5. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

Well, I involved myself in the EU to support development and continued interest in the mod... not just the forums, but actual involvement, Ex. in playtests and script tests that would result in larger test groups allowing testers to receive data more accurate to an actual empires game. I involved myself and accepted leadership when Kane first announced the mod becoming dead (and Kylegar removed the post, giving most of the comm unity a week's delay in the official announcement). My goals were to bring the community together, and keep it working together. Frankly, with regards to Gigar and whoever else would like to point out my mistakes, the fact remains the only posts I have had in this thread and in trying to lead this organization have been positive and helpful (ask RoboTek), but the carpet was swept out from me. This all happened long before your post Gigar.

Other members chose to speak for the EU and set forth its mission statement as almost identical to the MDP, and refused to alter or remove the posts upon request. Which put me basically in a puppet position many days ago, and I have since done nothing with regards to the EU. This was because it was never really trying to work towards these goals that I felt were more important, or at least higher priority than the user bill of rights that are sought after by the MDP. In the statements made, no reference was made to helping the community exist and develop the game, only that users be fairly treated.

This organization was given life without me, and when I came on it's mission statement was made without me and I informed the makers it would lead to the dissolution of the organization. And then the organization was of course, dissolved without me, and then I was blamed for it. Even though my name was only mentioned once by Gigar, and then again in the post of dissolution as a scape goat. Even though I haven't posted at all since the beginning XD.

So, I'm told to liquefy the organization and "resign" my post. I don't really see how my post was respected in the first place by the members interested in the EU's existence (or why my name was a point of contention as if I've said anything misleading in this thread ^^) and I resigned to its failure when that became apparent. I relayed my resignation to those who put themselves in charge about this at that time, and only come back here to post because I've been pestered to do so. As far as I'm concerned, I have nothing to do with this organization ^^, and have not been working anything behind the curtains, but go ahead and blame it on me <_>, I could care less since they never really wanted to better the mod only the forums.

The only involvement I had was to help promote the testing, which was a success, and I'm happy to see that getting attention. I hope someone does decide, at some point, that they do appreciate participating in mod tweaks and organizing as such. If people are interested in that (since the playtester steam group is outdated mostly) do let me know. I get most of that support through the use of steamfriends, all this has attracted is the trolls. As I said before, this breakdown occured very early, and Gigar while I do realize that a. I can contribute a lot to empires and b. every participant needs to be accepting of criticism, I do not wish to be criticized for something that was driven into the ground by OP with my severe misgivings. Leader or whatnot, I will continue to attempt to organize people spontaneously through steamfriends until another time when people feel like putting forth combined efforts as an organization to also improve the empires mod itself rather than just the empires mod forums.

From the previous post (ounin's), I assume EU ded? Oh rly? <_>. I wonder if it's because it just became about the MDP.

EDIT:

I just saw this. Yea, they all were "praising your defense". Apparently none of them have balls enough or are sociable enough to speak to a dev and ask "why is hamster bannz0red?", because I went into IRC and got him unbanned in less than 20 minutes. OH SHI- another horrible mistake by Cpatton :D

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  6. OuNin

OuNin Member

The goal of the EU was to unite the users to improve the mod and forum in accordance with Krenzo's words and of the scientific-materialist progressive forces emulated by various members of various organizations. Your goal was to fortify this basis and to nurture it, and to not stray from this path in accordance with the various members who wanted you to uphold this same path, and in accordance with the various members of all other organizations and movements who were working with the EU to achieve progress.

The testing that the EU promoted was good, I support it and I think everyone can support it, that is the one good thing the EU had accomplished.

As for Fricken Hamster, various users called upon the forum to unban Fricken Hamster, from yourself to the MDP to the ECO and to various other users.

7. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

As for hamster, I went into IRC, I talked with the devs, Brutos, Kane, Kylegar, etc. and in 20 minutes of conversation which I monitored, he was unbanned. So speak what you want about whoever spoke up, I actually got serious enough to try for 20 minutes and it was done. I have little respect for those who "spoke", because apparently they weren't very loud... at all.

I didn't wish to sabotage your EU with my misgivings. I was appointed quietly, I left quietly, and I did nothing other than nurture it in my time... except also get some good appreciated support for a playtest that occurred before your post of the EU's mission statement. The EU seemed to only have eyes for forum rights, which simply mirrored the MDP, which IMO was too small and narrow a goal, and would not have yielded anything significant. As I predicted, it has dissolved, and done so without my help. If you expected me to nurture something that was basically torpedoed by long winded posts about things most people don't particularly care about, I'm sorry but a soap box does little to bail water.

8. Brutos

If you want to do something useful, grab the latest debug bin i'll post later to the svn and note down all asserts you find and all bugs and stuff. Stop wasting your time writing paragraph after paragraph of useless shit. That none isn't reading nor will ever be read.

I think most crashes should be fixed by now. gtfo with your talking -.-

9. OuNin

OuNin Member

The EU was dissolved. Its members recognized it as dissolved, the ECO, MDP, USG, UUAA, etc. recognize it as dissolved, and I think it is clear that it is now dissolved. The EU was founded after a meeting of the ECO in late December, and the revoking of its existence by the ECO I feel is especially justified.

As for Fricken Hamster, it is clear that many of the members of the MDP; the most vocal supporters of Fricken Hamster's unbanning, cannot be here today or could not risk appearing out in the open without reprisals. We did, however, alert other members, and the MDP talked to the BSID clan about Fricken Hamster and convinced the BSID to lobby on his behalf. The MDP and other organizations did the best they could.

10. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

hahaha, great Brutos, I look forward to it.

And I don't mind the paragraphs myself, the few who also don't participate in the MDP because they enjoy the blackhole a lot more than most. Good luck to them ^^.

I am BSID. I also was already supporting his unban long before their lobby, as seen by my blackhole posts Kane responded to. I mobilized them long before you in a joking campaign in that thread in respond to kane demanding "one reason to unban FH" upon my prodding. It was lulz, and while you can't see the thread mobilizing them, I will move it to the public portion of the BSID forums soon. Enjoy.

So... basically MDP is not able to do it themselves, they "mobilized BSID" to accomplish it. BSID is powerful indeed :D.

11. Brutos

new dlls commited go test them, have fun doing something useful (lol)

12. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

New DLLs? Changelog rather than the shitty SVN one?

13. Brutos

Didnt kane post the git changelog somewhere?

edit seems to be outdated:
    -fixed a freeze crash that seemed to occur randomly (i hope at leat)
    i think this is one of the last crashes, try everything to get the game to crash kthx.

-new scripting stuff
    -heat capacity for every engine
    - more research items possible

- you can enable 9 mining with a server cheat cvar

Whats important is getting the game to somehow crash.

Also i think i enabled resistances again but did something wrong some weapons might do too much damage, but we can care about balance later.

Edit 2: Also I'm commiting siros updated jeep lod models in some seconds.

14. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

googog brutos save the day

15. Brutos

9 mines were done by kane, i dont totally agree with it but w/e

16. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Remove the cheat flag from the cvar.

You don't agree with adding a feature that 90% of the community wanted as soon as you removed it?

17. Brutos

Make a new thread for that discussion.

18. recon

recon SM Support Dev

I need to make a thread for you to delete 20 characters (the cheat flag for the 9 mine cvar) of Empires code? Is that a joke or something?

In the time we've spent talking about it, I could've stripped the cheat flag with a SourceMod plugin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.