Angels Fall First

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by A-z-K, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

I bought it because of the comparisons to planetside and ES and I'm excited to try it out.

2. Spike

Spike Long Live The King!

wow i have to say this game looks very interesting

3. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I've basically been playing it all day instead of working...
    I'm trying not to be a fan boy because I'm aware that did buy it wanting to love it, but the amount of content is pretty damn staggering & it is all there, no grinding, no unlocks.

I'm still getting my head around some of it but I think this would be great to play with a bunch of people in TS. I'm about to try out the RTS side commanding the AI bots - which are actually suprisingly good.

Edit: I have a heavy machine gun with a CQB flame thrower. This is the best game ever.
    Ohh and it is for sale for 13.37... 1337. I like that they priced it for a pun. Thats a bold move Cotton, lets see if it pays off.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  4. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Being a battlefront fan boy, and being let down and then settling for a middle ground.

I would like to see this game come out for full price, being somebody who doesn't ever have any money.
    Buying a game that isn't finished isn't exactly the best way to spend my future money.

I look forward to it coming out, I just hope it stays afloat when it does. So many games with dead communities out there.
    Has the developer mentioned modding or anything like that?

Because if somebody makes a 40k conversion, the game will last quite awhile.

5. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I would imagine if 7 guys with no budget got it this far then it will be finished.
    I'd say that besides polish it is done - feature and content complete, it feels it anyway. Just like gui stuff that wants doing and optimization

6. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

The customization is kind of overwhelming, I'm sure I can get over it but at the moment I just grab an assault rifle, engy tool, and flashbang nades cause there's just so much stuff and modifications. They also gotta up their sound game, that's the area I feel is lacking. And also the GUI being really cluttered. It's not crazy buggy, I soft-locked the vehicle tutorial the first time though. Game itself is fun once I found out what was going on. The ship falling apart when you blow up the core is crazy cool.

7. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Yeah there is a hell of a lot going on. I've no idea whether it is balanced but every weapon I've tried has been unique. There is a gatling gun that spins up and the RoF increases the longer you fire it - Pretty hilarious romping down alleyways mowing eveything down, until it overheats and you are fucked.

8. Catface

Catface Member

Having played it a bit now, I can say my first impression is kind of positive.

I like the space part, even though the GUI is kind of confusing at first. It took me a while to figure out how to repair modules on a capital ship, and it isn't immediately clear that the other damage (which is visible internally in the form of charred hulls and fire) cannot be repaired as far as I know.

My problem is mostly that the infantry and (ground) vehicle combat is quite lackluster. Most infantry weapons feel quite cookie cutter and I didn't feel there was that much of a difference in stats when changing modules or armours. Only a few of the weapon are really worth using (Semi-auto sniper, light SMG, anti-vehicle railgun and the shotgun), with the rest being pea shooters in comparison - including the machineguns and high calibre rifles.

Overall the maps look nice and are enjoyable to play, though the textures look a bit dated, which doesn't go well with the detailed geometry.

I also don't like how you cannot spawn vehicles most of the time and they are extremely limited. The jeep handling is weird, and it is confusing at first trying to figure out how to change seats.
    I can't judge the other vehicles besides the APC, which is satisfying to use but lacking in customization. If your team manages to keep them alive and build up a nice amount of them you are pretty much guaranteed to win on the ground maps.

This is in contrast with the space combat, where customization is both more expansive and did seem to make quite a difference.

The commander mechanic is mostly limited to assigning targets (as far as I noticed), but it works nicely in context, and a competent commander will make a difference. It's also interesting to note that the game has a an AI commander in case there are no volunteers.

It's clear that the game needs a lot of polishing, and I did run into some game breaking bugs a few time. Including falling through the bottom of the map, not being able to move your ship if you tried to look around (using alt) during warps and a weird bug where you are ejected from your ship during docking and forced to float in space.

In all, I do recommend it. But only the space combat/boarding part.

9. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

The infantry side feels like a big pot with all the ingredients dumped into it, it's hard to really make out the form of the game at this point. I don't like the way vehicle spawns are done in ground combat and vehicles in general don't seem to be worked out yet. Space dogfighting is pretty impressive and interesting but doesn't quite float my boat. Taking on the capital ships in bombers or by boarding is the real attraction for me and is pretty satisfying but does not yet hold a candle to Battlefront II. I think the potential is there for sure though. It certainly feels nearer to BFII than the real Battlefront franchise is right now though. I like their attention to the singleplayer/instant action side of it. All in all worth the $17 and totally promising.

10. BigTeef

Yeah, it still makes me mad that some dead indie game and then resurrected is closer to battlefront than a triple A development team.

11. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I can barely remember when I enjoyed a AAA title now. Everything is built to satisfy the lowest common denominator and unfortunately that means very simplistic mechanics. I guess it is a result of the rising investment cost driving these guys to go for the safest options in everything. As disappointing as it is, a Starwars skinned COD-alike will sell more than a true Battlefront sequel even if it doesn't live as long.

For sure AFF is far from perfect, balance is a long way from where it needs to be maybe but I dispute that all the weapons feel the same. Every weapon I picked up has felt pretty unique to me, but then I'm pretty shit at FPS games... I'll agree about vehicle spawns though - I don't like the way they are handling that right now.

But all said it is real early release, literally days. Since then they have released 2 pretty fundamental updates that have addressed some of the bigger game breaking issues which is pretty impressive for a handful of guys who have full time jobs.

The thing that gives me most confidence is the passable commander & bot AI. They've not gone early release with something unplayable. I don't doubt they will finish it, but I do think it has a long way to go and it will be a long time to get there. But as far as game mechanics go it is the most interested I have been in any game in ages. I expect it will end up being a very compelling game with some major pit falls but it is still going to offer something which is a unique experience.

I'm interested to see where it is in 6 months time & regardless of its shortcomings (many of which may remain indefinitely) I'm pretty sure I'll be enjoying it for a good while.

12. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I don't know why, but when I watched the vid of this I ended up thinking of titanfall and how much I enjoyed that. They aren't really the same at all, but damn was that a fun game.

Also for people who played this, is commanding here like commanding in empires? Either a terrible experience because you can't make complicated plans/can feel like babysitting or everything just works and it feels nice? Reading catface's review made me feel like you could swap empires here and there it would still work, so it got me curious.

13. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

naa from what i can tell commanding is basically limited to giving players/ai bots an objective. not as nuanced but there is still something to it - pushes have to be timed right, etc. a good commander will surely be a big advantage but there is an automated ai commander too.

14. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Yeah the AI is pretty good though, kills my fps though unless I only have like 8 per team. The way things are looking it could be the next Empires - amateur game with a tiny development team that started out as a mod for another game and ended up being the fucking shit. I hope it's the shit. wmost other recent games have bored me

15. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

The temptation rises...

16. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Players seem to repeatedly spam chat with "Spaaaaaace" which is pretty endearing - though I've yet to be raged at and called a noob so I must not be doing it right.

17. Catface

Catface Member

It's not really like Empires, and from what I have read they are not intending to add any more complicated commander mechanics. Which is a shame really.

I tried it a few times. But there isn't much to do besides assigning primaries and organizing your cap ships. I do like the fact that I am still allowed to participate in the game even as commander. Mostly doing the mundane stuff like bombing defenses, moving your cap ship and repairing modules.

I certainly do recommend it though if you can look past its alpha flaws. And it feels pretty refreshing compared to the AAA FPS games being released these days.

18. complete_

complete_ lamer

i didnt find eternal silence and planetside2 very fun to play even though i really liked the concept.
    no dlc/level grinding is enticing though

19. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

dont jinx it

20. BigTeef

If its good though and has the same amount of effort the game is, I would consider it.