An Experiment

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Krenzo, May 17, 2006.

1. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

only light guns can be held that way without crushing your face (try it, but i do not recomend)

if the Brenodi Empire's machine gun shoud be able to do this, it woud be when you dig in (as in resting the gun on the ground and holding it like that)

2. Lime

Lime Member

Oh pls god give us an iron sight option :)

Not a fixed one, but one you can toggle on and off...

3. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

I used feet because the default Hammer unit is equivalent to one inch, meaning that (OMG?!?) Source uses, by default, the Imperial System.

And no, it would not be a near enough approximation. The only point at which the angled hitscan would be equal in drop to the actual arc would be at one second. Before then, it would be too much of a drop; after, and it would be too little.

4. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

On the FAQ or something it says that the BE use inplants, so why not have data feeding for the BE, from their mask to a place on the HUD, this could be an upgrade, or it could be an abillity

5. Half-Life_Maniac

Half-Life_Maniac Member

I like the idea of iron-sights, but I don't think it works too well with the big ol' machine guns. It'd make more sense for them to be either deployed on a bipod , but that's a whole different story.

6. SniperX

SniperX Member

I don't think that bullet drop could work by implementing an angle change in the direction of the bullet. Remember gravity is a constant but the velocity of the bullet changes with time. As the bullet slows it has more effect of gravity and can't cover ground as fast so it drops and slows drops and slows etc. So the real path looks like a curved line getting steeper at the end and the simple change in angle would just be the same line just not pointing in the right place.

Right?

7. theBlind

theBlind Member

That's why it's called an approximation ;)

Granted, a linear approximation of an exponential function, but making the calculations needed less involving is the entire point of approximations.

8. Jimather

Jimather Member

i think i speak for the larger community when i say, sod it, no bullet drop.

find a different way to solve pistol sniping, bullet drop has much too large an implication upon gameplay and general performance, no matter the way its done.

pistol sniping could easily be solved with the same damage drop off system as is applied to the scout rifle.

9. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

A linear approximation of an exponential function is pretty much worthless, to be honest. You lose a vital piece of information when you do that. Sorry, Blind. It was a nice idea, but it just doesn't pan out. Hell, the whole concept of bullet drop could be negated by just aiming slightly higher than normal with a linear approximation.

Why do you say that? Since I brought up the idea of bullet drop, two peope have said they liked the idea (theBlind and Lock N' Load), one person has objected because he thought it was realism without gameplay function (Krenzo), and a discussion has broken out over how it would be implemented. Not to be pushy or anything, but I don't really think you do speak for the larger community here.

This should really split off into its own topic. It's entirely taken over the ironsights. :D

10. Gunnery Seargent Hartman

Gunnery Seargent Hartman Member

I wouldn't mind bullet dropping at all since currently most tank guns projectiles drop like mad, too.

A tank main gun has a muzzle velocity of about 1500 m/s (1200-1850 m/s).
    Pistols and Rifles around 800 m/s (300-1000 m/s)

And I have to note that tank ammunition weights significantly more thus the kinetic energy the tanks round carries is far greater (like x10000).

11. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

it would be nice if you could make it deployable like the machineguns in DOD

However what you have now is nice.

12. Wertbarg

Wertbarg Member

iron sights=w00t
    bullet drop=a silly, pointless, pain

13. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

But what are your arguments for this? (The bullet drop, not the iron sights; everybody knows that ironsights are the best thing since sliced bread.)

14. Jn.

Jn. Member

I'm for iron sights for the middle rifles, deployable heavy rifles, and retaining the zoom for the assault rifles.

15. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

it would be nice to have a decent zoom for the assualt rifles though