Aircraft audio demo

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Angry, Feb 3, 2008.

1. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

It did sound rather nice, although you could mistake it for a washing machine doing a spin dryer bit. You probably wouldnt do that in game though unless NF barracks gets a laundry room.

2. Caelo

Caelo Member

ogg vorbis :)

3. Angry

Angry Junior Member

Because .wav is the format we're going to use... Ok truthfully I'm just lazy.

4. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

My washing machine sounds like a fucking helicopter because not all of its corners are on the ground. So whenever it starts spinning it sounds like a helicopter revving up lol

So on terms of realism I give these sounds a 10 :p

5. KILLX

KILLX Banned

KICKASS!

How will turning affect the sounds? And will there be a warning for those with headphones, because I nearly went deaf listening to those as they got louder. my ears are still ringing 2 minutes later.

6. Angry

Angry Junior Member

Well turn your damn volume down, although I may sometimes think it, your not stupid.

Also as I said, this is tied to aircraft speed, if you slow by turning the sound pitch will drop with the speed.

7. KILLX

KILLX Banned

yes, but isnt turning specifically noticeable in terms of soundwhen a plane turns?

8. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

Aircraft noise comes mostly from two sources: the engine and the air passing around the aircraft. The first part is tied to the speed (to the power of seven), the second one, of course, to the thrust setting.

A civilian pilot will try to fly a "sustained turn" where he loses neither speed nor altitude. For that he will have to increase engine thrust somewhat. So you'd have a slight increase in engine noise, but none in aerodynamic noise.

Fighter aircraft have an optimum turning speed. If they go slower they can't develop maximum g-forces and thus have a slower turn rate, if they go faster they have too much inertia and have a bigger turn radius. (so both being too fast or too slow might kill you in a dogfight) If you've played Falcon 4.0 you may remember that the F16's optimum turning speed is between 330 and 440 knots.
    So whether you have an increase or decrease in noise depends on the situation, and it's therefore kinda hard to do with pitch modification.

I hope I didn't screw this up, I've never explained flight mechanics at five in the morning before.

EDIT: OK, I really did screw up. The engine sound depends on the thrust setting and the aerodynamic noise changes with speed, not vice cersa.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  9. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

not having flown planes, I wouldnt know whether its speed or thrust that would make more difference, but I think there should be some difference between engines working as hard as they can at 100knots or gently cruising at 100knots

10. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

This raises a question I have never seen answered before: how will the throttle work in Empires? In BF you pretty much either have thrust or no thrust, while in every Flightsim you have a throttle lever. If it's going to be like a flightsim then you're probably better off tying the engine sound pitch to the thrust setting rather than speed, because that's how it is in real life and more or less every comparable game.

11. Angry

Angry Junior Member

Tornado Sirens just went off.. This should be interesting... I guess I'll work on sounds alittle later.

But jms, last time I checked Krenzo is modeling the dynamics off the Falcon 4 F16 flight sim.

12. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

Then I vote for engine sounds depending on the thrust setting.

13. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Thrust makes more sense then speed. Same as a car, step on the gas and the engine reves up high but you still havn't reached the speed you asked for. A plane/jet works the same way with even more lag in power response. Push the throttle on a plane/jet to max from min and it takes quite some time to reach max speed.

14. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

A component of both also makes sense if its reasonaly easy to do. Have the engine noise vary with thrust but whatever noise you have for flying fast in a plan get louder/change with speed.

Turning the engine off at 90mph on a motorway wouldn't make the car totally silent given road noise and what not (and probably sirens as its a little dangerous maybe) especially on concrete roads.

15. Angry

Angry Junior Member

Ok thrust it is, I've changed my first post.

16. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Sounds awesome.

But in my opinion the bomber's sounds could be a bit more bassier or somehow sound more slower and stronger. Like the power is coming from real badass muthafucking massive engines which give massive blast to the ground when the bomber lifts off.

In short, bomber could use more bass or something but I'm fine with these sounds too. They sound awesome. :cool:

17. Angry

Angry Junior Member

I feel they sound good enough, (747 engine mixed with a B17), besides bombers won't be flying very low, I highly doubt you'll be close enough to one for a good amount of time.

18. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

well for the heavy bombs... krenzo better make sure you have to be low to get good aim. Perhaps 5-7 vf high?

19. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

is there going to be doppler effect in empires?

20. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Yeah but I was more thinking about when you are next to one on aircraft pad when someone creates a bomber, then you could hear its power and also when you are inside one of those bombers you are going to constantly hear that sound. So that's why I was thinking that those could sound a bit more bassier.