About commanding...

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by [PRKL] Werihukka, Jan 8, 2009.

1. [PRKL] Werihukka

[PRKL] Werihukka Member

Mostly when there's no volunteer as comm, you'll propably loose. Let me tell you a little story:

This one time I played, I was in a team of people I hadn't seen playing Empires at all. Nobody wanted to comm, one newbie was voted to comm and he didn't want. It took him 2 minutes to realize how to come out of the CV and even then there was no volunteers, so I decided to try even though I had played that custom map only once before and never comm'd a single map to the end.

In my experience, comm'ing sucks when team doesn't know how to play. That wasn't surprise, but when you are trying to command living people, it seems that over half of them are deaf, blind, stupid or just ignorant of what's going on. So, people demand stuff like "give rax here" and you can't even put a rax anywhere near because there's no room and after that same person gets killed and comes near the CV to constantly whine about how I didn't do what he told me to. And so on... You propably know the rest.

So, what makes commanding suck, in my opinion:
    • Commanding living persons is almost always hard, because they don't want to be commanded and they want to decide for themselves.
    • Players constantly command the commander to do something
    • New players are constantly whining about almost everything you do, or don't.
    • Commanding in general has long learning time. Most notably new custom maps are hard for the first time.
    • People bitch about not having good vehicles/weapons/armors/engines and still don't bother building/destroying refinerys

This is just my experience, and I don't have much. But you definately have to be a good commander if you want to be commander, you can't learn to command without constantly losing and hearing all that whining about how much you suck, but it seems to be the only way to learn.

I'm seriously bad commander, but it would be nice to be able to comm if there's simply no one else to do that job.

2. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Yeah, you need to have a thick skin if you want to command.

3. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Hmm, let me tell you about one com in empires.

His name is too long, so we'll just anonymously abbreviate it as HSM.

Now, HSM isn't the best com in the world. He isn't usually better than the enemy com. But his team is always working together to do what he thinks needs to be done.

why?

so he'll stfu :P

That's one method of comming.

Think of your people as children, You tell them what is going to happen, and if they dont' like it, they can switch teams, unless they can't switch teams, in which case they are fucked.

4. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

PROTIP: vote for me if you want to win

and yes, the majority of Empires players are retarded

5. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Have a mic.
    And scream at people when they don't killspawn. FORCE them to killspawn.

6. o_O

o_O Member

well first off, someones always complaining about your armor. Reflective and bio are paper even though there are probly the best two, reactive is too heavy, comp is too expensive, absorbant is too fail...

Half your team will be making tanks unless the VF is locked, half your team will never make a tank even with 10k res, build your strategy around that (small games = get cheap stuff, big games = get expensive stuff)

Do everything in your power to keep people away from any locations like mvalley dam, cyclopean city, or any place that can be turned into a fort, because half the people that go will spend the rest of the game building walls there, and then get killed by one rifleman when the enemy rolls an apc in. If someone is building a fort or walling off a location (without a good reason) then keep recycling their walls. I once commed a game where a couple euros delayed our victory for 10+ minutes because they sat there walling off the enemy base on streets "so the enemy tanks couldn't get out" even though they only had 2 mediums left.

Half your team is going to be just too retarded to listen to voice chat and walk around the map at the same time. The only thing that will make them change their mind is move to this location move to this location move to this location move to this location move to this location move to this location move to this location move to this location move to this location move to this location move to this location move to this location move to this location move to this location move to this location move to this location move to this location move to this location

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  7. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Almost everyone that has a mic is to retarded to listen to chat.
    I must be a genius cause I can read chat and play at the same time...

8. LordDz

Oh and yes! Always have a backup barrack for your frontlines.
    If there's a chance that an enemy will be able to sneak behind your trustworthy allies who do all they can to kill people (read: Builds wall as riflemen), it's always nice to have a backup plan.

9. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

that doesn't work, sorry :(

10. Bass

Bass Member

I was Comming Dustorm once and people wanted arties. I was holding out on arties because I wanted to get better armor first (had Regen only). Every 10 seconds I got a complaint about not having arties. Well, since the other team had level 3 turrets, I went for reflective.

I don't know if that was the best choice or not, but players need to understand that PAPER TANKS SUCK.

11. LordDz

Actually, arties > Lvl 3 turrets, no matter what armour they have..
    and regen isn't paper really.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  12. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

I'm a proponent of "alternate routing" whenever I'm in the commander seat. Can't find any new combinations if you never try any, and you need to lose some to put together a good strategy that nullifies the majority's.

13. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

well, if you have a server filled with the best players, you can probably find these alternate strategies

but I think we have them all anyway, they're found pretty quick, especially when you can get the actual stats for the weapons/research

its a shame really that whatever you research needs to be retard proof or its all over for your team

14. flounder

flounder Member

When you're on a team and no one wants to comm, that's cause the other team stacked against you. They probably have 4 or 5 competent comms. So, really, doing anything but turtling in that situation is pointless.

15. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Nope, BioAPC rush
    1. Quickly research regen/biodiesel/biomg/apc spawn
    2. Recycle all spawn points
    3. Mic/chat spam for all teammates to get outside the VF
    4. Pump out as many BioMG APC's as possible
    5. Tell them to follow you and rush the enemy CV

Only works 50% of the time but that's a higher chance then the 0-10% you had due to enemy team stacking.

16. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

Dawgas, you know how the commander works, but you always take too long to research the needed stuff. You think too far ahead, and your team gets crushed before your plans are accomplished.

17. Tovarich Cookie

Tovarich Cookie Member

empires = skill stacking game.

it has gotten better since the influx of new players, but the problem is, if you see a name that you know, you would probably want to go on his team.

and dont even BOTHER denying it.

18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

Only because i cannot chat with them if im on the other team

19. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

wow, constructive criticism

last I checked, 2xUML heavies/biomg apcs with spawns/HE cannon UML medium tanks are needed

I guess I get bad teams all the time, but I hate doing level 3s -> adv rpg, because nobody can call for/build turrets

20. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

This is how you get your team to stop camping main base. Recycle the rax. If you want to prepare a rush? recyle the raxes except the VF one. Just get rid of all their options.