6 month have passed - may i bring up tickets again?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by flasche, Oct 24, 2010.

1. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I like that.

2. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

After reading all three pages of this thread, I wonder how Flasche can survive falling out of a plane without a parachute.

3. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I would wonder the same for most people unless the plane wasn't up in the air very high or he had godly good luck and was one of those 1 in a bazillion chance survivors of people who DO jump and have a multi parachute failure AND live to tell about it.

http://www.esquire.com/dont-miss/wifl/parachutefailure0807

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  4. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

You are such a jerk yourself flasche. Whenever anybody writes a post which is as long as your posts are, you stop reading attentive and miss vital points.

I always wait for the revive and shout at the revengy running past me like the asshole I am.

When I'm squadleader I use squadrev whenever 2 members are dead. It keeps my squad together and capable to fight. Waiting till all are dead means increasing the risk of all getting killed by a single tank driving by.

All the facts Kane stated already. Those dealing with classic maps, needless to say.

It's the most reliable path to victory. When most of your team works good together, reviving each other, holding their positions, having a good mix of anti-inf and ant-tank you can keep defending and then it doesn't even matter when you have some jerks doing noobshit.
    All the ways to victory you told, which are absolutely unrelated to tickets, rely on one player or a small group of players. If this one, or one of the group fails, mostly the whole strategy fails.
    Ticket victory does more rely on the whole team. Through the tickets, we get a game basing on teamplay.

Gratz, you suggested another way to make the loosing team far more be unable to fight back.

My arguments for and against tickets:

+Tickets allow classic maps combined with Flags to Bleed tickets (allowing more high-priority targets)
    +Game always means something about competition. Fun is subjective, but every human feels good winning a competition. Tickets add to the competitive part of the game, since if everybody knows how to play, the game does not only rely on the shooting and driving skills of each player on the team, but also on the mistakes of the opposing team. Wasting tickets is such a mistake.
    +Tickets are the way to tell noobs "Dieing is bad in a game as well!"
    +When a game comes down to both teams having less then 20 Tickets it adds some of a thrill

-Maximum Ticketcount does not scale with players on a server, making small games longer and full games shorter
    -Tickets are no intuitive game element, making the game more complex and less easy to learn

5. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Or for the non-retarded people it creates another way to win, as performing better in combat than your enemy will eventually give you benefits over them.

If you suck at map control, res protection, and fighting, you suck at empires, and unless you want start playing the game for people at that point the best solution is a mercy kill, which is exactly what the system does. If the match goes stale, everyone loses, if a team is constantly performing worse, the game will give the opposing side a bonus over them to reward them for playing better and to help finish the game. If teams are closely matched then the game gets more volatile to try and destabilise the equilibrium and again force a resolution, without being as stupid and annoying as sudden death.

Basically be better at the game and you'll win, you can be better strategically in which case you get more res, or you can simply be better at shooting motherfuckers and you'll get spawn time bonuses and maybe damage bonuses.

I can't exactly suggest a way to make people who are bad at the game win, because the whole point of online FPS games is that you play well to win, not play badly to get handouts.

6. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

Oh I forgot we don't want a balanced gameplay but a rapid ending and a quick win. Well in that case we should always have only 50 tickets per map.

7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

No, because that has the problems I outlined, low tickets make good games impossible, lots of tickets make the function of tickets (to prevent stalemates) impossible.

I get the impression that your are mentally erasing 90% of my post and reading about five words total.

8. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Mental...what? Are you insulting me?! :mad:

9. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

lol@ikalx

I didn't ignore anythng from your post. I summed it up to:

be better->win

Meaning, why do we play for 30 minutes? We just need to play 1 minute to find out which team is better. After that minute let the game say: "Team xy is better, they win!"

10. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

You've completely failed in that statement, although I appreciate it may be the way you've worded it.

The better team comes from how well a team works together, that's the essence of Empires and why we play it. Too many people think it's about skill level and stax, but it's not, that's why Empires is good. I've seen too many otherwise crappy teams win against almost impossible odds to even think that. If that's what kinda game Empires is now, it's probably failed and come to the end of it's lifecycle tbh.

Playing for 1 minute doesn't tell you which team will win, and besides, if you are thinking that, why are you playing? That last sentence of yours makes no sense whatsoever. Why do you play the game?

11. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

Did you see me playing the game the last few weeks?

Besides that, my statement was related to the system chris suggested and why the loosing team should not additionally be punished, it was not about empires in general.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  12. FN198

FN198 Member

Empires is chess.
    The tickets represent the limited nature of pieces on the board. If we were to remove tickets then the number of pieces would never change. Imagine playing chess and trying to maneuver your pieces to checkmate the enemy king with all those pieces in the way? Removing tickets from empires would remove the endgame and take meaning away from the mid-game.
    I sincerely hope that you change your mind on this matter.

13. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Although unlike chess you can actually move around the board without taking pieces, and unlike chess you can temporarily incapacitate or demote pieces instead of taking them, and unlike chess IT'S NOT AT ALL LIKE CHESS.

Otherwise by your logic neither side would be completely unable to make any progress ever until the tickets ran out.

14. FN198

FN198 Member

It is very much chess-like. You may have checkmate while many pieces are still on the board. The differences between empires and chess are only in scale. Imagine how a much larger board allows for many more mistakes to be made, just like a much smaller classic map like valley is less forgiving to poor choices.

15. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

Ive never seen a new member get arrogant and full of himself as quickly as Sprayer

16. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

As much as he may be arrogant and full of himself, Sprayer certainly isn't new to Empires, even if he signed up to the forums only recently. I'm still superior to him in every way though.

17. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

hes german, dont blame him :P

18. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

if i follow that, you could argue that any game, as long as winning relies even remotely on strategy, would be like chess - and thats wrong ... the main differences between empires and chess is, that it requires well developed manual skills and reaction to be good at it, brains are more secondary, like many of this community show you over and over again :P

empires is closer related to team sport games, not boardgames ;)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  19. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Also you have clearly never seen me play chess because it certainly does not require strategy to play.

20. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

haello Vee gaytes