2islands_b2

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by my_fat_monkey, May 17, 2010.

1. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

No, it's a good map, it just stalemates too easily and has too much ninja'ing/parachuting, because there's only one path. The idea is good, with an additional path (as well as easier swimming) it can be a very good map.

2. my_fat_monkey

my_fat_monkey Oh you're my sister!

Updated the first post.

Thoughts?

3. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Is that useful? If both sections need to be extended to be used, then it's pretty much like slaughtered building the bridge - it'll be ignored until someone can sneak to the other side and activate both.

I also think it could be abused (a little), so if you do do it, make the break on the middle island, so they fall on something that'll not instantly kill them and waste money.

4. my_fat_monkey

Originally if you fell off the bridge you would fall onto the middle island.... I moved the island away thinking people would abuse it to drive tanks straight there (ignoring the side islands).

Should I allow "dropping in" on the middle island to be allowed you reckon?

I didn't think of the slaughtered situation.... I don't like the sound of that.

Also, 2 buttons for 2 bridges? Or maybe either button activates / deactives the bridge? Heh.... That would be interesting (and pretty shitty to the losing team I would imagine - keeping that bridge closed).

Seriously just throw me SOMETHING to work on. I have no idea what to do with this bridge.

5. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

its the layout that's got this map on a lock down. The current way you have it has the map in classic slaughtered theme, with the bottom portion being the S bend and the top bridge being the bridge in slaughtered. Then you add little infantry pathways to ninja to the other team, dunno man, only thing i could see you doing is making the geometry look nicer and that's it

6. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Just make a regular bridge, I would say. If you roll with that it should be very good. You don't need an extender bridge or anything like that, just have a regular bridge for a vehicle & accompanying squad presence and maybe gear the lower pathway to more infantry (which it probably is already as it's very zig-zagged).

Maybe add some bushes/trees on the islands? (the old screenies have gone so I forget how much there is). Typically, the bridge will allow a vehicle rush while the lower path will keep infantry pestering the tanks, and have a less of a 'grinding' front, which more skilled drivers will find fun.

I would add maybe a ladder from the middle island to the bridge and vice versa, so make it easy to get on. It should be a pathway for infantry escaping the middle of the bridge after maybe their support tank has been defeated (so they're not left stranded and don't die needlessly - which everyone hates), and also a pathway for infantry to get to the bridge if they're halfway along the bottom road and want to get up there. They shouldn't be totally locked-off paths, there should be some way to get up/down for infantry if they want/need to, other than going back to the start.

Imo, that's probably all it needs...you don't really want to go from a straight simple 1-road map to having loads of bells and whistles. If you do the slaughtered thing, but make the bridge permanent and open, instead of closed off, you can have 2 good paths and your map will become very good to play on.

7. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

hmm... perhaps the middle island has the button that makes the bridge work. That would make the island needed by BOTH sides badly and make it a hot war zone.

The reason I don't like the bridge by itself is that it seems like it would make the map rather short. Like who ever rushes the bridge first and sets up, wins.

8. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Well you shouldn't be able to build on the bridge, right? So what usually happens on 2islands as it is, is people rush out to the one pathway then push. Here all it'll be is you rush to the bridge, set up defenses and walls, then start flowing through the under path. Then, when you get vehicles, you take down the walls and push forward with the tanks as cover. Let's be fair here, bridges always get walled off or fortified, and the only thing that any team is going to have more than the other is maybe res flags on the bottom pathway?

The bridge is a rush route, or for when you're just pushing the enemy back more than they can handle. It's a short cut to end the map, and remove longer stalemates. That's basically how it'll work.

Having a button in the middle island isn't such a bad idea, but it means you'll have to hold the island to be able to push across the bridge, instead of being able to apply pressure over it regardless of what's going on underneath. Basically, the bridge and road underneath should act as two fairly separate paths that expands on the maps old 1 pathway system. It should be a direct and a bit of an indirect pathway.

Whether you want the map to act that way or not, is up to the maker. If you don't, and want to have more interesting things going on, I would recommend using bunkers/towers to allow infantry to traverse over certain areas easier.

Don't forget to think about what the impact of level 3 turrets will be on your map too. And as it is looking now, I would expect arties to play a fairly big role, but there's also large scope for other tanks through the bridge.

9. my_fat_monkey

ugh

I think I'll tidy some things up and release what i have now for testing.

I'm flipping between buttons / no buttons for the bridge.

I'm thinking that only a test would really show me what I should do.....

10. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

Should check out Plugne, i believe bumgravy made that map, sad that he wont' finish fixing it.... But none-the-less, the bridges he had were breakable in segments but you could repair the whole bridge buy building this engineer buildable in a bridge control tower type of building, pretty kwl system if you ask me.

11. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Bumgravy was awesome. I miss him.

12. my_fat_monkey

First Post Updated.

13. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

looks good lets play it.

14. my_fat_monkey

Just a few things to fix before I release a test version.

I'll upload it tomorrow or tonight probably, I'm capped like a bitch until the end of the month though >.>

15. Trickster

Australian internet sounds even more horrendous than British internet.

16. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

I miss his maps too D:
    Can't someone go and decompile them and fix them?

17. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

I've offered to do so and met nothing but harassment from this community.

18. Trickster

He said no.

19. my_fat_monkey

Why am I not surprised?

Also: Check the first post, new screenshots of shit.

20. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Ok, so while the water reminds of sex on the beach, I have just one problem with this map, it looks like the two pathways lead to roughly the same place?

Is that good?

Would you rather they lead to separate areas?

Jus' asking.