2islands_b2

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by my_fat_monkey, May 17, 2010.

1. my_fat_monkey

my_fat_monkey Oh you're my sister!

I'm going to remake the center bridge.

It shall be just a bridge - no bells or whistles.

What say you to the new look?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

the big bridge needs more love, especially the textures ...
    the roads dont make much sense to me, but well i can live with that ...

can you climb up the bridge from center? if not maybe add ladders at the pillars?

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I came several times.

More cover please though. Rocks etc. Also, your 3D skybox looks as if it isn't working properly in the first screenshot.

Small trick: Put a flat brush up against the edges of the inner map under water, and texture it something dark. It'll stop you seeing out into the skybox without the water fog.

4. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Wait, 2islands originally had 1 path, and maybe a soft-path with parachutes/swimming.

Now it has what, 3? Seems a bit like a complete change...maybe a good change, but doesn't look that great to me. I don't like the zigzag paths really, and I figure people will run up the centre path and drop off to the centre island (if you haven't accounted for that).What I would suggest instead of the zigzag roads is for you to make the water shallow in those areas, like a barely submerged path that vehicles could get across while not dying too. I think that'd look a lot better..

Just want to say, I'm not saying it's a crappy map, but more like...I just don't like it. Think it needs a lot of aesthetic touches atm (which i'm sure you'll do) but the shallow water is my preference.

5. my_fat_monkey

Yeah I'm not completely happy with it either - which is why I threw it up here to see what's.... 'WRONG' with it~
    =D

I know the skybox problem, aesthetics I'll leave until last (obviously), I don't know about making the bridge more appealing but I'm thinking about adding some ladders and infintry pathways underneath with ladders on the supports (thanks flasche).

The zig-zag bridges I'm going to leave in but I know I need to do SOMETHING interesting with them.... I don't know what yet (all I've done since was add some ladders >.<)

Any suggestions of what to stick in the center? I'm swapping between base-building (currently), a flag (tickets? resources?) or a res point.
    If it's a flag I'll probably make it bushy (like your mother) but I don't know....

Also I really need some thoughts on the spawn point in each island. I'm afraid the 1ticket/s drain + the spawn will destroy the island within minutes - on the other hand the previous version of the map suffered from long-ness (amongst other things).

And no I hadn't accounted for the running and jumping off the bridge scenario - thanks for that.

6. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

move the flag to on top of the building on each island.

The bridge in the middle is cool but that just makes me think, "wtf why have the other two ramps to middle?"

Zig zag in the road is... well different and weird(omg so many tanks are gana drown[I CANT STOP! AHHHH!]).

The ladder on the side of the mountain is cool but, its gana piss me off as scouts have another way to get to base. Why need another one there are already 3 now 4 ways.

Is it possible to build on bridge? I envision dropping a barax towards there side of the first half and spamming armories to advance to there base from bridge.

Might be cool if the middle bridge was was like a real bridge that goes up when a boat goes under. Have a switch for each side each switch drops part of the bridge. So like if you want to cross the bridge both switches have to be on, to have both parts of the bridge down to cross. That way you can have a scout get to that switch(maby hide it in the building next to bridge) hit the button and have your tanks run across.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  7. flasche

the problem with a boat going under it would be that there is an island in the way of the boats path ... ^^

8. ViroMan

Gah... you tard... I didn't mean for a boat to go under it I want the bridge to separate like that though.

9. flasche

uhm, excuse me, did i insult you?
    no? why do you insult me then?

10. ViroMan

cuz you often come across that way(a§§h0le I mean), so I just shot you first in case I missed something.

11. flasche

so people disagreeing or pointing out flaws are assholes? well you can look at it like that too. you perfectly fit in with the view of your government in terms of international relations though ...

12. my_fat_monkey

Oi tardfags, bitch somewhere else.

I think I will go ahead with that "raise the bridge" idea, I do quite like it.

Also if I were to move the flag to on top of the building it would never be re-captured (people spawn inside - right next to the ladders).

Also the point of the zig-zag bridges is to gain access to the two ref points in the center (the two islands). You can't get to them from the middle bridge.

13. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

Yea I think it would be fine w/ like 250 tickets, and make the roads straight.

14. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

For someone that made the most dreaded map on map rotation you have a really big mouth, oh... nevermind its about compensating bla bla bla...

15. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Lolwut? I love 2islands. Most dreaded maps are urbanchaos and shadows.

16. flasche

and i thought ppl would hate provinggrounds most ... really have to try harder :\

17. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

provinggrounds is money with a bunch of shit thrown between the bases in a manor in which vehicles are nearly restricted, i like both maps proving and 2islands, just needs better looking bridge through center

18. flasche

oh that was my full intention - it was never supposed to play out as mass vehicle map ...

ppl said they want as much resources as on money and i gave them :rolleyes:

19. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

This simple question made me think that maybe you should have the zigzagging roads to be buildable.

He's a pussycat, honestly.

20. my_fat_monkey

People like 2islands? *gasp!*

No seriously, I didn't think people did, lol!