2islands

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by my_fat_monkey, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

well, the area near the exit of the base is exposed anyways. Shooting at the middle is fair enough, as long as you can snipe any other place

2. Tim--coop

Tim--coop Member

LOL :D

3. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Marvellous, two islands bases connected by bridges.

You have created money, congratulations.

4. Demented

Demented Member

It ain't money unless there's lots of refineries and none in the middle. Which is a shame. This would be a very good replacement for money if that were the case.

5. my_fat_monkey

my_fat_monkey Oh you're my sister!

While this is resource-rich, I would hardly go so far as to liken it to money. The screenies (once I post them) will show you how~

6. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

The map layout looks interesting, but I want to ask you why you have refineries on this map at all. Unless everything is much bigger than it seems, this will be very close quarters. If you eliminate all the refineries, then the middle flag becomes much more important. There will be too much cross-fire to actually build the refineries on the bridge, and the refineries behind the hills will be as well protected as the island flags themselves anyways.

Also, don't let anyone tell you that the map is too small. Base building looks to be very fun, as long as the rocks provide enough protection from small artillery.

This is going to be a commander map, right?

7. Omneh

Omneh Member

Right, few things to consider;

- why do you keep using those godawful ugly trees? Search for orex in the model browser, they don't look amazing but they are a huge, huge improvement over those things.

- needs a lot more texture variety. I know its difficult when making terrain like that, but brown and grey is definitely not a good look.

- try some different water, that brown stuff tiles badly, looks nasty, and is generally a bad water to use for stuff like sea, especially when there are considerably better options in the SDK.

- the layout of the map is bound to cause some very nasty gameplay issues, games will stagnate quickly with only one viable route to the enemy, and it will turn into a wallspamfest negated only by arty and nukes, which isn't exactly ideal. try adding some alternative infantry routes at least.

8. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Even better, money without the unneccesary liberty of being able to waste tanks.

All the fun of a stalemate with none of the tedium of big tank spam. I love it.

9. Demented

Demented Member

Even better, there will be tank spam that is solved by a constant one-way traffic jam on the narrow single path bridges.

10. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

It's possible that one of the islands be made much more defensible and change the map to an attack/defend one. Meh. :confused:

11. my_fat_monkey

Well first of all I should mention that walls are disabled (whether that applies to the commander I wouldn't know however).

Yes I will change the water texture and tree's, but I'll do the ground textures later on.

I think I will remove refineries all together and replace them with flags, it appeals to me more now after reading your comments. Perhaps I should make all the flags bleeders if the other team captures them? That may stop prolonged games~

12. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

I would limit chasies if you make them flags. Might as well build staring bases and remove com all togeather.

13. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

srsly, release a version of the map, letss get a playtest on it before you switch to flags and bleeders... that is unnessecary.

14. my_fat_monkey

Lol.... a bit late Cpatton, I already changed it. Easy enough to change back though so no harm done~

<filler>

I'm umming and arring as to whether or not make it a comm map or a "build lots of tanks and kill the enemy faster than they kill you" map...

PS: Oh and I'm not releasing a version for testing until -I'm- 100% happy with it, which considering I keep changing my mind every day as to what I want.... lol....

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  15. Omneh

Omneh Member

The fog is nice but try to avoid the solidity (when it goes blank white) that doesn't look so great. you also need to set skybox fog, easiest way to do that is copy over the fog settings from env_fog_controller into the sky_camera.

I would honestly advise going for refineries instead of cap points and the like, since cap points never really work well in empires maps

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  16. my_fat_monkey

Yea I've already fixed the fog, I just can't be fucked getting more pics at 1am.....

And I'll think about it overnight as to make it refinaries or flags, I'll be honest and say I'm lenient towards flags at the moment though (but thank you for your advice OMNI)~

17. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

you took out the minimap/overview, can you put it back up plz?

otherwise most of the debate in this thread doesnt make sense

18. spellman23

spellman23 Member

Make mental picture of two islands with bridges between them. =]

But seriously, minimap is required. Plz Re-post!

19. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I would suggest removing the fog as it adds nothing unless you use it carefully, which you really can't on an open map.

20. my_fat_monkey

The idea of the fog was to hide the 'vehicle draw distance', so it doesn't appear that tanks are just 'popping' out of mid-air when viewing from across the map. I plan to tweak it a fair bit until I'm happy~

<filler>

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009