2.5 Test #3 - PLAYTEST - Sunday 9th March - 20:00 GMT, 4pm EST, 1pm PST

Discussion in 'Testing Discussion' started by Candles, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

With Trickster out busy dodging bullets and bombs, he can't organize or attend tests anymore, so I suppose I ought to organize some tests now (Programmer's doing organizing? This can't end well.)

Still haven't pushed out any of the few features I have stashed away because I want to be certain that all the major bugs are gone. I've fixed the prone stuff and crashing from impacts on ragdolls, so we finally have something playable now. My permissions on SVN are still fucked though, so if they're still fucked an hour or two before the test, I'll post the updated binaries and have someone else do the commit for me.

After the test, all bug reports can just go in this thread, and I want everyone posting bugs they experienced. I'd rather several people post the same bug a few times over a person not posting one because they think someone else has posted.

Finally, I'll be making a locked stickied thread for consolidating all the reported bugs. That way the discussions can be in the actual testing threads and there'll be a post above the rest of the threads giving the run-down on what problems there still are. The only time someone doesn't have to report a bug is if I've already put it in the stickied thread. If it isn't, assume that I don't know about it and it needs to be reported.

EDIT: I've decided to change the time to 4PM EST and 1PM PST on the basis of Daylight Savings time changing in the United States before it changes in Europe. For people not in the United States, it should still be the same, if you base your time off of whatever time it is in the UK.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  2. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

I wasnt sure about scheduling a test this week because I didnt know how bugfixing was coming.

This clashes with lazybums pug

3. Candles

Derp, fuck, you're right. This is what happens when you let a programmer do scheduling. It'll be on Sunday then, unless people want it at like 2 PM PST/10PM GMT on Saturday.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  4. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Go for the different day.

5. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

I've updated SVN with new dlls from candles, make sure to update.

Also, please (as usual) update before the test just to make sure there haven't been any last minute changes.

6. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

rev1575. chances ill attend are good

7. Silk

Silk Mapper

Something I found by accident:

In current Empires if you get killed by a turret that spawns with the map and therefor has no owner, the killmessage would just be the turret symbol and the player that get killed.

On coast today in svnpires we noticed that it sais "ERRORNAME <turret symbol> <playername>"

8. Candles

So I fucked up with Daylight Savings Time and didn't realize that the US pushes it's clocks an hour ahead two weeks before Europe does. I've decided to move the test to 1 PM PST and keep it at 8 PM GMT, because it'll be easier to tell people that arrive at 12 PM PST to just come back in an hour or have them check the thread instead of trying to get people in Europe to arrive an hour earlier when it's hard to get a message out to all of them.

9. Silk

Silk Mapper

Minor thing: right mouse clicking with the mortar (alternate fire) brings up the minimap but in a very glitchy way

10. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

• Players spawning inside each other on District at the second NF flag. (map issue?)
    • Unproning while someone is standing on top of you causes both players to get stuck in each other.
    • Weird stuck looping sounds coming from a random specific location. (Old bug, no known reproduction steps. Tends to happen most with ML Turrets.)
    • Chromehtml spiking in the +showbudget panel.
    • HE Cannon only has 10 ammo.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  11. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I couldn't replicate it, but once while I was firing UML and HE cannon on a nf medium I crashed straight to desktop. I know I was firing at a be building, if that is any help.

I also crashed as I witnessed freak or spike flipping their own command vehicle. Like a second after it landed I crashed. I may have been firing, so it may be related to the above, I don't remember.

12. HaschteWas

HaschteWas Member

Huge FPS drop compared to SDK 2007 version on certain machines (for me i7-3610QM, 12GB DDRIII and NVIDIA Geforce GTX 675M running Windows 7).
    +showbudget shows that most of it is because of "Unaccounted" actions.

Compare SDK 2007:
    http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/594778719149257720/7A3A66F6F2E288B92EFF67C4AFADB25ACF5437F5/

with SDK 2013
    http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/594778719148826974/F41BA382DF9D081EC561BC747CE3FEAE223B3D69/

I cannot believe that you only get 70 FPS with above machine specs on an empty map.
    On canyon it can even drop from 250 to ~100...

Even if (on some machines) you don't notice any bad performance,
    you may have a look what causes the high number of "Unaccounted" actions,
    because they are not present in SDK 2007 version.

13. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Think this has always been like that. (or it has for a long time atleast)

This test completely slipped my mind until just there now

14. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

If you get stuck on random vertices on the buildings, you can get killed. There's a spot that is definite in the NF vehicle factory which is located on the grey band of metal beside the entrances, you can jump "into" it, and I was walking over the BE refinery and randomly got stuck and died. 100% reproducible on the NF vehicle factory.

15. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Does this happen on current empires?

For bug reports please only post things that are caused by the port if possible or else candles will be here forever fixing bugs

16. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

yes current empires and past empires.

17. complete_

complete_ lamer

it happened to me too. i like jumping into buildings and i don't believe it ever happened to me in regular empires

18. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Oh yeah, small script problem with regards to he cannon, clip size is 0, according to that script list trickster posted it should be 2. (36shots?)

19. Candles

In normal Empires, you can get stuck on random vertices, but it won't kill you. There's some problem with the buildings that causes the game to think the player is falling until either their position is so extreme in one direction that the game thinks you're out of the world and kills you, or your velocity gets so high that you SLAM! into the ground and die instantly.

Regarding the fixability of it, I have no idea why it does it. To be specific, I have no idea why the game thinks there's nothing under the player when it happens and I have no idea why certain parts of certain models would do it over others.

For the frame issues, the problem is that "Unaccounted" is pretty hard to account for. Essentially, it's everything that isn't already listed in the budget panel, which, as anyone can imagine, is an awful lot of things. Plus, if it's something that isn't consistent from machine-to-machine, it makes it very hard to find a cause. I actually gain ~25% frames in the port.

I'm wondering if it might be a compiler thing that likes my computer and doesn't like yours though. That's a definite possibility.

20. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i thought coffeeburrito fixed that years ago?

also i did not notice any bad performance, only my eyes bled from missing cubemaps ...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014