2.42 Balance plans

Discussion in 'General' started by Trickster, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Oh I didn't know that the test version wasn't working. Still, I'm gonna agree with what z1oom said. Even if there isn't a lot players currently it would be better to have the current hardcore player base just test it out, so when the game gets fixed and new people can play they will come to a better balanced game.

Also I swear I heard from multiple people that the reason no one is joining lately is because of midterms or finals or something. Old players should come back in January. And by old I mean people who were playing during the summer.

2. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Current weapons and/or research balance is certainly NOT Empires' biggest gameplay flaw.

3. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

This. I shall return, but not until the 20th. Lots of university students make up the current Empires player base.

4. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Except for one com to be able to wall the other one, I don't know a single worse thing if we are indeed discussing gameplay. Any faggetry such as excessive jeeping that breaks some maps with the use of turbo are server owners fault. Trickster has nothing to do with that.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

comm could always wall eachother and i barely ever heard anyone complain about it. also you can only wall comms who are sitting around in comm mode. saying itd be the most pressing problem with empires would be more then exaggerated.
    the imbalance in where you can get a cv stuck at is a major flaw though - be has a huge advantage here, getting their cv stuck on an engi radar is way harder then getting it stuck on a turret, wallpiece or random map feature which nfs cv is predestined for - it almost like nf engineers thought "hey lets build a monstertruck that gets stuck on the slightest elevation".

6. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

The reason you didnt hear about it was because noone used that. I've played the game for 6 years and only seen it happen in last 3 months. If that indeed was possible before AND everyone (apparently except for me) knew about it, they didnt do it.

Also, you can wall in someone even if he is in drive mode, so yeah.

But that doesnt negate your points about nf cv being shit. I wish someone would just downscale it.

On another "this needs fixing, but never will" note, wheels should have hitboxes.

7. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Zoom raises a good point. Release the balance scripts and let the select few that can run the game test them in the field. Then, you will be able to input any necessary changes to the fix patch and suddenly we're all ahead of the curve.

8. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

well i often used it endgame to prevent comm chases - i learned it the hard way from sonecha quite some years ago when we where wrestling in the north of mvalley at times when we still could commrush (iirc). i assume if it now turns into a problem its because of very low player populations. empires was never designed to work under a certain threshold of about 10 players per team, which admitably now is a big issue. also i fully agree to the wheels thing even if its fun to park on your own level3s (its actually quite effective against newbies, it takes them ages to figure out where the hell the turret is, and with that low recycle times its only dangerous if you are distracted and ontop its not such bad protection against shells for your turret aslong you dont get yourself killed ^^)

9. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Yeah flasche is right. Walling in the other commander is something you only really bother to do in low pop games because having only like 2 tanks following it around isn't really enough to kill it, the commander just heads back to base. Walling in the other comm when he is exposed and in a good position for your team to get to is chance many are willing to take for a variety reasons. Especially if you are nf, because most people can't handle be heavies.

The only person I see wall in the other comm in a big game is fn, who always tries to win the game in under 15 minutes. Other commander being a moron and parking right next to enemy barracks not withstanding.

10. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

My boom tanking is directly proportional to the amount of alcohol I have consumed.

Just like my pool game the magic number is between 2 & 5 beers. After that my ambition outstrips my skill and I will try and wall the enemy commander next to his own barracks on the strength of having 2 grens next to me.