2.25 Infantry Balance

Discussion in 'Coding' started by Beerdude26, Feb 22, 2010.

1. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

But good scouts will always get head shots.

2. OuNin

OuNin Member

Yeah?

Being more skilled should mean higher yields.

3. communism

communism poof

Have scout rifle be unlocked at 40 points, would keep content and a scout getting 40 points would know better than to use it

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

This could work.

5. Empty

Empty Member

I'd prefer to make the scout rifle a clone of the BE long range rifle (not the carbine, I have something else in mind) that has a scope and is less effective on the move than the standard long range rifle.
    And give it to the rifleman rather than the scout. Scouts are a much better tool in trenches.

6. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Only resason the scout is usefull is because it has the sabbotage abbility.
    If you remove that theirs no reason to go scout beside sticky stuns. Making
    the scout rifle more powerfull only results in a class that fills the same niche
    as the rifleman with a long range rifle.

Edit: A superpowerfull scout rifle would be only countered by itself, means its futile
    cause it negates itself. And beside that I dont really get why people insist on super
    arcade sniper weapons that behave zero like in reality but want the automatic guns
    to be semi realistic. If you give players a deadly sniper that always hit dead centre,
    you also have to remove recoil from every assault rifle because that would move
    both weapons on the same arcade level.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

yea, like how i did it in my infantry scripts :D

8. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Whats the direction for balance atm?
    Is it based on rts unit balancing or fps balancing?

9. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

I just check the SVN version and the buffed scout rifle is still there! :o

"Falloff" "5000" (was 2500)
    "MinimalDamage" "40" (was 15)

Don't you see that this weapon can make many open maps unplayable while it adds nothing to gameplay!

10. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

im gonna add my point of view for the hundrest time, maybe it eventually shows effect - tho i seriously doubt it ...

first of all, and actually that sums it up already, remove the scout rifle.

if you change the scoutrifle so it kills with one head- or two bodyshots (assuming its still bolt action) like everyone knows sniper rifles to be out of other games you will stumble across another issue - when not camping beyond a tree as scout yourself, you might find yourself in desperate need for cover to even get a foot out of a barracks.
    since i know empires it always has been an action based game with little space for camping - everything is about rushing, breaking through the lines and flanking. camping doesnt win you anything, not even on the infantry maps - but thats exactly what youd create - a bunch of players that is too scared to move ...
    so obviously the most intuitive approach to the scout rifle - making it work similar to other games - is pretty much counter productive in our particular situation. maps need to be open to provide space to place buildings, but on the other hand you'd need cover to get close enough to pose a threat to snipers yourself.

you might say "place walls then", but its not the same. first of all, walls not only help your team, they can quickly turn into something you whish youd never have placed. and second, all that walls would either cost the commander a fortune, not even talking about the amount of micro it would take to efficiently place them, or you would force people into the roll of engineer even more (so they can use their walls all across the map).
    forcing a certain behavior upon players imo is a very bad design decision, you should give player tools to fullfil a job, not make them repeat a certain procedure 15A over and over again.

another issue with it is that the scout rifle doesnt really fit the concept of scouts as a whole anyway. sabotage is a "close quater combat" ability, and all three types of nades dont fit much with sniper range either (for stickies its only the most obvious). and even, tho most wannabe snipers use it, hide is probably the most useless skill to take when you prefered fire range is the render distance - at those ranges you barely notice immobile targets that crouch/prone next to some map geometry anyway.

actually i thought at some point that decision was already made within the devteam, or at least it was said so - the scoped rifle was intended to get replaced with another weapon - presumably a shotgun.

sadly, as we all know, empires lacks modelers and it got delayed and delayed. finally - after enough whining - someone touched the scoutrifles scripts and nerfed the weapon to a state you could describe as "spitting at the enemy would cause more damage".

so, again, get rid of the scout rifle. if you dont have a replacement, dont bother. an "intentionally broken" weapon is way worse than one weapon less ...

tl;dr or "i-dont-get-it" version:
    remove scout rifle, it doesnt fit with empires mainly due to being forced to run across open ground. also scout currently already is a frontline support class which doesnt need a sniper rifle anyway.

edit: i almost forgot to mention - scout with SMG2 close combat sabbing the rax while punching guys in the face is way more fun anyway ;)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  11. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

the only way i see a scout rifle work is when we change the game conciderably

12. Empty

Empty Member

I'd rather have a useable sniper rifle than a shit one.
    It's the most effective way to remove HMGers that are out of grenade distance.

13. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

the mowtar is easy to hit prone HMG whores with. It's just that they barley get hurt by them..

Just use the carbine or nfhr if you wanna snipe them.

Knowing what direction you were just shot from would be a step forward.. You know like every other FPS has.

14. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I just read the first post of that thread.
    You want to switch the scout rifle with the nfhr/carbine?
    For what reason, giving the scout the most powerfull guns in the game?
    Making the scout the essential anti infantry class?
    I dont know what others will do if thats get implemented but I can tell
    you what I would do. I would only play rifleman if I have to use stickie nades.
    For all my anti infantry stuff I would choose the scout class cause it has the
    most powerfull guns against infantry in the game the becar and nfhr. I would
    never (maybee just for fucking around) use the rifleman with the scout rifle
    cause its so completly inefficient to kill stuff. You would have to make it a
    one hit kill weapon at any range to be on the same level with the carbine/nfhr.

15. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Make the scout rifle usable just because we have one doesn't work as argument.

Also the argument that you need it to take out HMGers is very weak. How often do you confront a rifleman with HMG on commander maps?
    And even when there are some they are only effective on short or medium distance. Easy to counter with MG turret, Mortar/RPG, NFAR, BEAR, NFHR, BEcar.
    And even on maps like district the HMG has only a very limited role, because you can't use it for rushing.

16. Empty

Empty Member

Duststorm centre rax gets locked down by a digin rifleman early game if he gets into position.

17. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

actually one well placed hmg gunner can protect the whole middle on district

18. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

And then the only effective way to kill him is a buffed scout rifle?

I know many mortar whores, who will kill him very fast.

19. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Do I really have to test how many mortar shots you need to kill a dig in rifleman?

20. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i know this does not make any sense at all, but what if we make it a "stun" gun, disabling players for 5-10 seconds and being generally really weak at damage

like if you hit someone with it, his stamina drains to 0, and he cannot move or shoot until the effect wears off

this would be a great way to take out a guy who is holding an area in his own, or is constantly repaired by engineers etc making a wall of lead since it does not matter if he is dead or alive he cannot do anything for 5 seconds at the very least

but it cant be used as a sniper rifle taking out guys from afar, however, it can be used to stop people from rushing at you, since when people are stunned, they can be killed by someone else or by a pistol