2.25 Infantry Balance

Discussion in 'Coding' started by Beerdude26, Feb 22, 2010.

1. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

• open maps due to building
    • not enough vegetation as (visual) cover due to engine limits
    • snipers are overdone and mainly attract campers
    3 nuff?

2. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Is this so hard to see?
    Longe range combat will always suck, especially when you don't know from where you are getting attacked.

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I have nothing to do with those scripts anymore. I said I either wanted them removed from 2.25, or absolve all responsibility from them. They're unfinished, but any problems now are the developer team's problems, not mine. If they want to change them, that's their choice. I never buffed the scout rifle, one was already a minimum of 40 (NF), the other wasn't. I simply brought the BE one up.

4. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Ok.

Then the only problem is, that we still have no active scripter in the development team.:(

5. flasche

dont worry, HSM will save us all ... :rolleyes:

6. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

[​IMG]

the best

7. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

well, forcing skills or score for the scout rifle or HMG would be a pretty massive nerf. I mean, these weapons are most effective when vehicles have yet to enter the battlefield. sniper scouts are totally useless once tanks start rolling, regardless of the power of the sniper rifle, since they're out of position to do anything at all about tanks. riflemen are usually 'stuck in with the boys,' so to speak, and get plenty of opportunities to sticky tanks as they drive by/through.

i'm not sure if this is THE way to balance hmg/scout rifles, but it certainly would be ONE way. I'm tired of this bullshit with the scout rifle being basically worthless, though. it's the only weapon that distinguishes the scout from the engineer, and the engineer gets so much in return. Either get rid of it and just admit that the scout is the fifth wheel of empires classes or fix the glitches and buff it to make it useful.

I don't understand the community's obsession in general about the power of the scout rifle. every single one of the rifleman's weapons is all as lethal as hell at practically any range. The carbine is basically a sniper rifle in its own aspect. every single other class is at a huge disadvantage against riflemen, and until tanks roll out, basically the only thing that can kill a rifleman is another rifleman. Scouts would at least add SOME diversity to the initial class makeup.

8. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Scout is very useful, when he concentrate on his main skill: sabotage.
    The scout rifle is just unnecessary.

The main difference is that rifleman usually don't camp somewhere hidden. They rush with their team.
    Of course scouts can also rush with their team but it has shown, that a scoped rifle with the ability to hide enforces camping.

9. Omneh

Omneh Member

Because running around pressing E on enemy buildings is real fun, right?

I'm again going to suggest changing the scout rifle into what would essentially be a scoped NFHR.

The weapon would be edited so it stays scoped after firing, and the scope would move quite a lot while firing, encouraging players to time their shots if they hope to hit anything at a distance.

As a result of this (and perhaps some reasonable falloff as well) the weapon would naturally encourage players to get closer rather than camp. A low max ammo capacity and high ammunition usage, due to the number of shots required to kill someone especially at range, and the care one has to take in aiming it (as well as a jumpy scope, there would be a base innacuracy that would be evident at very long ranges) would make it far less suited to lone wolfing.

As far as damage goes, it should take no less than three or four hits to kill someone (two headshots on an non rifleman would perhaps be acceptable), with a twelve round clip limiting the amount of hurt you could lay down to acceptable levels.

10. flasche

thats mere a wish isnt it? hand ppl ANY weapon with a scope attached and they try to use it at the maxium possible range - hell i bet they'd even try to camp with a knife that has a scope attached :rolleyes:

11. Empty

Empty Member

Jesus christ the weapons entire use is to hit people from outside their maximum range, don't try to take that away from the gun.

The problem wouldnt exist if it did solid 40 damage, 80 on a headshot and we dropped the scope sway. Just get to cover when a scout hits you and you'll be fine.

12. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

So get to cover and... stay there? How the fuck do we know where hes shooting from? Am I on the rite side of cover? I've said it many times.. Most FPS' have indicators of what direction you got shot from when you do.. This game doesn't have that... And on top of that you got him on some hill with hide behind a bush shooting past our vis distance?

13. Empty

Empty Member

Tracers.
    They're ingame for a reason.

14. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Yeah specially if they hit you from behind.. Or a side or straight at you... ..... COME ON EMPTY! Are you playing the game or looking around for tracers?

15. Empty

Empty Member

For a gren you have shitty situational awareness bro.

Scouts 90% of the time will be in front of you, in enemy territory.

You should be looking forwards 90% of the time, and if he does kill you, surely someone will have the intelligence to figure out where he is and kill him for you.

This isn't a game where you can win every situation, you've been playing for years, how can you not know this yet?

16. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

jesus christ, it's a game and you're going to die, get over yourselves. what difference does it make if you get mowed down from 500 yards away from an invincible rifleman with a death lazor or picked off by an invisible scout?

17. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Simple thing is, tracers are all you need. If you can't focus on where you're getting shot from, then you deserve to die. No questions about it. A nice muzzleflash for the scout rifle wouldn't go amiss though. Like a flash.

18. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

It's not about dying. It's about having no counter to something. You can see traces when your watching them hit someone else.

I'm not talking about money or slaughtered empty. I'm talking about the good empires maps with wide open areas where a scout can just walk in a completley different direction then the rest of his team and lay there for hours.

You think that's a good game mechanic? I can counter rifleman because they can't turn invisible and most of them are not prone from a flanked position. I remember on Duststorm a scout racking up 20 kills no deaths because he was on some hill the entire round with hide. His team still lost but there was no way to find or counter him.

I guess we can just go spec and find him from now on tho huh..

19. Empty

Empty Member

Did you try buying a tank and running him over.
    Or I dunno, going around the back and punching his fucking face in.

20. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Yeah cause first off 32 people/10 tanks I should buy one to kill 1 scout and secondly, If I knew where he was I would of fucking killed him.. Plus on a hill a tank can't drive on..